Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm not too sure what to think about this. Initially, they stated the London Underground was disabled by a power surge, but that obviously couldn't account for the bus.
The news are reporting that there are no records of a power surge, so people are currently unsure.
Multiple explosions have occured, apparantly.

Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground

According to reports a bus has exploded in central London just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground."I saw lots of people running up a road and then saw the top of a bus destroyed," one eyewitness told Sky News.Sky News producer Bob Mills said he heard the loud explosion near Euston Station.

Scotland Yard could not confirm reports of an explosion on a bus in Russell Square. A spokeswoman said police were at the scene and attempting to determine what had happened.

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."

Last edited:
I'm hearing on BBC News 24 that there were explosions on three buses and in a litter bin

They've just had someone on the phone saying that the front of the BMA building is splattered with blood and at least one fatality! :(

Buses, trains ~ the timing (both G8 and Abu Hamza al Masri).

The question is scale, explosves can be a great way to disperce chemical and radioactive materials and that can start panic and cause expensive cleanups ~ you had the foiled ricin plot.

I am going to tune back into the beeb, may this not be a prelude for greater bloodshed.

and also in the aftermath of the Olympic announcement.
It would seem the intention of the explosions which have been covered thus far has been to scare, as opposed to endanger mass amounts of life, but there are believed to be some fatalities.
The problem is the sheer size of the London transport network. Where do you even begin with checking out the rest of the vehicles.

It seems impossible right now to find any solid news on this, and some sources are making it sound worse than others.

I guess more will become clear in the next hours. The priority is, of course, for emergency crews to do their thing. We can afford to wait to learn what's happened. I just hope one scenario in particular hasn't happened: one or two sources I've read have mentioned there may've been an underground train crash, and those things can be particularly horrific. When you consider what could happen in a smoky, fiery, and not very large tunnel filled with scared and injured people (not to mention the electrical cables supplying power to the trains) ... it's not worth thinking about.

There was definitely an Underground train collision. I've been listening to the eye witnesses who've been speaking on the phone on the news :(

enajh2 said:
There was definitely an Underground train collision. I've been listening to the eye witnesses who've been speaking on the phone on the news :(

Oh goodness, no.

I just hope the worst case scenarios forming in my mind are much worse than the reality.

Prayers and good wishes for all there. I hope everyone comes out alive.

Commons statement at 11.15, and Blair is staying at Gleneagles is current state of play as far as goverment is concerned

I'm just reading some eyewitness reports from the BBC's website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4659243.stm). This one in particular scares me:

"There was a loud bang in the tunnel and the train just stopped and all of a sudden it was filled with black, gassy smoke and we couldn't breathe and it was stinging our eyes and the lights went out and it just took a while for people to get to us and it was very scary."

It doesn't take much intelligence to realise that smoke and tunnels are not a good combination. The world's worst subway disaster was in Baku, Azerbaijan, and part of the death toll of 288 can be attributed to smoke - both poisonous gases in it and the chaotic situation it creates (i.e. people being trampled in the panic).

bammo2 said:
This is so not good.

:sad:

I've been trying to contact one of my best friends who gets a bus every morning to king's cross. So far I haven't got a reply.

:(

I'm sure she's fine, but I can't help but stress.

The mobile networks collapsed at some point they said so she may not be able to reply anyway

:hug:

Control of information would be at play, they have too avoid a panic, I wouldn't imagine too many specifics being announced until the situation is under control, again this would be more to do with chemical or non-fissile radioactive devices, but precautions are being taken.

There seems to be a deal of admiration at the response too it; hopefully the lessons of Madrid will save a few lives.

Speculation about motivation for such a terror attack ~ hardcore anarchist or islamist.

Back to television, although it is retreads.

I just hope that it doesn't get worse than it already is.

fuck fuck fuck.

what a day for london.

If the terrorists influence the G8 decisions in a negative way, I will go and hunt them down personally. Those fucking assholes! They make me so angry.

6 explosions.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner on BBC News 24 now

Requesting people...

1) stay where you are
2) do not make calls to emergency services

Tony Blair to make announcement at midday

Asking the media not to speculate! :rolleyes:

London_blasts.jpg

London_blasts2.jpg

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Control of information would be at play

When this all kicked up, and there was the incident in the underground, they attributed it to a power surge.
The union is now denying any power surge occured. They've been controlling information right from the word 'go'.

Bammo, i'm really pleased your friends are okay.

I just keep hoping for some spokesman to come out and say "well, you know, it's actually not as bad as we feared. Yeah, there were some small explosions and a couple of people are a bit bruised and we'll have to fix the place up a bit, but it's really not that serious."

It seems the direct opposite's happening, though. This is just so terrible.

:( :( :(

enajh2 said:
Axver, I've heard eyewitness accounts of bodies under sheets so our worst fears are already realised :sad:

That is not the post I wanted to read. :(

When will this stop getting worse? Goodness, hasn't the world had enough of horror and death and sorrow already?

Just reading about the buses (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=171552610&p=y7y5534z5&n=171553496):

Mrs Seabrook said the bus was travelling from Euston to Russell Square and had been “packed” with people turned away from Tube stops.

“It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air, I think it was the number 205,” she said.

“There must be a lot of people dead as all the buses were packed, they had been turning people away from the tube stops.

“We were about 20 metres away, that was all.”

:( I feel sick.

I'm not from London, but I feel the confusion and hurt.

Just after London is erupting the celebrations of the Olympics, this happens! FUCKING HELL! :mad:

If dearly hope this will not influence the G8 of the Olypics in any negative way. :sad: :mad:

This is tragic on two levels, one - the loss of life and two - this will indeed distract from the from the negotiations at the G8

Blowing up a bus packed with people going about their normal lives - fucking bullshit.......:mad:

I'm watching the swedish news, and they talked about what would happen in Gleneagles. They believed Blair would stay there to show that they will not bow to the terrorists (if this is an attack, and sadly it seems like it is) but that the agenda could be changed, to be more about terrorism.
Although it feels like a minor problem now when we hear about people severely injured and possibly dead, it would be sad if the G8 doesn't do the deal about ending poverty because of this. That would be another "victory" for terrorism if that was the case.

My heart goes out to all the people affected by this terrible thing.

:sad: I feel sick, sad and angry
I really hope this doesn't affect the G8 summit, Does anyone know how long now till Tony Blair has a press confrence?

:ohmy: :no: The BBC just showed pictures of someone being lowered out of an ambulance outside hospital while they were performing CPR on the person! In full view of the camera :(

I'm sure any relative or friend of the person would have been able to recognise them!!

Back
Top Bottom