Blasphemy... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Blasphemy...

Hi everyone,

I do not often post on Interference but regularly visit this thread, as I find it interesting. I am questioning my faith at the moment (as in "getting back into believing"), and the topics here help.

Today I was reproached by a colleague that I used the expression "Oh my God" and that it offended her, that it was blasphemy and that she would appreciate it if I could refrain from using it in front of her. I do really like this girl, and respect her views and faith, I told her so and told her I would make a conscious effort of not using this expression in front of her.

I don't know how to express how I feel, I guess I that I never (perhaps naively) thought I was blaspheming, I was not accusing God of bad things or calling him a bad name, it is an expression that was used in my familly all the time (I was raised a Catholic) of either astonishment or despair, really. I guess I never thought of it as an "bad word". Is this blasphemy? Am I therefore a sinner? I feel bad now, because it was never my aim to belittle God's name... Is she showing me true Christian values? What do you people think? Am I a bad person for using this expression?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Many may consider this a violation of the 4th Commandment, which reads as follows:

"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7 NRSV

I doubt you were trying to offend God or misuse His name, but modern colloquialisms certainly have reduced the Lord's name to meaningless interjections. Falling into the world’s patterns can mean falling away from what honors God.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 PM
It's not blasphemy, at least not the way I undersand it (saying God said something he didn't; twisting God's words; omitting what God did say), it falls under "taking the Lord's name in vain" and I guess you're not suppose to say it unless you really are calling upon the Lord at that moment. For example, when the second World Trade Center tower fell, I was in a classroom watching silently and someone whispered "oh.my.god." I think it was appropriate at that moment. If your friends gets cute shoes, responding with "oh my god! hehe" would be taking His name in vain because you're not intending to call on the Lord over some shoes. Make sense?

I hope that was not preachy! It's just the way I understand it to be. You're NOT a bad person simply for using that expression! Nobody's perfect and I certainly wouldn't judge someone based on their choice of phrases if there is no malicious intent. Personally, I try hard not to say things like that because I find it inappropriate (possibly offensive to God) and useless as far as the actual words go (like why not say "WOW" or "Hey, cute shoes!" because those things make sense). If you want true Christian values, don't worry about what your friend thinks, look to how Christ acted.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I would agree with the two posts above.

I would say it's best not to use the phrase, however, it ultimately depends on your heart too.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

I say it all the time. It's not blasphemy.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 05:28 PM
Next time say: "what the fu...."
Old 08-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I don't say it, I say "your god" instead and it is blasphemy and it is one of the most wonderful things in the free world.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Stand Up for Free Speech - Support Danish Cartoonists
are you standing up for the Iranian Holocaust cartoons?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes I stand up for the right to publish such things as well as Nazi hate speech and Muslim Clerics declaring Jews to be the decendents of pigs and apes, tolerance is not about respect and I am consistent that rights are bestowed equally. Now as far as publicing that speech and calling it for what it is I am 100% supportive of that. In the case of the Mohammed Cartoons it was the right of unbelievers to have the right to publish images that Muslims consider blasphemous. In the case of David Irving it was not punishing a discredited anti-semite for his vile speech when it merely emboldens his supporters and forfeits the concept of free speech.

It might also be worth noting that the Iranian cartoons were run as a competition by the state newspaper which makes a comparison to those of the Jyllands Posten rather unequal. It is also worth noting that the Holocaust cartoons were reactive and were not met with a campaign of orhcestrated violence and death threats. The situation is effectively the same as the Satanic Versus Affair.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Refugee

somebody got offended by "oh my god"?!

i wonder how they'd feel if someone said "GODDAMMIT!!!" or "jesus christ!" or "for chrissake!"?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Bugger Jesus with a Pitchfork is a good one

And my toungue was firmly in my cheek, unless anybody makes that speech illegal when I mean it absolutely in principle.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

you can do better

i. e., your description of your jesus cartoon
Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy
somebody got offended by "oh my god"?!

i wonder how they'd feel if someone said "GODDAMMIT!!!" or "jesus christ!" or "for chrissake!"?

Is there a consistent concern about offending people with speech?

Jump between threads and I'd say the answer is "no".
Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
I don't get it, but I respect those that don't want me to say this around them...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I don't get it, but I respect those that don't want me to say this around them...
Thank you for that. As someone who doesn't like to hear God's name in vain, I definitely respect and appreciate your thoughfulness in the matter.