"Blessed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
I hear it all the time. Religious people with a lot of earthly goods who always say they are 'blessed.'

I have some questions. Does this mean those of us without so much wealth or goods are not 'blessed'? Does this mean God gave them the stuff because he likes them best? I don't believe that, but maybe they do?

Why is it, also, that some of the greediest, most crooked businessmen in the world have so much, while so many good people have so little? Are they "blessed?" Why would they be, instead of a poor, nicer person?

I know there are some justifications like that God is 'testing' you if you're having a hard life, so does that mean if I pass the 'test' I too will be 'blessed?' Since I haven't been, does that mean I failed? Did the greedy businessmen pass? Or was it only the well off religious people? I am at a loss on this one.

Do any of you have any ideas or philisophical reasoning on this?

The teaching of Calvinism pretty much told the the first capitalists in the late 18th and early 19th century, that if they are wealthy it is good and they shouldn't hesitate but increase their wealth further.

That was some kind of an excuse they than could use.
That time, people were very religious and what we call fundamentalism today, then was pretty much the standard.
Then Calvinism came up so that the rich entrepreneurs wouldn't feel so bad by exploiting the workforce and getting richer and richer.

Even Mother Theresa thought, people that are poor are so because God wanted it to be so.

Thank you for the info, I didn't know any of that. I am surprised about Mother Theresa, but not the Industrialists. Wealthy, greedy people will always find a way to make themselves right.

People do use their beliefs to suit themselves. If they want to believe God wanted them to be rich, then anything they did was justified to them, even the way the treated the workers. They must also have believed the workers were meant to have a bad life!

In Mother Theresa's case, she believed EVERYTHING was the will of God, so that must include poverty.

Myself, I just don't know...

I don't belief, hence it's my responsibility to make something out of my life.

I also don't belief in anyone living in poverty should do so because there is a higher power or anything that wants it to be so (which would be very cruel in my view).

I don't blame Mother Theresa for the way she believed. It's rather just consequent to think, everything is caused by the will of God poverty must have the same reason.

I myself wouldn't like to have more many than I could ever spend in my life on several bank accounts, when at the same time millions of people are starving because they don't have a penny.

When I did my door knocking job for World Vision in Australia I once came to a house where you could see the owners aren't starving at all.
The son entered the door, probably my age, around 20, and he came with the same argument, that he doesn't belief everybody who is rich necessarily has to give to the poor and so on.

A couple of minutes before a couple (both retired, she is deaf, he also has difficulties to hear properly and they aren't wealthy at all) were more than happy that I came and immediately decided to help one of the children.

I also discovered that some of the really rich people either were rude, or they were this kind of donators that like to give publicly so that there will be made a big sign for them in regards of their commitment.

Of course, that's not always the case, but I also didn't meet one rich person that was willing to even listen to me.

Vincent Vega said:

Then Calvinism came up so that the rich entrepreneurs wouldn't feel so bad by exploiting the workforce and getting richer and richer.

Well, Calvinism/Protestantism is a major reason for capitalism, but this statement has nothing to do with the theological factors in favor of capitalism. What you're describing is religious people who are already greedy and selfish using Calvinism as their excuse.

Butterscotch said:
I hear it all the time. Religious people with a lot of earthly goods who always say they are 'blessed.'

Do any of you have any ideas or philisophical reasoning on this?

I defer to Jesus, and he said "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

The full text:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

IMO, you can't feel truly blessed unless you have empathized with and put yourself in the place of others. People who are greedy and selfish can't say in truth that they are blessed because they haven't made any effort to see what life is like for those who have less wealth and opportunity.

i don't think accumulation of wealth and goods are an indicator of being "blessed". people you overhear say that are wrong. WRONG I SAY!!!!

i've always thought blessings is another term for "gifts from God" having a tv as big as your couch is not a gift from God. however, seeing beauty in all things, not being afraid to talk to people different from yourself, and giving love freely are blessings.

i also consider certain things in my life blessings when they have turned my life around into a more positive direction. like, my dog is a blessing. not because i own a dog and i like to own things. but because he has brought so much love into my life.

i also believe simple living is a blessing. ever since i made the committment, ive been more open to people, sharing of ideas, and just embracing of new friends and experiences. it is a blessing to not get trapped under all your possessions because you can leave yourself open to experiencing real love in your life.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

Well, Calvinism/Protestantism is a major reason for capitalism, but this statement has nothing to do with the theological factors in favor of capitalism. What you're describing is religious people who are already greedy and selfish using Calvinism as their excuse.

Yes, but the teachings of Calvinism came up that time (they were invented earlier, but the industrialization was some kind of a renaissance), and some sentences then were even written on the example of the entrepreneur who has the God given right to increase their wealth.

