Blame the Locals!!! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Well, if you scream knowing only one fact, you will often look foolish.

NBC: what most of us are reacting to here is that our government, at the local, state, and especially the federal level, failed to perform it's most basic function -- to protect it's people.

this was compounded by the series of statement made by members of the federal government that revealed a huge gap between what they claimed they knew versus what everyone in the media and everyone with a television set, newspaper, radio, and/or modem knew.

finally, many of us see this as just another example of the incompetence of the Bush administration. this started with 9-11 (an intelligence failure), continued with the post-war in Iraq (a DOD failure), and has now culminated in what might be 10,000 drowned Americans.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:

Surely you can't be so dense as to think that her evening out slowed down delivery of foreign aid.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/kat...aid/index.html

Quote:
As of Friday, the White House had not accepted any offers, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the State Department was "working very closely with the Department of Homeland Security to match up what is available with what is needed."
What day did she go shoe shopping?

Quote:
Dr. Rice's role in government is essentially unrelated to the relief efforts.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Your one-liners are tiresome...
As is your childish rhetoric...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think you have it reversed.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Well, if you scream knowing only one fact, you will often look foolish.
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Your one-liners are tiresome...
Quote:
Everyone, there's no need to resort to calling one another foolish or childish. If you don't like a particular poster's way of discussing a subject then you're welcome to avoid debating with them, you don't need to insult them in the process.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
NBC: what most of us are reacting to here is that our government, at the local, state, and especially the federal level, failed to perform it's most basic function -- to protect it's people.

this was compounded by the series of statement made by members of the federal government that revealed a huge gap between what they claimed they knew versus what everyone in the media and everyone with a television set, newspaper, radio, and/or modem knew.

finally, many of us see this as just another example of the incompetence of the Bush administration. this started with 9-11 (an intelligence failure), continued with the post-war in Iraq (a DOD failure), and has now culminated in what might be 10,000 drowned Americans.

I understand and share the anger and frustration at seeing other people suffer, and the seemingly inability to take away that suffering.

As with any disaster, there will be discrepancies, miscues and mistakes. Learn your lessons and improve.

But you have to admit that this is getting over politicized, to a level that will not benefit those in need.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

The Bush administration is responsible for 9/11, the first World Trade Center bombing, the bombing of the Cole, Iraq and Al-Qaida and London.

The Bush administration was also responsible for all the years that preceeded this hurricane and the lack of a planning that went into preparing for this horrific event. It is responsible for the hundreds of school buses that went unused in the evacuation.

I can see how FEMA failed. I can see how the mayor failed. I can see how Bush failed. But if I am realistically weighing the failures here....the exit strategy....the exit plan is responsible for the vast majority of the deaths here.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
But you have to admit that this is getting over politicized, to a level that will not benefit those in need.
As long as those responsible are doing what they need to do to help those in need, and not taking the time to respond to the blame or point fingers of their own in blame, then as far as I'm concerned, the rest of us can shout to the heavens and point fingers all we want.

(Does that make sense? Man, I hope that came through like I meant it to.)
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #84
War Child

Quote:

Of course it is, because now Rove is now in full-on damage control mode. Its sickening when the administration (who has now been caught in at least a dozen bald-faced lies that I can personally count since the disaster unfolded) is concentrating more on PR than focusing on disaster relief. The ones who are politising this more than any right now are Bush's administration. If this isn't transparent, I don't know what else is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041100879.html

Make no mistake- Bush and his administration do not bear the full responsibility of the aftermath of this disaster. It was a collosal failure of local, state, and federal government. Democrat and Republican, we need truth and accountability.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041100879.html
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Westport

I can see how FEMA failed. I can see how the mayor failed. I can see how Bush failed. But if I am realistically weighing the failures here....the exit strategy....the exit plan is responsible for the vast majority of the deaths here.
I agree the exit plan was a major failure, but I consider the reaction after the disaster hit a far heavier blunder. More could have been done to prevent this from happening, but once it did occur, and people's lives were at terrible risk, not nearly enough action was taken.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #86
War Child

Quote:

Surely you can't be so dense as to think that her evening out slowed down delivery of foreign aid.
It is simply fact that both before, during, and after her little Manhattan vacation, which was more than an evening, mind you- that foreign governments and agencies were desperately trying to contact the State Department to get authorization to send aid.

Really, how much clearer can it get? Would *you* go on vacation after Katrina hit if you held her position? Don't you feel that there would be some sense of responsibility? And, if a "night-out" didn't hurt, then surely her little vacation was deserved because post-katrina was just running so efficiently that there was no more work to do...

Yes, and this goes for every other one of the people on vacation in the Bush administration.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx

Its sickening when the administration (who has now been caught in at least a dozen bald-faced lies that I can personally count since the disaster unfolded) [/URL]
What's your favorite lie?

Right now, I'm going with "No one could have predicted that the levees would break." That's a good one.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #88
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Right now, I'm going with "No one could have predicted that the levees would break." That's a good one.
yes- that one is sad indeed, but the latest is pretty good, too:

apparently, Jt Chiefs Chairman General Myers said earlier today that the newspapers said everything was OK on Tuesday- a claim made by Chertoff earlier that has been thoroughly debunked- and that he had no idea things were so bad.

I really don't know what's scarier- that our top general is a bald-faced liar, or that everyone in our government, including our military, seems to get their intel from "newspapers".

I'm truly scared for our country right now.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Old 09-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Westport

The Bush administration is responsible for 9/11, the first World Trade Center bombing, the bombing of the Cole, Iraq and Al-Qaida and London.

The Bush administration was also responsible for all the years that preceeded this hurricane and the lack of a planning that went into preparing for this horrific event. It is responsible for the hundreds of school buses that went unused in the evacuation.

is this meant in sarcasm?

no one blames the Bush administration for the occurence of these events, but they blame the Bush administration for not taking the steps to either prevent them in the first place (see the memo titled, "Bin Laden Plans to strike inside the US" from August 2001), they are certainly responsible for the invasion of Iraq, for the debacle that has become the post-war occupation, it is responsible for wrapping FEMA up into Homeland Security, it is responsible for denying funding to the city of NO for their levees, it is responsible for being unable to respond to a natural disaster that could have very easily been a terrorist attack, especially when the whole 2004 campaign was about keeping us safe (and not just keeping us safe from boys kissing). the Bush administration is also responsible for not firing anyone, for never taking blame, for grotesque nepotism (see Michael "heckuva job" Brown), for never living up to the phrase "the buck stops here" and doing what leaders should do: taking responsibility and accountability.

as Imus said this morning, paraphrased, "you don't expect the president to be Superman; but you do expect him to be Giuliani."

of course the local governments are to blame as well. we are all heartbroken by the unused buses, we are all heartbroken by the poor escape planning, we are heartbroken that the Clinton administration did not fund the levees as well. however, to demand accountability from local governments does not mean that the Federal Government, run by the Republicans and the Bushies, is absolved from responsibility.

but watch them try. just watch them pin this on the mayor and the governor and Sen. Landrieu.