Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teta040 said:
Her dad might not have any problem being searched, but he MIGHT have a problem being rounded up on a street where he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and thrown into Gitmo or disappear into an overseas torture camp without acess to a lawyer. There's reasoned response (airport security), and there's unjustified xenophobic hysteria (the Patriot Act, or large parts of it.)

we're talking about airport security. I believe Gitmo needs to be investigated as much as anyone else, I don't see where I indicated otherwise. I also dislike the Patriot Act, and I don't see where I said I agreed with it. so I guess we're in agreement there.

Has Bono made any statement about this yet? Will they cancel or delay the G-8 summit?

I don't see what Bono has to do with this, and personally I think it'd be in poor taste for him to come out and make a public statement on it. He's not exactly a world leader or anything...

They won't cancel the G8 (although it may help them get away with a lousy aid package to Africa)

I guess a certain Spoiled Rotten Billionaire Bastard (who doesn't give adamn aobut the poor Muslims he says eh cares aobut) can't stand the fact that London got the Games. Screw him.

what? are you suggesting Bush bombed London because he was jealous that London got the games?

Oops. The Bastard in question was Bin Laden. Thought I;d clear this up.!!!

And Bono has nothing to do with this. I wasn't suggesting that. I am just interested as he is in Scotland at the moment.

Teta040 said:
Oops. The Bastard in question was Bin Laden. Thought I;d clear this up.!!!

And Bono has nothing to do with this. I wasn't suggesting that. I am just interested as he is in Scotland at the moment.

First up - I though the bastard we were talking about was Chirac :reject:

I might be misunderstanding the context in which you're using Bin Laden's name (and if I am, please correct me), but he hasn't claimed responsibility for it, not have his branch of Al Qaeda.
An unknown group are the ones who are bragging about today's explosions. Even that is unconfirmed yet though.

fuck. . i heard about the news this morning but i didn't realize it. . .

i have a friend who's on vacation in London. . .

fuck. . . i hope she's ok

beau2ifulday said:

I might be misunderstanding the context in which you're using Bin Laden's name (and if I am, please correct me), but he hasn't claimed responsibility for it, not have his branch of Al Qaeda.
An unknown group are the ones who are bragging about today's explosions. Even that is unconfirmed yet though.

While we don't have confirmation regarding the perpetrators of today's events, I believe we do have- yes, I'm just getting this in- we've officially confirmed Bin Laden is a real bastard.

:reject:

discothequeLP said:

:( :hug:. May you hear from your friend soon.

Watched a bit of the coverage of this on CNN earlier this evening...totally surreal. And heartbreaking.

This has been a pretty depressing week news-wise as it was, actually, and now this on top of everything else...yeesh.

Angela

discothequeLP said:

I hope so too...I know there's a hotline you can call as far as Americans in London. I'm pretty sure there have been no American deaths (I think we'd have heard about it on the news), but not sure about the hundreds of injured.

im sure she's fine, hope so :hug:

I have no idea whether or not you're being sarcastic towards what I said. I'm too tired to notice or care but the words Bin Laden and Bastard together in the same sentence sounds right to me. I wasn't disputing that in the first place :shrug:

Discotheque, I hope you hear from your friend soon. I'll be hoping that she's safe tonight :hug:

Last edited:
Originally posted by bcrt2000
just one thing i've got to say as a muslim in the west, anyone who puts Islam infront of these fucking attacks pisses me off because whoever did these fucking coward attacks are not MUSLIMS! not in my heart or the heart of the rest of the muslim community at large!!

fuck the subway bombers

we don't need no fucking violence

"How long... how long must we sing this song..."

Too true. I can't believe that any reasonable human being could be moronic enough to attack innocent and peaceful people. There will, unfortunately, always be dogshit scum around, who will use this as an excuse to indulge in some mindless violence. THANK GOD/ALLAH/BUDDHA/JEHOVAH/ISIS/WHOEVER THAT THESE IMBECILES ARE in the minority. I's like to think the rest if us have a lot more common sense, tolerance, and intelligence.

Last edited:
hey, i don't usually go on this part of the forum... but i hope everyone that all of you know are ok... and we here in the US are pulling for you, and being from the new york area, i can empathsize with you completely. those of you in london will feel a little less safe, but in the end i have to say that september 11 brought us closer together here, and that in itself made me feel a whole lot better. hope that encourages you.

ps... i still plan on going to london in three weeks no matter what osama does.

VertigoGal said:

I don't see anything wrong with searching Middle Eastern people before they get on airplanes. :shrug:

That's becuase you're not one, and you don't look like one.

A colleague's son-in-law is Native American. To some he looks Middle Eastern. He's seen his share of searches conducted by people who don't mind giving up the rights of others.

Might as well stop everyone who's black and driving an expensive car because he might have stolen it.