Of course the sources for the Calvinistic teachings of that time were entrepreneurs themselves, who else should write something like that.
And they were thankfully adopted by the entrepreneurs to justify their doing.

That got then told their children, and so this way of thinking got stuck with some.

Butterscotch said:

I don't usually hear it in that context. I'm not very religious. When I say it i'm not referring to wealth, which I don't have. I'm saying I'm grateful for what I do have. It's a reminder to myself that I should appreciate it and recognize others are less fortunate.

Vincent Vega said:

Yes, but the teachings of Calvinism came up that time (they were invented earlier, but the industrialization was some kind of a renaissance), and some sentences then were even written on the example of the entrepreneur who has the God given right to increase their wealth.

There are many post-Calvinist "teachings" that were not taught or addressed by Calvin. These ideas are more like spin-offs. This is one example. Another good one is TULIP. Both are commonly accepted as "Calvinist" beliefs by pretty much everyone except Calvinists that believe in the teachings of Calvin. Neo-Calvinism/mainstream Protestantism (at that time) - yes. Calvinism - not as much. I've always wondered why we name belief systems after people, but then ignore what these people were actually trying to say.

An entrepreneur has a right to increase his wealth and opportunity. It doesn't mean that this happened because he was somehow higher in God's favor than a poor person, or that he can say he is a better person simply because he is more wealthy. To say this would be against Calvinism, because you'd be saying that this person did something/somehow earned God's blessing through his own works. No, for a Calvinist, you are blessed by God and because of such, you should rejoice in this blessing and Grace by making a place for yourself in the world (the Christian Reformed refer to this as a "calling" - "the place where my deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet")

Last edited:
Interested, because even my school book didn't make a difference there and just called it Calvinism.

I wouldn't blame an entrepreneur to increase his wealth.

Just the way they did at the time of industrialisation, and how they viewed their workforce, or today's rich that don't care but for the billions on their bank accounts are makes me feel sad.

And then to justify it with belief is very poor.

Vincent Vega said:
Interested, because even my school book didn't make a difference there and just called it Calvinism.

You were right from the beginning, capitalism does have very strong roots in Calvinism, but just not the way that people normally think. Calvinists believe that people strive for success in this world as a result of already being blessed by God, not as the blessing itself, if that makes any sense. A blessing is infusing something with divine holiness. To a Calvinist, being blessed is simply existing within God's creation, having been created in the image of God. A blessing is not the "something"/tangible object itself (money, etc). It's more of an act than an object. Calvinism is not to be used as an excuse for the very wealthy being greedy and saying "well I EARNED this so I shouldn't have to share." We recognize that it was the initial blessing from God that allowed us to be successful, and thus we are expected by God to use our success to help others. To not do so is greedy and selfish.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

You were right from the beginning, capitalism does have very strong roots in Calvinism, but just not the way that people normally think. Calvinists believe that people strive for success in this world as a result of already being blessed by God, not as the blessing itself, if that makes any sense. A blessing is infusing something with divine holiness. To a Calvinist, being blessed is simply existing within God's creation, having been created in the image of God. A blessing is not the "something"/tangible object itself (money, etc). It's more of an act than an object. Calvinism is not to be used as an excuse for the very wealthy being greedy and saying "well I EARNED this so I shouldn't have to share." We recognize that it was the initial blessing from God that allowed us to be successful, and thus we are expected by God to use our success to help others. To not do so is greedy and selfish.

Ah, ok, now I got it.

Now that you are saying it, I think there was also something written like by generating your wealth you're also doing good for other people since by working for you they earn something themselves.

So this was basically from a text distributed during the time of the industrialisation, hence the referring to making money.

Is a bit like Adam Smith described the visible hand with the entrepreneur who simply followed the aim of making more money, and thereby doing the same as the worker, whose aim is to work (better) to making more money.
So both just follow their aims, and by doing that they are leading the economy towards a better future for everybody.

Didn't work out that well all the time, but at least he believed in it.

Re: Re: "Blessed"

Liesje said:

I defer to Jesus, and he said "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

Not a thing in that list about money;) So looks like the blessed being financial is something that people made up to make themselves feel better about their greed.

IMO, you can't feel truly blessed unless you have empathized with and put yourself in the place of others. People who are greedy and selfish can't say in truth that they are blessed because they haven't made any effort to see what life is like for those who have less wealth and opportunity.

I certainly have, and do, but I'm not blessed yet. At least not financially. Is your point, and those of some of the other posters, that blessings aren't supposed to be material or financial?

Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Butterscotch said:

Not a thing in that list about money;) So looks like the blessed being financial is something that people made up to make themselves feel better about their greed.

precisely!! you're blessed with the wisdom to see past that :up:

I certainly have, and do, but I'm not blessed yet. At least not financially. Is your point, and those of some of the other posters, that blessings aren't supposed to be material or financial?

