Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #436
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by enajh2
I just found out this evening that my parents' next door neighbours sons school friend lost her Mum and Dad to one of the attacks She will be about 17 or 18 I guess
im sorry

Old 07-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You really would sing a different song if young teenage girls were the group we were "at war" with and you were searched all the time.

I'm really sorry I'm a teenage whitey...I've given you as many examples as I could of people close to me who have been searched. I'm more than willing to be searched before I board a plane.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #438
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I just found out this evening that my parents' next door neighbours sons school friend lost her Mum and Dad to one of the attacks She will be about 17 or 18 I guess
I am so, so sorry.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #439
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM
I don't know her personally, or even spoken to Lee, the son, next door in ten years or so, but it shows how small the world is!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #440
Blue Crack Addict

Small world indeed.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #441
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

That might make getting on an airplane easier for you actually.
Martha!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #442
New Yorker

Quote:
That's dreadful, I'm really sorry to hear that.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #443
She's the One

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I'm more than willing to be searched before I board a plane.
Go ahead and volunteer then.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
. My condolances to her...I'm so sorry to hear that. May her parents rest in peace.

God...that's just awful...
Old 07-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

I'm more than willing to be searched before I board a plane.
I think that when someone who appears to be a Muslim is searched at an airport, it's because security automatically fear that they could have intentions. When a caucasian person is searched, it's more than often to keep the balance of 'search/race of searched individual' figures proportional as to avoid risk of appearing racist (provided there haven't been objective reasons to search them - failing the security scanners, for example).
And it's not really planes we're talking about anymore either. Where do you draw the line with these searches? Clearly now, there is a risk that terrorists will strike again at other forms of transport - the tube stations, train, buses. So should increased searches be carried out on Muslims who board these forms of transport? Should searches be carried out on Muslims in the proximity of public transport?

Don't get me wrong - I know you're not saying that you think such searches should be carried out. I'm just trying to illustrate my point (and I suspect i'm doing it badly).

Because of the social group I had last year, I got searched alot when I was out at night. I got held at police stations a couple of times, purely for being in the company of people who were drunk/drugged up. It made no difference that I was competely sober - they didn't want to hear it. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating, humiliating and degrading it was.
The difference is that I was able to leave that social group behind - Muslims shouldn't have to feel concerned that what they believe, how they dress or the colour of their skin could lead to that sort of interrogation.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #446
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
I think that this mixing up of Muslim and Arab is wrong, Islam is not a race - it is a religion, if you racially profile then you may miss the caucasian zealot.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #447
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

We do and should, but consider that there were nineteen guys involved in the 9/11 attacks, all of Middle Eastern descent. Plus a bunch of other guys involved in the 1993 WTC bombing. Plus a bunch of other plane hijackings in recent history.

By that reasoning we should be searching all white catholics, because the vast majority of IRA members over the past seventy years have been white and supposedly catholic.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 AM   #448
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Mildred

Take the events of September 11th. Even if the hijackers had been searched by security is it without doubt that they would have been prevented from carrying the pocket knives with which they carried out the hijackings? After all, the strict regulations on carrying potential weapons on aeroplanes were only enforced in the aftermath of September 11th. Even with racial profiling is it certain that each and every one of the hijackers would have been searched?

Take the Madrid bombings. Individuals aren't routinely searched before boarding commuter trains so it's difficult to see how racial profiling could have prevented the bombers from carrying out their attacks.

How could racial profiling have prevented other recent terrorist attacks such as the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center, the bombings in Kenya, the attack on the USS Cole?
Bingo.

Anyone seen the the headlines today?

Quote:
London bombers 'were all British'

Detectives now believe the London bombings were carried out by four British-born men in what were possibly the country's first suicide attacks.

Security sources said it was likely at least three of the men, said to be of Pakistani descent, are dead, after belongings were found at the scenes.

The details emerged as explosives were found in Leeds and Luton after a series of raids. One man has been arrested.

The BBC's Frank Gardner said an expert may have offered the bombers guidance.

The security correspondent said the suspected bombers - one of whom is thought to have been as young as 19 - may have been helped by someone who would have left the country before the bombs went off.

Police revealed details of the breakthrough in their investigation into the attacks, which killed at least 52 people, on Tuesday.

It emerged that relatives of one of the men had reported him missing last Thursday morning.

On Monday night, police had viewed CCTV footage of four suspects together at London King's Cross last Thursday.

They all had rucksacks and were seen just 20 minutes before the three Tube bombs started going off at 0851 BST. A bus bomb went off in Tavistock Square at 0947 BST.

Three of the men had travelled to Luton from Leeds by train, before catching a Thameslink train to London. They had been joined at Luton by a fourth man who had driven to the Bedfordshire town.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676577.stm
So much for our friendly 'middle eastern looking, middle-aged' terrorists. These guys' families come from Pakistan originally, but they are British born and bred.

So, going by your policy, speedracer, on what grounds would these these 3 or 4 have been stoppped and searched?

Quote:
Take Thursday's events. People are not searched prior to boarding a tube train or a London bus and anyone who's travelled on London transport will tell you that it would be impossible to institute such a system. How then could racial profiling have prevented Thursday's atrocities?
Indeed!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Shame. Real shame.
They deserve some sort of punishment in this life too.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 AM   #450
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by beau2ifulday
Shame.
Those bastards deserve to face some sort of punishment in this life too.
BBC, again:

The police have revealed important developments in the hunt for those responsible for the London bomb attacks.

# All four suspects were British nationals of Pakistani descent. It has been confirmed that three of the four were from West Yorkshire

# The men have been named as: Hasib Hussain, 19, Shehzad Tanweer, 22, and Mohammed Sadique Khan, 30

# The fourth man has not yet been identified by police

# All four were captured on CCTV at King's Cross station, wearing rucksacks, shortly before 0830 BST on the morning of the attacks. The footage was found on Monday night

# One suspect was reported missing by his family. Some of his belongings were found on the bombed Number 30 bus in Tavistock Square

# Property linked to a second man was found at the scene of the Aldgate/Liverpool Street Tube bomb

# Items belonging to a third suspect were found at the site of the Aldgate/Liverpool Street and Edgware Road Tube bombs

# It is very likely the three men whose belongings were found at the bomb scenes are dead, police sources say

# One man has been arrested in West Yorkshire and is being questioned in London. He is believed to be related to one of the suspected bombers

# Police have searched the homes of three of the four suspects in West Yorkshire

# Six search warrants were executed in the Leeds area on Tuesday. A controlled explosion was carried out in the Burley area

# A "significant amount" of explosive material was found at an address in Leeds

# The men boarded a Thameslink train from Luton to King's Cross

# At King's Cross, they split up, three of them detonating their bombs on separate trains simultaneously at 0850 BST

# Two cars in Luton, one of which had explosives in it, are connected to the inquiry. Police spent 14 hours dealing with explosive devices found in one car at Luton Central railway station

# The other car was towed to nearby Leighton Buzzard

# Police sources have told the BBC they had not recovered any timing devices from the bomb scenes, possibly indicating that detonation was by hand

# Counter-terrorism officials believe the group of four would have had an outside "controlling hand" who could still be at large

# It is thought the cars were hired by the suspects in West Yorkshire before being driven to Luton

# More than 1,000 calls have been made by the public to an anti-terrorist hotline. Police have studied 2,500 CCTV tapes

Three of the men travelled down to Luton from West Yorkshire
There they met a fourth man who had driven to Luton
All four caught a Thameslink train to London King's Cross
Police found two suspect cars in Luton station carpark