Blasphemy... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I can understand your co-worker being offended by your using it since her interpretation of taking the Lord's name in vain differs from yours, but I think she was out of line for saying you committed blasphemy. Telling your co-workers they are sinners doesn't strike me as appropriate workplace behavior.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Thank you for that. As someone who doesn't like to hear God's name in vain, I definitely respect and appreciate your thoughfulness in the matter.
And honestly when I say I don't understand, the truth is I DO understand being offended by g*d*mn. It's just other uses, I have an aunt who's very strict about this, even when it's a heartfelt "oh my God" as a reaction to bad news. She feels it only belongs in prayer and that's it.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:19 AM
Its funny because I say 'oh my god' or really 'oh maaaah gaaaaaaawd' all the time, but it really is just an expression to me. But I can definately understand how it can be seen as blasphemous by religious people. It doesn't make me stop doing it, but if I was in the company of a person and they said it made them uncomfortable, I would stop doing it. But i just think its funny that I say it without even thinking about it! haha
Old 08-16-2006, 04:03 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Thank you all for your views. I can definitely say that there was nothing malicious about using this expression. I can understand that to certain people, it should be used very scarcely. It was the blasphemy bit that upset me, because in no way was it what's in my heart. Shouldn't God know that? It was like she was pointing the finger... I will try from now on, not to say it in front of her.

It is a shame because we had various discussions about faith in the past, but now I nearly feel I'm not worthy of talking about it no more because I offended her and God?
Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #20
Jesus Online

anyone watch futurama? bender and his "Oh. Your. God."

anyway. we had a teacher in highschool who was insane about it. i mean it. she was nuts. couldn't just say calmly, "guys, i and many people in life will be deeply offended by that. please be adult enough to refrain." noooo. she had to go mental at every opportunity. i often wondered how she married up being a science teacher and a hardcore radical aggro christian, but whatever. which reminds me now of that episode of frasier with the speed dating.

ah, i have nothing to add to this thread beyond the wingnut science teacher and tv shows. sorry if i ever offend anyone with this, though. i say it occasionally with zero thought beforehand.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:42 AM   #21
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Just curious, but was this co-worker a mormon--or as they prefer to be called, a latter day saint?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR
Just curious, but was this co-worker a mormon--or as they prefer to be called, a latter day saint?
Hi, no, she calls herself a Christian and I know she goes to Hillsong assemblies and conferences, and Ellel ministeries.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
Jesus Online

She calls herself a Christian, yes, but goes to Hillsong. Are you familiar with the cult-like evil of Hillsong? They're not Christian. They can call themselves whatever they want, but they're an insult to decent people of those faiths who make up the Christian demographic.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 AM   #24
The Fly

Actually I am not really familiar with Hillsong. I mean, she mentionned it a few times and even invited me to come along to a service once. I refused politely. She "got into it" last year, by befriending a couple of people at work who are Hillsong church-goers. I did have a sneaky look at their website but that's about it. What can you tell me about it?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #25
Refugee

"god" is a concept, not a name. there are many gods in many religions so the actual word GOD is not blasphemy.

However, in Judaism (for example) the word GOD refers to the one and only god that the jews believe in (known in the bible as YHWA or Jehovah). In that case, it is forbidden to utter the name of this god or to spell the name completely. This is why you see me write the word god as G-d - this is because I'm referring to the "jewish" god.

I hope that made sense.

In any case, I believe it is not blasphemous to say "oh my god".
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 AM
But do you think that people who don't follow your faith are obliged to abide by the same tenents? Because it seems thats where the issue lies, not at people being offended at blasphemy but the idea that simply because it is offensive it has to be stopped.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono
However, in Judaism (for example) the word GOD refers to the one and only god that the jews believe in (known in the bible as YHWA or Jehovah). In that case, it is forbidden to utter the name of this god or to spell the name completely. This is why you see me write the word god as G-d - this is because I'm referring to the "jewish" god.
As an aside, was it originally intended to cover all names of God, or just God's actual name, as expressed in the Tetragrammaton, "YHWH"? I think the name, "Adonai," was adopted to refer to God, but that since it was never intended to be His actual name, it could be uttered. So if my understanding is correct, I don't see why "G-d" is necessary, since that's not His real name.

I'd be interested in your opinion on what I've written. Thanks!

Melon
Old 08-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by onegirl
It was the blasphemy bit that upset me, because in no way was it what's in my heart. Shouldn't God know that? It was like she was pointing the finger... I will try from now on, not to say it in front of her.
In my opinion what's in your heart and soul is far more important-the most Christian people can sometimes have the worst things come out of their mouths, and the Christians who are most careful in their speech can sometimes have less than the greatest thoughts in their minds, less than the greatest behavior and attitudes, etc. The Christians who are not as careful in their speech can sometimes be the best kinds of Christians in all other aspects. I can definitely understand you not wanting to insult your friend, but seems to me you had no intent to do so and no malicious intent whatsoever. I'm sure your friend can see what is important and good about you far beyond you uttering "oh my God"- if she can't well no offense, but I just think that's sad and unfair.

My mother is an old school Catholic, Catholic school and all. You would not believe some of what comes out of her mouth, but I've never considered her a blasphemer. I use the same sort of expressions sometimes, I do realize I should do my best not to but I slip up often. My Pastor once uttered "oh shit" before Mass once when he was setting up, in was in the basement we use in the summer and several people heard him. I thought it was funny and just made him more human. Of course that's not taking the name of God in vain and all that. I respect the right of people to be offended by it, but in the grand scheme of things for me there are so many things that are more important in anyone's conduct as a Christian.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
But do you think that people who don't follow your faith are obliged to abide by the same tenents? Because it seems thats where the issue lies, not at people being offended at blasphemy but the idea that simply because it is offensive it has to be stopped.
No, I don't think they're obliged to abide by the laws of my religion if they don't follow it. I would, however, hope that they would have enough good judgement to respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

For instance, although I don't believe in Jesus Christ as the son of god, I won't swear: "Jesus Christ!!" in the presence of someone I know is catholic and a believer. For that matter, if I have occassion to visit a church or Christian holy site, I will respect the sanctity of the site in deference to the other believers.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Couldn't agree more with Mrs. Springsteen's post.