"Blessed" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

I defer to Jesus, and he said "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
Not a thing in that list about money So looks like the blessed being financial is something that people made up to make themselves feel better about their greed.

Quote:
IMO, you can't feel truly blessed unless you have empathized with and put yourself in the place of others. People who are greedy and selfish can't say in truth that they are blessed because they haven't made any effort to see what life is like for those who have less wealth and opportunity.
I certainly have, and do, but I'm not blessed yet. At least not financially. Is your point, and those of some of the other posters, that blessings aren't supposed to be material or financial?

Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

Not a thing in that list about money So looks like the blessed being financial is something that people made up to make themselves feel better about their greed.
precisely!! you're blessed with the wisdom to see past that

Quote:

I certainly have, and do, but I'm not blessed yet. At least not financially. Is your point, and those of some of the other posters, that blessings aren't supposed to be material or financial?
at least, that is what i believe. i'm living below the poverty line, in terms of income. however, my life couldn't be more fruitful and rewarding. so, although i don't know too much about you, i wouldn't say that you aren't blessed yet. if you get this job, it could be seen as a blessing because it will help you through a dark and stressful situation, and not simply because it means more money.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I also don't belief in anyone living in poverty should do so because there is a higher power or anything that wants it to be so (which would be very cruel in my view).
It does seem rather cruel, doesn't it? And also, if it's "God's will" those people suffer in poverty, wouldn't she be interfering by helping them? She must have felt he did want them to be helped, so how can it be both ways?

Quote:
I myself wouldn't like to have more many than I could ever spend in my life on several bank accounts, when at the same time millions of people are starving because they don't have a penny.
That's what I feel too. Then people with a lot of money have to find reasons to cover themselves so they don't have to feel bad.

Quote:
When I did my door knocking job for World Vision in Australia I once came to a house where you could see the owners aren't starving at all.
The son entered the door, probably my age, around 20, and he came with the same argument, that he doesn't belief everybody who is rich necessarily has to give to the poor and so on.
Another example of people trying to make themselves feel better for not helping. Amazing, isn't it, how they can do that? I coudn't.

Quote:
A couple of minutes before a couple (both retired, she is deaf, he also has difficulties to hear properly and they aren't wealthy at all) were more than happy that I came and immediately decided to help one of the children.
Those who know how it feels care more but can do less.

Quote:
I also discovered that some of the really rich people either were rude, or they were this kind of donators that like to give publicly so that there will be made a big sign for them in regards of their commitment.

Of course, that's not always the case, but I also didn't meet one rich person that was willing to even listen to me.
This speaks volumes. Your experience tells a lot about attitudes.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

precisely!! you're blessed with the wisdom to see past that

at least, that is what i believe. i'm living below the poverty line, in terms of income. however, my life couldn't be more fruitful and rewarding. so, although i don't know too much about you, i wouldn't say that you aren't blessed yet. if you get this job, it could be seen as a blessing because it will help you through a dark and stressful situation, and not simply because it means more money.
Thank you for your posts, they are just the type of light in the darkness I look for but can never find. You are truly 'blessed' you are able to be this way in the face of adversity, instead of hanging your head and moaning (like I've been doing). You have honestly helped me today
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:

Thank you for your posts, they are just the type of light in the darkness I look for but can never find. You are truly 'blessed' you are able to be this way in the face of adversity, instead of hanging your head and moaning (like I've been doing). You have honestly helped me today
aww!!! stop making me cry!!!! I'm glad to have helped. and feel free to e-mail me anytime you want to chat. you are definitely making steps to help yourself as well. keep it up! im so proud of you.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have long called myself "The Most Blessed Man In The World", because I have a God who loves me, family and friends who love me, health, and a rooth over my head. I am not materially wealthy.

While I do not believe that God promises his children material wealth, I do not think it is a bad thing to make a lot of money. God entrusts people with money so that they can use it for his purposes and help others. Having money is an opportunity - an opportunity to serve God.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #22
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I don't usually hear it in that context. I'm not very religious. When I say it i'm not referring to wealth, which I don't have. I'm saying I'm grateful for what I do have. It's a reminder to myself that I should appreciate it and recognize others are less fortunate.
Yes, what she said. To me it's more like "I'm appreciative of the luck I have." :knocksonwood:
Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Interestingly, the times I've felt the most blessed were my darkest hours because for me it has been the painful experiences in life that have led to the greatest growth. I didn't feel at all "blessed" to be in the front row at a U2 show, for example. I made that happen. I don't feel "blessed" to have money in the bank; I made that happen, too. I don't feel "blessed" to have a great job--I worked my ass off to get it and keep it.

I did, however, feel incredibly blessed when my best friend died. The things that came from that experience changed me forever in a beautiful way. That's just one example.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I have long called myself "The Most Blessed Man In The World", because I have a God who loves me, family and friends who love me, health, and a rooth over my head. I am not materially wealthy.

While I do not believe that God promises his children material wealth, I do not think it is a bad thing to make a lot of money. God entrusts people with money so that they can use it for his purposes and help others. Having money is an opportunity - an opportunity to serve God.

