Blair warns against Scottish independence - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Blair warns against Scottish independence

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070116...s_070116191050

Oh No!

We can't have this kind of free thinking going on.

Don't worry this will smashed.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

am very interested in this subject.

would love to hear perspectives from our friends in the UK.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Re: Blair warns against Scottish independence

Do the economics justify it?

Why sever links with the second largest financial centre in the world?

Or maybe the Scots feel they don't benefit from it.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well if I was a Scot I would probably want independence.....the Scots are a very dynamic people and I'm pretty sure they would have no trouble as an independent nation...i'm not sure but if Scotland became independent I think the North sea oil would fall primarily within its territorial waters...but the oil reserves I believe are reducing quite fast.

Issues would be that there are a lot of high profile Scottish MPs in parliament...Gordon Brown for instance in line to be the next prime minister.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Scotland already has it's own banking laws, criminal laws, legal system, education system and limited parliament. Probably more autonomy than say California has from the Union, would you support independence for California and every other state.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:50 AM
I'm Scottish and i DO NOT want independence

Plus i cannot stand Alex Salmond!

Just thought i'd make my opinion clear
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The english have been subsidising the scottish for far too long. They are the fattest people in Europe and have been draining the NHS for far too long.

However surely we are stronger if we stick together.

Btw Blair was born in scotland and so was Gordon Brown. Scotland already Rule Britain.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6

Plus i cannot stand Alex Salmond!
I've only ever seen him on things like Question Time and I don't mind him even if he does seem a bit smug and patronising.

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
Scotland already Rule Britain.
Very true- plus it was a Scotsman (James VI/I) who first suggested the whole idea of a United Kingdom (it failed at the time because the English and Scots hated each other. Oh how times change! ) so if they aren't happy with it now they've only got themselves to blame! (I'm joking).

Seriously, I don't think the UK can go on as it is. Something will have to change. You can't have such huge differences between countries of the Union. Why should Scotland's NHS have drugs available that you can't get anywhere else in the UK? Why should Scotland's NHS provide free services that the rest of the UK won't? And, my old favourite, why the f**k should Scotland not have tuition fees but the rest of the UK does? (Something that would NOT have happened if SCOTTISH MPs hadn't voted for it!!).

But I know that nothing will change- an English Parliament will never happen, the Scottish MPs that seem to control Westminster at the minute would never allow it.

So long as these huge differences between Scotland and England remain then, no, I don't want Scottish Independence- I want moving there to be as easy as possible for me!!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
The english have been subsidising the scottish for far too long.
This is a bit off topic but why do we never hear anything about English Independence? We all hear about Welsh/Scottish/Irish Nationalism but never English (well nothing apart from the usual "I'm English not British", "I want an English Parliament" stuff).

If any country in the UK could leave the Union most successfully it'd be England. Is it that we don't have that same sense of national pride that the rest of them do? Is it that we don't have that same sense of union (North-South divide, East-West split, Regional pride etc.)? Is it because the British Government has been based in London for donkey's years so it's easier for us to feel British as well as English?

Why don't we just cut loose the 'baggage' (I'm looking at this through the eyes of an Engish Nationlist- I'm not voicing my own opinion!) and see what happens in a UK where there is no England hate figure for other countries to rally against and no English cash either! Personally, I do seriously wonder what would happen without England in the UK, would nationalism in the remaining countries fade or increase?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The UK is more or less England, generally the money and power is English based, even if it is run by Scots. If England left there would be no 'UK'. Nationalism here wouldn't decline, unionism would disappear off the face of the earth as there wouldn't be a union to fight for, Ireland would be united....so yeah i'm all for English Independence
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least for a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The english have been subsidising the scottish for far too long. They are the fattest people in Europe and have been draining the NHS for far too long.

However surely we are stronger if we stick together.

Btw Blair was born in scotland and so was Gordon Brown. Scotland already Rule Britain.

Sounds like an insult to me

I think that there seems to be some people in England who resent Scotland for no good reason at all quite frankly, and if you ask me it's plain envy of us much of the time

It just makes me so mad whenever i hear talk like this and the old arguments of people disrespecting my country

We're the most generous country, not tight as we've been painted by ignorants i mean we donated the biggest amount of money to the Tsunami fund, in relation to the population
Old 01-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

and if you ask me it's plain envy of us much of the time
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
Seriously, I don't think the UK can go on as it is. Something will have to change. You can't have such huge differences between countries of the Union. Why should Scotland's NHS have drugs available that you can't get anywhere else in the UK? Why should Scotland's NHS provide free services that the rest of the UK won't? And, my old favourite, why the f**k should Scotland not have tuition fees but the rest of the UK does? (Something that would NOT have happened if SCOTTISH MPs hadn't voted for it!!).
There was a thing just now on the local news about Berwick which (in case any of you don't know) sits on the England-Scotland border. It's an English town but there's a lot of people there who increasingly want to move over to the Scottish side and are doing so for precisely the reasons I gave about the NHS and education. So it really wouldn't surprise me if you're right Susan about English envy (heck, I know I'm envious!) and how easily envy is turning into straight out resentment.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

the way you put that sounds so funny and i know all about Berwick! yes, about how it used to be in Scotland but you know what Q1? You definitely are the kind of English person i do like This is how i wish we could all be!

Oh and i'm definitely fed up with resentment of us from some people
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
You definitely are the kind of English person i do like
Aw thank you!