Black people 'less intelligent' scientist claims - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

The danger is it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy particularly if IQ tests are culturally biased.
Most studies try to identify g.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:07 AM
even if such a hypothesis were theoretically true, what would it matter?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Oh, I can think of a few things...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
The danger is it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy particularly if IQ tests are culturally biased.
I'm not sure how figuring out the pattern of shapes is really a predictor of real-world intelligence anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I kind of feel like saying that I don't think this idea should really be explored, because people can draw some very harmful conclusions. Social Darwinism doesn't have that great of a track record for influencing history. I certainly don't agree with censorship of his ideas, but this seems to be largely based on his prejudices, and not an earnest scientific pursuit. He certainly seems to have a variety of prejudices:

Quote:
Dr Watson is no stranger to controversy. He has been reported in the past saying that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual.

In addition, he has suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, proposing a theory that black people have higher libidos.

He also claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured, saying: “People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great.”
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
It means all the dumb white people out there can have an ironic sense of superiority. All the ones with intelligence will find this "study" to be crap anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It means all the dumb white people out there can have an ironic sense of superiority. All the ones with intelligence will find this "study" to be crap anyway.

i hear you, but i guess what i'm wondering is if we can determine that any one group is less intelligent, or more intelligent (like, say, Ashkenazi Jews), does it affect how one might make policy in any way, shape, or form? i'm sure some idiots will take comfort in the fact that their group is supposedly smarter than another (working under this assumption), but as real world applications go, what is the "worth" of this knowledge?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #23
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:07 PM
I don't know, but Watson's own phrasing seems to suggest he thinks there's a "worth" to it:
Quote:
The 79-year-old geneticist said he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."
So, we're wasting all that aid on people too dumb to be reasonably expected to benefit from it, I guess? (And perhaps by extension, domestic programs aimed at socioeconomically disadvantaged children, etc. are wastes of time too?)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
So, we're wasting all that aid on people too dumb to be reasonably expected to benefit from it, I guess? (And perhaps by extension, domestic programs aimed at socioeconomically disadvantaged children, etc. are wastes of time too?)

you'd think, then, that they'd need more aid so they don't start swallowing their tongues and become an even bigger mess for the rest of us to have to clean up.

i'm all for asking questions, even ones that are offensive, but i also think it's helpful to understand what motivates the asking of the question.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #25
Forum Moderator

Curiosity?
Future genetic engineering possibilities?

Of course, even those guesses assume that the methods being used reliably reveal whatever it is one assumes they do.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
I Then all credibility goes out the window with the "ask any employer who employs blacks"
My thoughts exactly. That comment gives the whole game away as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

"bigotry from ignorance" argument just went down the drain.

BVS and I had an interesting discussion on this very topic a few weeks back, and, well, I rest my case. . .
Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

A comment to the Times article that I thought was worth emphasizing:

Quote:
I am a Black woman living in Scotland. I am educated to PhD level and have to deal with the ignorance and stupidity of White people (not all but far too many) every day. I score well above average in IQ tests and also scored on average higher than my White (and Asian) friends at university. It is often glaringly obvious in my day to day life people I meet consider themselves to be more intelligent that I am, until I open my mouth. Then comes the shock and disbelief that I am intelligent, follwed by insecurity as it dawns on them that I might be more intelligent than they are and then outright hatred because they simply can't cope with that realisation. I usually ignore people like Dr. Watson, whose intelligence is exceeded by their prejudices. The problem is that those incapable of critical thinking will accept what he says because of his status. Those kinds of people will always be left scratching their heads after an encounter with someone like me! Race cannot determine intelligence!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
More fierce criticism of the eminent scientist is expected as he embarks on a number of engagements to promote a new book ‘Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science’. Among his first commitments is a speech to a London audience at the Science Museum on Friday. The event is sold out.
Gee, I wonder if there's a correlation!

Racism for publicity...awesome
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I thought maybe the title of his book, Avoid Boring People, is his motto. So in order to not be boring he utters this ridiculous garbage.

Well, he together with his colleagues discovered DNA which is great, but obviously it doesn't prove anything.
Hjalmar Schacht was a financial genius, nevertheless he supported Hitler wholeheartedly.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

<-- this man is more intelligent than 99% of white people.

ETA: Mos Def, I mean. Not me