:yes: at least, that is what i believe. i'm living below the poverty line, in terms of income. however, my life couldn't be more fruitful and rewarding. so, although i don't know too much about you, i wouldn't say that you aren't blessed yet. if you get this job, it could be seen as a blessing because it will help you through a dark and stressful situation, and not simply because it means more money.

Vincent Vega said:
I also don't belief in anyone living in poverty should do so because there is a higher power or anything that wants it to be so (which would be very cruel in my view).

It does seem rather cruel, doesn't it? And also, if it's "God's will" those people suffer in poverty, wouldn't she be interfering by helping them? She must have felt he did want them to be helped, so how can it be both ways?

I myself wouldn't like to have more many than I could ever spend in my life on several bank accounts, when at the same time millions of people are starving because they don't have a penny.

:up: That's what I feel too. Then people with a lot of money have to find reasons to cover themselves so they don't have to feel bad.

When I did my door knocking job for World Vision in Australia I once came to a house where you could see the owners aren't starving at all.
The son entered the door, probably my age, around 20, and he came with the same argument, that he doesn't belief everybody who is rich necessarily has to give to the poor and so on.

Another example of people trying to make themselves feel better for not helping. Amazing, isn't it, how they can do that? I coudn't.

A couple of minutes before a couple (both retired, she is deaf, he also has difficulties to hear properly and they aren't wealthy at all) were more than happy that I came and immediately decided to help one of the children.

Those who know how it feels care more but can do less.

I also discovered that some of the really rich people either were rude, or they were this kind of donators that like to give publicly so that there will be made a big sign for them in regards of their commitment.

Of course, that's not always the case, but I also didn't meet one rich person that was willing to even listen to me.

This speaks volumes. Your experience tells a lot about attitudes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

redhotswami said:

precisely!! you're blessed with the wisdom to see past that :up:

:yes: at least, that is what i believe. i'm living below the poverty line, in terms of income. however, my life couldn't be more fruitful and rewarding. so, although i don't know too much about you, i wouldn't say that you aren't blessed yet. if you get this job, it could be seen as a blessing because it will help you through a dark and stressful situation, and not simply because it means more money.

Thank you for your posts, they are just the type of light in the darkness I look for but can never find. You are truly 'blessed' you are able to be this way in the face of adversity, instead of hanging your head and moaning (like I've been doing). You have honestly helped me today :hug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Butterscotch said:

Thank you for your posts, they are just the type of light in the darkness I look for but can never find. You are truly 'blessed' you are able to be this way in the face of adversity, instead of hanging your head and moaning (like I've been doing). You have honestly helped me today :hug:

aww!!! stop making me cry!!!! :hug: I'm glad to have helped. and feel free to e-mail me anytime you want to chat. you are definitely making steps to help yourself as well. keep it up! im so proud of you.

I have long called myself "The Most Blessed Man In The World", because I have a God who loves me, family and friends who love me, health, and a rooth over my head. I am not materially wealthy.

While I do not believe that God promises his children material wealth, I do not think it is a bad thing to make a lot of money. God entrusts people with money so that they can use it for his purposes and help others. Having money is an opportunity - an opportunity to serve God.

Re: Re: "Blessed"

redkat said:

I don't usually hear it in that context. I'm not very religious. When I say it i'm not referring to wealth, which I don't have. I'm saying I'm grateful for what I do have. It's a reminder to myself that I should appreciate it and recognize others are less fortunate.

Yes, what she said. To me it's more like "I'm appreciative of the luck I have." :knocksonwood:

Interestingly, the times I've felt the most blessed were my darkest hours because for me it has been the painful experiences in life that have led to the greatest growth. I didn't feel at all "blessed" to be in the front row at a U2 show, for example. I made that happen. I don't feel "blessed" to have money in the bank; I made that happen, too. I don't feel "blessed" to have a great job--I worked my ass off to get it and keep it.

I did, however, feel incredibly blessed when my best friend died. The things that came from that experience changed me forever in a beautiful way. That's just one example.

80sU2isBest said:
I have long called myself "The Most Blessed Man In The World", because I have a God who loves me, family and friends who love me, health, and a rooth over my head. I am not materially wealthy.

While I do not believe that God promises his children material wealth, I do not think it is a bad thing to make a lot of money. God entrusts people with money so that they can use it for his purposes and help others. Having money is an opportunity - an opportunity to serve God.

First, I am happy for all the good things in your life.

I agree that they are the things that really matter.

But, I believe God has nothing to do with money, if people have it or not.

God's only connection to money
is that politicians have placed his name on it for their benefit.

Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Butterscotch said:

Sort of. My point was that in the Calvinist sense of the term, a "blessing" is not a thing. A blessing is the act of infusing something with holiness. Maybe you're familiar with the Benediction, given at many traditional worship services? The Reverend raises his arms (palms out or down only for the ordained, palms up otherwise) and blesses the people. He's not giving them money, or even asking that God bring them wealth, he's asking that as we were created in the image of God, may we seek to become more holy. I only speak for myself since I believe I am the only Calvinist here and one of few who belong to more traditional Christian denominations, I've never considered things like money, houses, cars, computers to be "blessings" in the Christian sense of the word. Because we have been blessed, we may have these things, but these things aren't the blessing itself. You can be blessed and also be a drug addict that spends all of your money on fixes and lives homeless on the street.

deep said:

But, I believe God has nothing to do with money, if people have it or not.

God's only connection to money
is that politicians have placed his name on it for their benefit.

It takes money for the homeless to find a home. It takes money for the poor to be fed.

Money is just a tool. In the hands of those who do evil, money is a tool used as a weapon. In the hands of those who do good, money is a tool used to help others.

Do you believe in God? If so, do you think he wants his people to help those who need help? If so, wouldn't he provide people with the tools necessary to do so?

Many people misquote the Bible verse. They say "money is the root of all evil", but that's not accurate. The verse is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil."

Butterscotch said:

It does seem rather cruel, doesn't it? And also, if it's "God's will" those people suffer in poverty, wouldn't she be interfering by helping them? She must have felt he did want them to be helped, so how can it be both ways?

She helped them in a different way.
She thought, whether you live in wealth or poverty is decided by God.
As a nun, she herself didn't belief in personal wealth as well, and thus lived in poverty.
She believed in helping people by giving them medical treatment, food and the love of God. For her money wasn't that important.

80sU2isBest said:

It takes money for the homeless to find a home. It takes money for the poor to be fed.

Money is just a tool. In the hands of those who do evil, money is a tool used as a weapon. In the hands of those who do good, money is a tool used to help others.

Do you believe in God? If so, do you think he wants his people to help those who need help? If so, wouldn't he provide people with the tools necessary to do so?

Many people misquote the Bible verse. They say "money is the root of all evil", but that's not accurate. The verse is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil."

Do you believe in God?

Not sure, I do like the concept.

The concept of God that makes sense to me is not a control freak.

I never said money was "evil".

I think evil and labling things evil is kind of silly.

Once you lable something evil
then you leave open the belief that some other things are "good'.

Things are just things.

Behavior and actions can be wrong or bad.

When I was very young I took a trip with my scout troop to Mexico.

I saw how some Mexican people lived in cardboard and plastic shacks with their children.

I realized then that I lived in a comfortable home, with a good standard of living, by chance.

I accepted that God did not love or bless me any more than the decent Mexicans in shacks, it was just chance.
My religious belifs at the time caused me to believe that it really did not matter how much comfort we had for a few decades on this physical earth.
That in the afterlife, how we spent the time on earth would scarcely even be remembered.

deep said:
I never said money was "evil".

I think evil and labling things evil is kind of silly.

Once you lable something evil
then you leave open the belief that some other things are "good'.

I didn't think you did. My correction of some people's Bible misquote was just support for my thoughts, because there are people who think that having money is evil in and of itself.

deep said:
The concept of God that makes sense to me is not a control freak.

When I was very young I took a trip with my scout troop to Mexico.

I saw how some Mexican people lived in cardboard and plastic shacks with their children.

I realized then that I lived in a comfortable home, with a good standard of living, by chance.

I accepted that God did not love or bless me any more than the decent Mexicans in shacks, it was just chance.
My religious belifs at the time caused me to believe that it really did not matter how much comfort we had for a few decades on this physical earth.
That in the afterlife, how we spent the time on earth would scarcely even be remembered.

My concept of God is not as a "control freak", either. I think that if he were a control freak, he would make sure that no one is born in poverty or without disabilities or hungry or anything like that.

However, God does bless people in many different ways, and if I get a good contract that pays well, I thank God, for I know he helped me...and in so doing, I think he expects me to use the money that comes from that contract to further the Gospel and to help others as much as possible physically and spiritually.

joyfulgirl said:
Interestingly, the times I've felt the most blessed were my darkest hours because for me it has been the painful experiences in life that have led to the greatest growth. I didn't feel at all "blessed" to be in the front row at a U2 show, for example. I made that happen. I don't feel "blessed" to have money in the bank; I made that happen, too. I don't feel "blessed" to have a great job--I worked my ass off to get it and keep it.

I did, however, feel incredibly blessed when my best friend died. The things that came from that experience changed me forever in a beautiful way. That's just one example.

couldn't agree more.

one makes accomplishments happen; one is blessed when kept safe from tragedy, and it often takes the witness of a tragedy to others to get us to see just how fortunate we are to have things as simple as health.

Back
Top Bottom