Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #376
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:34 PM
hey, i don't usually go on this part of the forum... but i hope everyone that all of you know are ok... and we here in the US are pulling for you, and being from the new york area, i can empathsize with you completely. those of you in london will feel a little less safe, but in the end i have to say that september 11 brought us closer together here, and that in itself made me feel a whole lot better. hope that encourages you.

ps... i still plan on going to london in three weeks no matter what osama does.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #377
She's the One

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

I don't see anything wrong with searching Middle Eastern people before they get on airplanes.
That's becuase you're not one, and you don't look like one.

A colleague's son-in-law is Native American. To some he looks Middle Eastern. He's seen his share of searches conducted by people who don't mind giving up the rights of others.

Might as well stop everyone who's black and driving an expensive car because he might have stolen it.

Oh wait, we already do that.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #378
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Intelligent responses only, please:

At the airport, is it all right to randomly search, say, 1 out of every 10 Middle Eastern males but 1 out of every 20 white/black/Asian/Latino males?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #379
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Intelligent responses only, please:

At the airport, is it all right to randomly search, say, 1 out of every 10 Middle Eastern males but 1 out of every 20 white/black/Asian/Latino males?
Random searches...they're bullshit!!!

Hey look we found a terrorist by random search...

Use evidence!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Random searches...they're bullshit!!!

Hey look we found a terrorist by random search...

Use evidence!!!
You didn't answer the question.

I'm taking it for granted that we're already investigating anybody whose luggage sets off the alarms or who mutters loudly about blowing up planes, etc.

And you don't actually have to catch a terrorist by random search for it to be a success...if the process of random searches deters would-be terrorists from blowing up planes, it is a success (though this is obviously very difficult to determine).
Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #381
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

You didn't answer the question.

I'm taking it for granted that we're already investigating anybody whose luggage sets off the alarms or who mutters loudly about blowing up planes, etc.
Was there really a question?

Random searches don't work. What's the point?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Was there really a question?
Yes, there was. Is it okay to search one group of people with a higher frequency than another?

Quote:

Random searches don't work. What's the point?
To make sure people don't have dangerous objects on their bodies that the metal detectors don't pick up. It's not feasible to search every single person who wants to board a plane. Most experts estimate that airports have the time and resources search 1 out of every 10 or 20 people. I am posing a question on how exactly to pick this 1 out of 10 or 20 people.

I posed a serious, thoughtful question and expect a serious, thoughtful response.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #383
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Has anyone heard from UKTan?
Others may have also gotten a message from her, but still... I've heard from her and she's OK (apart from being shocked & saddened, etc.).
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #384
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:34 AM
what happened is completely bad, crazy, no words to describe it.

My thoughts and prayers are for all the injured and killed people of this absurd new attacks.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #385
The Fly

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Thursday Bloody Thursday

I must admit, seeing the band in Cardiff, I did feel that the CoeXisT message seemed out of place. The main issue appeared to be MAKE POVERTY HISTORY and the upcoming LIVE8.

Regardless of who coined the phrase, or who nicked it from whom, the band should keep it in the show.

With recent developments in London, it couldn't be more relevant.

The Head

(My thoughts are with all those affected by the sad events in London on Thursday, 7th July 2005)
Old 07-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #386
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

That's becuase you're not one, and you don't look like one.

A colleague's son-in-law is Native American. To some he looks Middle Eastern. He's seen his share of searches conducted by people who don't mind giving up the rights of others.

Might as well stop everyone who's black and driving an expensive car because he might have stolen it.

Oh wait, we already do that.

hey, the man *knew* he was black before he got into the car.

anyway, i have a best friend who is South Asian Indian, and after 9-11 a woman on the streets of New York started yelling at her for being a terrorist or some such nonsense. she replied saying that she was an American citizen, a Hindu, and was dating a Marine at the time.

it sucks.

but, in all honesty, i do think there needs to be some kind of profiling at airports. i was pulled aside and searched thoroughly once. and for good reason. even though my last name is as Swedish as it gets, i was flying from Connecticut to California on a one-way ticket (we drove back) and i was a male about 24 years of age. fine. they searched me, and i didn't have a bomb, and i was mildly inconvenienced, but whatever. the plane got there safely.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #387
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 AM
The first 9/11-motivated killing took place two days later in Arizona. It was of a Sikh from India. I saw Senator McCain on TV virtually in tears over the outrage. There's all sorts of xenophobia all over. My sister is married to a Mexican-American. I just hope he doesn't run into any . He won't in New York but I wonder what about less diverse parts of the country? What about my hard-working, nice, law-abiding Lebanese neighbors? I'm scared.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #388
Acrobat

wow... well random searches are not so random, that is true... but unfortuneately profiling based on race/ethnicity will be a fact of life until all of this comes to an end. it is not the arabs fault that 100 percent of the hijackers on 9/11 were of middle eastern descent. and in some of the lesser informed american public's mind, as wrong as it sounds, arabs=terrorists. that is not to justify it, but i don't mind being searched if it makes my flight safer. what is an extra hour of waiting in line to be searched if it keeps me safe and alive? i have also been pulled aside on a few occasions to be searched, and i am a blond haired blue eyed norwegian.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #389
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but, in all honesty, i do think there needs to be some kind of profiling at airports. i was pulled aside and searched thoroughly once. and for good reason. even though my last name is as Swedish as it gets, i was flying from Connecticut to California on a one-way ticket (we drove back) and i was a male about 24 years of age. fine. they searched me, and i didn't have a bomb, and i was mildly inconvenienced, but whatever. the plane got there safely.
It was the one-way ticket that "tagged" you.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #390
She's the One

Local Time: 05:34 PM
On a completely different note:

The amount of people who weren't killed says a lot about the skill of the medical personnel who were treating the injured. You just know the death count would have been higher without those selfless people who are doctors, EMTs and others working so hard to save the injured.

I thought they did an amazing job.