"Black National Anthem" Controversy In Denver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Artistic expression or inappropriate?

ABC News: Singer Subs Black Lyrics in National Anthem

9News.com

DENVER - Mayor John Hickenlooper's annual State of the City address may get more attention for what wasn't included than what was.

At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

Instead, she performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which is also known as the "black national anthem."

When she finished, the audience responded with mild applause. The national anthem was never performed.

Governor Bill Ritter (D-Colorado) discussed the incident on The Mike Rosen Show on 850 KOA on Wednesday morning, calling it "inappropriate."

"I don't think it's fair artistic expression," said Ritter.

Ritter went on to say he felt Marie's actions were "wrong" and "outside the bounds."

"It certainly is operating as a distraction," said Ritter.

Marie told 9NEWS she kept her plans to switch songs quiet until the very last moment. She says only she, her husband and a friend knew she was going to sing something other than the "Star-Spangled Banner."

She says she wanted to express her love of her country by mixing the lyrics of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" with the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner."

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.

Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.

When asked if he was offended, Hickenlooper said, "You know I was more confused and I think I was more ? what I was, was disappointed and confused and that's why I wanted to talk to her."

"Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1899 and set to music by his brother in 1900.

City Councilman Charlie Brown took to talk radio Tuesday afternoon to criticize the absence of the national anthem at the State of the City proceedings.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem, period," Brown said. "And that's what really bothered me. You know when we fly the flag, the American flag, it's always the highest flag, as it should be. And that didn't come across today, that didn't happen today."

In hindsight, both Brown and Hickenlooper say they should have stopped Marie or began singing themselves.

Marie says if she had the benefit of doing it over, she would sing the same song.

When asked if she would apologize for what happened she said, "No I do not."

Marie has been singing professionally for 10 years.

Brown says he doesn't have a problem with people expressing their views, but he says Marie chose the wrong venue.

LIFT EV'RY VOICE AND SING

Also known as "The Black National Anthem"

by James Weldon Johnson

Lift ev'ry voice and sing,

Till earth and heaven ring.

Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;

Let our rejoicing rise,

High as the list'ning skies,

Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.

Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,

Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;

Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,

Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,

Bitter the chast'ning rod,

Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;

Yet with a steady beat,

Have not our weary feet,

Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?

We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,

We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,

Out from the gloomy past,

Till now we stand at last

Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,

God of our silent tears,

Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;

Thou who has by Thy might,

Led us into the light,

Keep us forever in the path, we pray.

Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,

Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee,

Shadowed beneath thy hand,

May we forever stand,

True to our God,

True to our native land.

Maybe that "fair" artistic expression would be changing up the melody a bit, like some people do when they perform the anthem. Not doing a completely different song.

Art doesn't have to be fair. He could be offended all he wants, that's his perogative, but to tell her it wasn't a "fair" artistic expression is just ridiculous.

I think he just means it's "unfair" somehow to agree to do one song and to then do a completely different song. Like if you hired Bono to sing Happy Birthday at your birthday party and he did "Like A Virgin" instead. Would that be art?

Was Roseanne Barr's version artistic expression? Fair?

I think he just means it's "unfair" somehow to agree to do one song and to then do a completely different song. Like if you hired Bono to sing Happy Birthday at your birthday party and he did "Like A Virgin" instead. Would that be art?

i don't know about art, but it would certainly qualify as Best. Birthday. Ever.

In hindsight, both Brown and Hickenlooper say they should have stopped Marie or began singing themselves.

Marie says if she had the benefit of doing it over, she would sing the same song.

When asked if she would apologize for what happened she said, "No I do not."

recreate '68 baby !!

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.

Ok, we have this.

Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.

Really?