First, I am happy for all the good things in your life.

I agree that they are the things that really matter.

But, I believe God has nothing to do with money, if people have it or not.

God's only connection to money
is that politicians have placed his name on it for their benefit.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

Quote:

Sort of. My point was that in the Calvinist sense of the term, a "blessing" is not a thing. A blessing is the act of infusing something with holiness. Maybe you're familiar with the Benediction, given at many traditional worship services? The Reverend raises his arms (palms out or down only for the ordained, palms up otherwise) and blesses the people. He's not giving them money, or even asking that God bring them wealth, he's asking that as we were created in the image of God, may we seek to become more holy. I only speak for myself since I believe I am the only Calvinist here and one of few who belong to more traditional Christian denominations, I've never considered things like money, houses, cars, computers to be "blessings" in the Christian sense of the word. Because we have been blessed, we may have these things, but these things aren't the blessing itself. You can be blessed and also be a drug addict that spends all of your money on fixes and lives homeless on the street.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

But, I believe God has nothing to do with money, if people have it or not.

God's only connection to money
is that politicians have placed his name on it for their benefit.
It takes money for the homeless to find a home. It takes money for the poor to be fed.

Money is just a tool. In the hands of those who do evil, money is a tool used as a weapon. In the hands of those who do good, money is a tool used to help others.

Do you believe in God? If so, do you think he wants his people to help those who need help? If so, wouldn't he provide people with the tools necessary to do so?

Many people misquote the Bible verse. They say "money is the root of all evil", but that's not accurate. The verse is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil."
Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:

It does seem rather cruel, doesn't it? And also, if it's "God's will" those people suffer in poverty, wouldn't she be interfering by helping them? She must have felt he did want them to be helped, so how can it be both ways?

She helped them in a different way.
She thought, whether you live in wealth or poverty is decided by God.
As a nun, she herself didn't belief in personal wealth as well, and thus lived in poverty.
She believed in helping people by giving them medical treatment, food and the love of God. For her money wasn't that important.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

It takes money for the homeless to find a home. It takes money for the poor to be fed.

Money is just a tool. In the hands of those who do evil, money is a tool used as a weapon. In the hands of those who do good, money is a tool used to help others.

Do you believe in God? If so, do you think he wants his people to help those who need help? If so, wouldn't he provide people with the tools necessary to do so?

Many people misquote the Bible verse. They say "money is the root of all evil", but that's not accurate. The verse is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil."

Do you believe in God?

Not sure, I do like the concept.

The concept of God that makes sense to me is not a control freak.

I never said money was "evil".

I think evil and labling things evil is kind of silly.

Once you lable something evil
then you leave open the belief that some other things are "good'.

Things are just things.

Behavior and actions can be wrong or bad.

When I was very young I took a trip with my scout troop to Mexico.

I saw how some Mexican people lived in cardboard and plastic shacks with their children.

I realized then that I lived in a comfortable home, with a good standard of living, by chance.

I accepted that God did not love or bless me any more than the decent Mexicans in shacks, it was just chance.
My religious belifs at the time caused me to believe that it really did not matter how much comfort we had for a few decades on this physical earth.
That in the afterlife, how we spent the time on earth would scarcely even be remembered.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I never said money was "evil".

I think evil and labling things evil is kind of silly.

Once you lable something evil
then you leave open the belief that some other things are "good'.
I didn't think you did. My correction of some people's Bible misquote was just support for my thoughts, because there are people who think that having money is evil in and of itself.

Quote:
The concept of God that makes sense to me is not a control freak.

When I was very young I took a trip with my scout troop to Mexico.

I saw how some Mexican people lived in cardboard and plastic shacks with their children.

I realized then that I lived in a comfortable home, with a good standard of living, by chance.

I accepted that God did not love or bless me any more than the decent Mexicans in shacks, it was just chance.
My religious belifs at the time caused me to believe that it really did not matter how much comfort we had for a few decades on this physical earth.
That in the afterlife, how we spent the time on earth would scarcely even be remembered.
My concept of God is not as a "control freak", either. I think that if he were a control freak, he would make sure that no one is born in poverty or without disabilities or hungry or anything like that.

However, God does bless people in many different ways, and if I get a good contract that pays well, I thank God, for I know he helped me...and in so doing, I think he expects me to use the money that comes from that contract to further the Gospel and to help others as much as possible physically and spiritually.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Interestingly, the times I've felt the most blessed were my darkest hours because for me it has been the painful experiences in life that have led to the greatest growth. I didn't feel at all "blessed" to be in the front row at a U2 show, for example. I made that happen. I don't feel "blessed" to have money in the bank; I made that happen, too. I don't feel "blessed" to have a great job--I worked my ass off to get it and keep it.

I did, however, feel incredibly blessed when my best friend died. The things that came from that experience changed me forever in a beautiful way. That's just one example.

couldn't agree more.

one makes accomplishments happen; one is blessed when kept safe from tragedy, and it often takes the witness of a tragedy to others to get us to see just how fortunate we are to have things as simple as health.