Oh wait, we already do that. :|

Intelligent responses only, please:

At the airport, is it all right to randomly search, say, 1 out of every 10 Middle Eastern males but 1 out of every 20 white/black/Asian/Latino males?

speedracer said:
Intelligent responses only, please:

At the airport, is it all right to randomly search, say, 1 out of every 10 Middle Eastern males but 1 out of every 20 white/black/Asian/Latino males?

Random searches...they're bullshit!!!

Hey look we found a terrorist by random search...:|

Use evidence!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Random searches...they're bullshit!!!

Hey look we found a terrorist by random search...:|

Use evidence!!!

You didn't answer the question.

I'm taking it for granted that we're already investigating anybody whose luggage sets off the alarms or who mutters loudly about blowing up planes, etc.

And you don't actually have to catch a terrorist by random search for it to be a success...if the process of random searches deters would-be terrorists from blowing up planes, it is a success (though this is obviously very difficult to determine).

Last edited:
speedracer said:

You didn't answer the question.

I'm taking it for granted that we're already investigating anybody whose luggage sets off the alarms or who mutters loudly about blowing up planes, etc.

Was there really a question?

Random searches don't work. What's the point?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Was there really a question?

Yes, there was. Is it okay to search one group of people with a higher frequency than another?

Random searches don't work. What's the point?

To make sure people don't have dangerous objects on their bodies that the metal detectors don't pick up. It's not feasible to search every single person who wants to board a plane. Most experts estimate that airports have the time and resources search 1 out of every 10 or 20 people. I am posing a question on how exactly to pick this 1 out of 10 or 20 people.

I posed a serious, thoughtful question and expect a serious, thoughtful response.

corianderstem said:
Has anyone heard from UKTan?

Others may have also gotten a message from her, but still... I've heard from her and she's OK (apart from being shocked & saddened, etc.).

what happened is completely bad, crazy, no words to describe it.

My thoughts and prayers are for all the injured and killed people of this absurd new attacks.

Thursday Bloody Thursday

I must admit, seeing the band in Cardiff, I did feel that the CoeXisT message seemed out of place. The main issue appeared to be MAKE POVERTY HISTORY and the upcoming LIVE8.

Regardless of who coined the phrase, or who nicked it from whom, the band should keep it in the show.

With recent developments in London, it couldn't be more relevant.

The Head

(My thoughts are with all those affected by the sad events in London on Thursday, 7th July 2005)

martha said:

That's becuase you're not one, and you don't look like one.

A colleague's son-in-law is Native American. To some he looks Middle Eastern. He's seen his share of searches conducted by people who don't mind giving up the rights of others.

Might as well stop everyone who's black and driving an expensive car because he might have stolen it.

Oh wait, we already do that. :|

hey, the man *knew* he was black before he got into the car.

;)

anyway, i have a best friend who is South Asian Indian, and after 9-11 a woman on the streets of New York started yelling at her for being a terrorist or some such nonsense. she replied saying that she was an American citizen, a Hindu, and was dating a Marine at the time.

it sucks.

but, in all honesty, i do think there needs to be some kind of profiling at airports. i was pulled aside and searched thoroughly once. and for good reason. even though my last name is as Swedish as it gets, i was flying from Connecticut to California on a one-way ticket (we drove back) and i was a male about 24 years of age. fine. they searched me, and i didn't have a bomb, and i was mildly inconvenienced, but whatever. the plane got there safely.

The first 9/11-motivated killing took place two days later in Arizona. It was of a Sikh from India. I saw Senator McCain on TV virtually in tears over the outrage. There's all sorts of xenophobia all over. My sister is married to a Mexican-American. I just hope he doesn't run into any :censored:. He won't in New York but I wonder what about less diverse parts of the country? What about my hard-working, nice, law-abiding Lebanese neighbors? I'm scared.

wow... well random searches are not so random, that is true... but unfortuneately profiling based on race/ethnicity will be a fact of life until all of this comes to an end. it is not the arabs fault that 100 percent of the hijackers on 9/11 were of middle eastern descent. and in some of the lesser informed american public's mind, as wrong as it sounds, arabs=terrorists. that is not to justify it, but i don't mind being searched if it makes my flight safer. what is an extra hour of waiting in line to be searched if it keeps me safe and alive? i have also been pulled aside on a few occasions to be searched, and i am a blond haired blue eyed norwegian.

Irvine511 said:

but, in all honesty, i do think there needs to be some kind of profiling at airports. i was pulled aside and searched thoroughly once. and for good reason. even though my last name is as Swedish as it gets, i was flying from Connecticut to California on a one-way ticket (we drove back) and i was a male about 24 years of age. fine. they searched me, and i didn't have a bomb, and i was mildly inconvenienced, but whatever. the plane got there safely.

It was the one-way ticket that "tagged" you.

On a completely different note:

The amount of people who weren't killed says a lot about the skill of the medical personnel who were treating the injured. You just know the death count would have been higher without those selfless people who are doctors, EMTs and others working so hard to save the injured.

I thought they did an amazing job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom