"Black National Anthem" Controversy In Denver - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
It was a political statement.
If she's a professional singer (or is trying to be a professional singer), then I think it was also a publicity stunt. My guess is that she figured the people who would hire her because of this outnumber the people who would have hired her if she just sang the national anthem. I'm interested (mildly) to see if that turns out to be the case.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Negro

Deep, you know we don't use this word anymore. . .

I don't use it. (except in context)

that is the name of the song.

African Americans - The Negro National Anthem - "Lift Every Voice and Sing" by James Weldon Johnson and John Rosamond Johnson

NPR: The 'Negro National Anthem' Flap

Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:44 AM

No worries. . .I figured it was something like that. I know you know better.

Just giving you a hard time,
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) – Barack Obama weighed-in Thursday on the controversy surrounding a performance of the so-called Black National Anthem prior to Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s State of the City speech.

Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, says there is only one National Anthem, and Rene Marie should have sung it.

Marie created a firestorm of controversy when she sang the lyrics to “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” instead of “The Star-Spangled Banner” before the annual State of the City address Tuesday.

The song is often referred to as the “Black National Anthem” and is sung to the same tune as the traditional anthem (lyrics posted at the bottom of this page).

Obama told the Rocky Mountain News Thursday that “Lift Ev’ry Voice” is a beautiful song, but Marie should have sung what she was expected to.

"Well, Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" is a beautiful song that has been sung in African-American churches and other events for a very long time," Obama told the newspaper in a telephone interview on his way to North Dakota.

"We only have one National Anthem. And so, if she was asked to sing the National Anthem, she should have sung that.”

rene marie ~ Q & A

SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE YOUR ACTIONS HAVE JEOPARDIZED OBAMA’S BID FOR THE PRESIDENCY (exactly who believes that? )

Believing that would be a serious over–estimation of my influence as an artist. Again, let me reiterate that, being apolitical, I do not support or favor any candidate. I am neutral when it comes to politics. Rather, I believe personal action is the key to social change. It is personal action that preceded every major advancement in this country, including the very establishment of the United States of America itself. This is the aspect of being American that gives me the greatest sense of pride.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) – Barack Obama weighed-in Thursday on the controversy surrounding a performance of the so-called Black National Anthem prior to Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s State of the City speech.
This is helpful.

But it won't be settled until Jesse Jackson weighs in.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:44 AM

Don't forget the other Reverend.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Well now I guess Senator Obama will have to account for the actions of every African American. He will have to answer for Eddie Murphy's next movie, I just hope it doesn't jeopardize his bid for the Presidency

I'm sure there are e-mails circulating regarding Sen Obama's secret plan to change our national anthem to Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 AM
I think she was a bit devious, but we really could have a better national anthem.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It was a stunt by a local singer looking for free publicity and figured controversy was the way to get it. While she got her fifteen minutes, I hope she also sang her way out of future paying jobs.

I don’t think we need a new National Anthem. The origin of ours represents a moment in our history as a nation. I’d like to see more people learn it and most importantly, sing it.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

I wouldn't mind replacing it with America The Beautiful. It's easier to sing, lovely, and not so much with all the bombs.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Actually I prefer The Star-Spangled Banner...lowly origins aside, I think it's a more stirring melody, not as "lovely" or soothing as America The Beautiful for sure, but when watching something like the Olympics for example, I find it much more distinctive-sounding by comparison. Plus it's completely secular (well, except for the fourth verse, but almost nobody knows more than the first verse anyhow).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Plus it's completely secular (well, except for the fourth verse, but almost nobody knows more than the first verse anyhow).

Good point!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Since I've been on the Fort McHenry tour about fifty times I've developed a soft spot for The Star Spangled Banner. One thing the Park Service guides could never answer is why "To Anacreon in Heaven" was chosen for the melody. For those of us who manage a barely recognizable "Happy Birthday" it kills
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That melody is a killer, especially those high notes on "the rockets red glare and the bombs bursting in air"
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

It gets very low, and it gets very high, for sure.

I suppose even if it were changed to something with a simpler melody, there would be singers who would make it all the more complicated and annoying with melismas and glory notes.