Bob Dole should be ashamed of Bob Dole - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
Either way, half of this country's voters are going to be crushingly disappointed on the day after the election.
I'm leaving town the day after the election........and I'm going to D.C.! I hope I'm not disappointed. The press is claiming that this is the most impassioned, charged election since 1968. Sheesh...

Old 08-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I turn 18 THREE DAYS AFTER the election....talk about pain....I'll probably be in DC around then too.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, about those polls in the swing states. I read something about this stuff in a blog. They took absurdly low samples, and gave them MOE's as high as 8%. Actually, as per the day after the election, I expect to be relieved, not really happy if we lose, but even so I'll have a big weight off of me. I may really want to hit that shrine the first thing.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

Who on the left is out there lying about/smearing Bush's service record? When Bush's missing months in the National Guard get as much media play as Kerry's purple hearts, then you can say that Democrats are "just as guilty." Google "bush national guard" and "kerry vietnam" to see the disparity between the coverage of the two issues.

Do you know anything about the Bush campaign's smear campaign against John McCain in the 2000 Republican primaries? When Kerry pulls stuff like this, then you can accuse Deomcrats of being "just as bad."
Democrats have been attacking George Bush's guard services for nearly 5 years now! Sorry, but a simple google search does not prove your point. Kerry has his own attack force with people like (Michael Moore, sitting at the democratic convention with Jimmy Carter) Moveon.org and all kinds of other groups supposedly independent of the democrats and John Kerry.

There is no way that either side can suggest they hold the higher ground on this issue.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #20
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Jimmy Carter...now THERE'S a dangerous, subversive, mean-spirited individual.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Jimmy Carter - He's Histories Greatest Monster!
Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quietly assembling houses for the poor while he contemplates world domination...

Personally, I don't think he was a good president, but he's been a wonderful human since leaving office.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Just in case, that was a reference from The Simpsons (Episode 80 of the show, aired season 4 - Marge in Chains, man im a nerd) where they didn't raise enough money to buy a Lincoln statue and instead... settle for something more affordable.

Quimby: I give you our 39th President, Jimmy Carter.
first guy: Oh, come on!
second guy: He's history's greatest monster!

Carter shows that millitary service does not equal great leadership of a nation or political saavy, a message that I thought democrats were touting in the Clinton years both against George Bush and Bob Dole.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:08 AM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Democrats have been attacking George Bush's guard services for nearly 5 years now! Sorry, but a simple google search does not prove your point.

Let's see...

Exhibit A: Went to 'nam, got a few medals, and 3 purple hearts for being wounded.

Exhibit B: Applied to the National Guard and was accepted on the very same day even though there was something like a 3-month waiting period, and no one can seem to recall him even showing up for that.

And no one can suggest they hold the higher ground on this issue??

I'm sorry, but if you reversed the D and R on these two guys, Exhibit B would be front page news and Fox news fodder from now til election day. Bush would be hailed as a war hero, and the democrats would try to steer clear of the subject completely.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:06 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh its so good that people can respect the service of others, Bush served in the Air National Guard - are people denigrating that service and the service of other National Guardsman both then and now?

Do people think that any idiot can fly a fighter jet? Do they understand that working the controls of an underpowered F-102 with all of its mechanical quirks is not the same thing as burning a draft card an running off to Canada. Bush did not have some immunity from being for combat duty in Vietnam.

Kerry served his country honourably, but then he came home and leveled very serious accusations against his "band of brothers", if we were to listen to Kerry then those he served with that support him are all war criminals. There should be scrutiny to what he has said, by elevating his position as a strong leader on the basis of his millitary service and having other organizations denigrate Bush he should accept that he will be held to account for his own actions. One cannot look to Kerry's own political record without raising some questions about his position on issues of national security.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by cydewaze

Let's see...

Exhibit A: Went to 'nam, got a few medals, and 3 purple hearts for being wounded.

Exhibit B: Applied to the National Guard and was accepted on the very same day even though there was something like a 3-month waiting period, and no one can seem to recall him even showing up for that.

And no one can suggest they hold the higher ground on this issue??

I'm sorry, but if you reversed the D and R on these two guys, Exhibit B would be front page news and Fox news fodder from now til election day. Bush would be hailed as a war hero, and the democrats would try to steer clear of the subject completely.
Guess who's father was accused of "war crimes" and "date Rape"? George Bush Sr. in 1992. Accusations by liberal groups accused the former president of strafing civilians in World War II and raping a date.

I'm sorry, but neither party holds the higher ground on the issue of mud slinging and proving other wise is indeed futile.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I'm sorry, but neither party holds the higher ground on the issue of mud slinging and proving other wise is indeed futile.
that may very well be true. what democratic supporters are upset about is the fact that the republican party seems to have much greater influence within press circles such that kerry's viet-nam issues get exceptional amounts of play, in spite of on-going events in iraq and domestic poverty issues (both of which would reasonably be considered of tantamount importance heading into an election) while the most mainstream press attention bush's service record actually gets is in michael moore films. bush's record is certainly not discussed on the nightly network news of the big 3.

while both may do it, the republican's seem to do it much better. or much worse.

either way, no one is focusing on what matters.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:51 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I have to agree kobayashi, let's get the hell out of Vietnam and onto Iraq, health care and the economy. That's what the voters want to hear, regardless of their party or political views.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
I find it funny to assume that the GOP has control of the media based on the SBVT coverage.

The media, in looking to "sell" their product, needs new and fresh material all the time. From this perspective, Iraq is an old product.

And political views drive what people "want" to hear or how it is framed.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I find it funny to assume that the GOP has control of the media based on the SBVT coverage.

The media, in looking to "sell" their product, needs new and fresh material all the time. From this perspective, Iraq is an old product.

And political views drive what people "want" to hear or how it is framed.
i never said that the GOP has control over anything. merely they are better at conveying their message.

you are correct, to some extent media outlets will meet the demands of their consumers. but the media has an undeniably neccessary agenda setting role to play. while i no longer have the resources to monitor news the way i did when i was in school, i can tell you wolf blitzer talked about viet nam and the rnc before mentioning the american poverty report last week. all told, this short story aired around 45 minutes into the hour long program. that is comical. and saddening.