Yeah, that puzzled me either. Of course this was kind of a political statement.

recreate '68 baby !!

not in Denver

Howard Dean and the Democrats are sticking to the Bush/Cheney play book on this one, too (among others, we have seen lately, sorry Kos )

there will be a 'fenced in' Free Speech Zone :rolleyes:
removed - out of sight, from where it would have any effect

if they are going to caged them

do it right - caged in go-go dancers :up:

I have heard this song a few times

I like it

I did not know it was

The Negro National Anthem

I thought it was called

LIFT EV'RY VOICE AND SING :shrug:

It was a political statement. I don't think that was the appropriate venue for it.

That said, I'm not all that sympathetic to the national anthem defenders either.

It was a political statement.

If she's a professional singer (or is trying to be a professional singer), then I think it was also a publicity stunt. My guess is that she figured the people who would hire her because of this outnumber the people who would have hired her if she just sang the national anthem. I'm interested (mildly) to see if that turns out to be the case.

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) – Barack Obama weighed-in Thursday on the controversy surrounding a performance of the so-called Black National Anthem prior to Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s State of the City speech.

Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, says there is only one National Anthem, and Rene Marie should have sung it.

Marie created a firestorm of controversy when she sang the lyrics to “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” instead of “The Star-Spangled Banner” before the annual State of the City address Tuesday.

The song is often referred to as the “Black National Anthem” and is sung to the same tune as the traditional anthem (lyrics posted at the bottom of this page).

Obama told the Rocky Mountain News Thursday that “Lift Ev’ry Voice” is a beautiful song, but Marie should have sung what she was expected to.

"Well, Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" is a beautiful song that has been sung in African-American churches and other events for a very long time," Obama told the newspaper in a telephone interview on his way to North Dakota.

"We only have one National Anthem. And so, if she was asked to sing the National Anthem, she should have sung that.”

rene marie ~ Q & A

SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE YOUR ACTIONS HAVE JEOPARDIZED OBAMA’S BID FOR THE PRESIDENCY (exactly who believes that? :rolleyes:)

Believing that would be a serious over–estimation of my influence as an artist. Again, let me reiterate that, being apolitical, I do not support or favor any candidate. I am neutral when it comes to politics. Rather, I believe personal action is the key to social change. It is personal action that preceded every major advancement in this country, including the very establishment of the United States of America itself. This is the aspect of being American that gives me the greatest sense of pride.

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) – Barack Obama weighed-in Thursday on the controversy surrounding a performance of the so-called Black National Anthem prior to Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s State of the City speech.

This is helpful.

But it won't be settled until Jesse Jackson weighs in.

Well now I guess Senator Obama will have to account for the actions of every African American. He will have to answer for Eddie Murphy's next movie, I just hope it doesn't jeopardize his bid for the Presidency :uhoh:

I'm sure there are e-mails circulating regarding Sen Obama's secret plan to change our national anthem to Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing

It was a stunt by a local singer looking for free publicity and figured controversy was the way to get it. While she got her fifteen minutes, I hope she also sang her way out of future paying jobs.

I don’t think we need a new National Anthem. The origin of ours represents a moment in our history as a nation. I’d like to see more people learn it and most importantly, sing it.

I wouldn't mind replacing it with America The Beautiful. It's easier to sing, lovely, and not so much with all the bombs.

Actually I prefer The Star-Spangled Banner...lowly origins aside, I think it's a more stirring melody, not as "lovely" or soothing as America The Beautiful for sure, but when watching something like the Olympics for example, I find it much more distinctive-sounding by comparison. Plus it's completely secular (well, except for the fourth verse, but almost nobody knows more than the first verse anyhow).

Since I've been on the Fort McHenry tour about fifty times I've developed a soft spot for The Star Spangled Banner. One thing the Park Service guides could never answer is why "To Anacreon in Heaven" was chosen for the melody. For those of us who manage a barely recognizable "Happy Birthday" it kills

That melody is a killer, especially those high notes on "the rockets red glare and the bombs bursting in air"

It gets very low, and it gets very high, for sure.

I suppose even if it were changed to something with a simpler melody, there would be singers who would make it all the more complicated and annoying with melismas and glory notes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom