Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #346
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Local Time: 08:13 PM
My thoughts go out to all of those in London and their family and friends. I was there just 2 weeks ago so it hit me even harder. When someone came into work and told what happened everyone was shocked about what happened. It is so sad that these things even have to happen and that this kind of violence even exists in the world today.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I highly doubt a peaceful Middle Eastern person would be driven to mass murder because they got held up a few minutes too long in an airport...
I don't think they'll do that, no, but it doesn't exactly help matters, because there's Muslims who are upset at the fact that people are wary of all of them because of the actions of a few.

Angela

Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #348
The Fly

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Its a catch 22. Is it fair to be wary of all of them? No. Is it wrong of people to be wary? No. Any Muslem living in a free society should not complain when their bags are checked or profiled according to the law. I think they would be happy living free and have to go through some inconvieniences then have to live in the middle east. It is their own people that created this stereotype not the rest of the world. The day we have to even question a plainly clothed muslem in a public place is a very sad day. Unfortunately they created it not the rest of the world.

Rant over....
Old 07-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:13 PM
. I just think if we're gonna check Muslims, fine, but then we should check everyone else, too, because other groups of people have been just as guilty of this sort of thing (Timothy McVeigh, anyone?).

Also, while I understand the wariness thing, at the same time it also makes me sad that people wind up being suspicious of their neighbors because of what a few idiots do. Maybe I'm weird for trying to keep my trust in humanity as a whole or something, I dunno, but I still hold it. I don't want to give up on humanity yet.

Angela
Old 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #350
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkmoon04
Its a catch 22. Is it fair to be wary of all of them? No. Is it wrong of people to be wary? No. Any Muslem living in a free society should not complain when their bags are checked or profiled according to the law. I think they would be happy living free and have to go through some inconvieniences then have to live in the middle east. It is their own people that created this stereotype not the rest of the world. The day we have to even question a plainly clothed muslem in a public place is a very sad day. Unfortunately they created it not the rest of the world.

Rant over....
If Muslims are checked because they're Muslims...then it is NOT a free society.
The rest of the world DID create this stereotype. The terrorists did not come out and say "All Muslims are terrorists." It's us who came out and said "All Muslims are suspect as Terrorists." Are all Irish in the IRA? Are all poor people trash? Are all blondes stupid? A group of people should not have to pay and pay and pay for what one (or a dozen) people who "looked" like them have done. Are all white guys paying for Timothy McVeigh?
The guys with bombs created the problems. Place the blame where it rests.

There...my rant is now over...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by enggirl

The rest of the world DID create this stereotype. The terrorists did not come out and say "All Muslims are terrorists." It's us who came out and said "All Muslims are suspect as Terrorists." Are all Irish in the IRA? Are all poor people trash? Are all blondes stupid? A group of people should not have to pay and pay and pay for what one (or a dozen) people who "looked" like them have done. Are all white guys paying for Timothy McVeigh?

Thanks, well said.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #352
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:

That is the most sensible comment I have seen/heard in a long time.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

If you saw what I just posted and deleted, ignore it. I'll simply say that somebody needs a lesson in conditional probability.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just received an e-mail from a friend who lives in London... she's alright. Whew.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #355
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ive been searched a few times It wasnt that terrible
They took my shoes and swiped the metal detector thingy over me, asked me a couple questions and let me go
If it were 19 year old white females that we're the "high risk" group then I would feel safer knowing that they were getting checked out
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't like to use the Internet much at work for non-work stuff because the boss can spy on what we are doing, but I've been thinking of all the UK/London Interferencers all day. So now that's I'm finally home -
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

I certainly do not think all Muslims are terrorists, however there is a faction of fundamentalist Islamic terrorists who are proving to be the largest threat to our country right now. The terrorists behind the 9/11, Madrid, and London bombings as well as the repeated targetting of peaceful Muslims in Iraq all have one thing in common- they're radical Islamists. I don't think it's unfair that our security is especially careful when it comes to Middle Eastern passengers on flying tanks of combustable fuel.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. I have a Muslim friend who says her dad was searched briefly last time they were at the airport. According to her, it was a minor inconvenience and made them slightly uncomfortable, but he understood the intent and had no problems cooperating.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Difficult to think of anything to say at this time. Be safe, comfort each other, stand with each other and catch the bastards who did this. We support you now as you supported us then.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #359
Refugee

Her dad might not have any problem being searched, but he MIGHT have a problem being rounded up on a street where he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and thrown into Gitmo or disappear into an overseas torture camp without acess to a lawyer. There's reasoned response (airport security), and there's unjustified xenophobic hysteria (the Patriot Act, or large parts of it.)

I just hope that many Brits relaize that this attack on them probably wouldn't have come if their troops weren't still in Iraq. This could go either way. Blair will call the Spanish cowards for pulling out (he doesn't want to take the political blame for this any more than that gov't did) and try to stay the course, but I wonder what British public opinion will be now? Having resolve is one thing....suffering for a war you didn't start is another.

I'm responding to other's startements on here, but this is the only political statment I'll make for now. This is a national tragedy for the Brits, this dwarfs anything they've ever had to deal with, even as used to terrorist threats. The biggest attack the IRA made on Britian was killing a diplomat in an isolated attack. The Island itself isn't on a Northerm Ireland mentality--ir shouyld I say, a Bad Old Days NI mentality.

My thoughtsand prayers go out to the dead and missing, and may God (who is not a Republican, Democrat, or anything else) be with us all.

Has Bono made any statement about this yet? Will they cancel or delay the G-8 summit? I guess a certain Spoiled Rotten Billionaire Bastard (who doesn't give adamn aobut the poor Muslims he says eh cares aobut) can't stand the fact that London got the Games. Screw him.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

we really dont need angry speech going on right now
just a thought

*edited*