Black Box for Teenage Drivers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I don't know how it is where you are Rono but in California at least, parents have to sign something saying that THEY are financially responsible for any damages their children do while driving a car...that's a huge incentive for me to want to know what my kids are doing while they are out driving around.

minnesota and south dakota don't have this financially sound rule. i think that's sorta what tabs are for.

this idea is completely big brother and really kinda gross. a map of where i've been for the night? if i didn't trust my kids i doubt i'd be letting them go out with a car i'm paying for. and while speed is a concern, you can always install a "governor" on the engine which checks speeds. like if you want the top speed to be 80 in a car, then you set the governor to 80 and the car will never go faster than that. of course, you'd make it relative to your speed limits. our interstate speed limit is 75, so i don't know that i'd put it at 80. but in southern california, people drive hilariously fast and if your car is the one car going 55 and everyone else is going 80, you are also posing a huge risk because cars will have to swerve to miss hitting you etc. speed is a risk business and the most important thing is to stress wearing seatbelts. without them, i'd have lost two very dear people on thursday.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

if i didn't trust my kids i doubt i'd be letting them go out with a car i'm paying for.
While I agree with using the box in some cases, this is probably what most parents should do instead of relying on a tracking device.

I didn't let my now 18 year old son get his driver's license when he was 16...he was completely irresponsible and there was no way I was going to be held liable for what he did behind the wheel. He still doesn't have a license but if he chooses to get one now, he's on his own and will NOT be driving one of my cars.

On the other hand, my youngest is now 16 and I have no qualms whatsover about letting him drive.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

here you can legally drive when you're 14 (not past 10pm, basically just so farm kids can go to school).

good point on
Quote:
While I agree with using the box in some cases, this is probably what most parents should do instead of relying on a tracking device.
it kind of conjures the question on parenting. if we can't depend on parents to parent, does the government take over for that? or does the government taking over parenting make parents more apathetic toward parenting their kids?
Old 09-14-2003, 04:04 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 02:32 AM
I think it's a good idea if it produces better, safer drivers. In that case I think it should be available to everyone, not just teenagers. There's a lot of adults who have plenty of experience driving, but still break the law, sometimes without realising it.

This kind of device would be better used, I think, as a simple warning system when one speeds, or does something else detectably illegal, rather than being a tracking device.

I've had my licence just over a year, and I am very grateful to my parents for trusting me enough to drive their car. However I know I make mistakes, and it would be very helpful to be reminded if I go over the speed limit, run a red light, stuff like that ... it's a big transition from driving with an instructor or parent to driving on your own, and some people I know seem to forget what the rules are when they drive by themselves.

However the device as it is now couldn't do an on-the-spot warning, which is a bit pointless. I'm not opposed to the idea because it would promote safety, but I think it should be applied to everyone, not just teenagers.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:45 AM   #20
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Local Time: 08:32 PM
As the mother of a teenager who just got his license, I think it's awful. What about all the dangerous adult drivers out there and all the incompetant elderly drivers? Not all teens are bad just like not all old folks are senile. People of any age can be a bad driver. Either give it to everyone or no one. This is almost as rude ad the hidden cameras in teenager's bedrooms, but that was the worst. I saw it on one of those news shows.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:32 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
As the mother of a teenager who just got his license, I think it's awful. What about all the dangerous adult drivers out there and all the incompetant elderly drivers? Not all teens are bad just like not all old folks are senile. People of any age can be a bad driver. Either give it to everyone or no one. This is almost as rude ad the hidden cameras in teenager's bedrooms, but that was the worst. I saw it on one of those news shows.
Absolutely. If you don't trust your child to the point that you have to put one of these boxes on the car, then maybe you should evaluate your parenting skills and not the kid's driving.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:20 AM   #22
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I'd be more interested in seeing a limitation on horsepower and kilowatt that a teen can drive, especially those on their L's or P's as it is over here. Too often I see young kids with P Plates hooning around in a brand new Club Sport or Nissan 300 ZX (or whatever those things are). They aren't the cars an inexperienced driver should be allowed to operate. We have restrictions here on motorbikes, on the cc's it can have. Why not cars as well?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:45 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'd be more interested in seeing a limitation on horsepower and kilowatt that a teen can drive, especially those on their L's or P's as it is over here. Too often I see young kids with P Plates hooning around in a brand new Club Sport or Nissan 300 ZX (or whatever those things are). They aren't the cars an inexperienced driver should be allowed to operate. We have restrictions here on motorbikes, on the cc's it can have. Why not cars as well?
Well, I think there should be limitations on the kinds of cars anyone should drive, because having restrictions just on teenagers is going to encourage them to drive those cars anyway - what's not allowed is always more desirable!

I'm stuck driving my dad's 1984 Mitsubishi Nimbus, not exactly the ideal car to go hooning in! Not that I would anyway, but knowing that it's somewhat fragile is a good incentive to drive carefully. Maybe all teenagers should be given a family wagon when they get their licence ...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:47 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Re: Black Box for Teenage Drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
A device to warn young drivers when they exceed top speed limits. Soon, an add-on to map where they go.
I don't know many adults who are very good with staying with the speed limit, though.

Melon
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 AM   #25
Refugee

An invasion of privacy? If you need privacy in the car, maybe you shouldn't be driving...

I think this is a great idea. Not just for teenagers, but make it standard in every car.

I think a law against talking on cell phones while driving, whether you're on a headset or not, would help traffic safety tremedously.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~
Maybe all teenagers should be given a family wagon when they get their licence ...
Maybe all teenagers shouldn't be given a car at all. How about buying one themselves?

By the way... that is a completely biased statement. My parents wouldn't buy me a car which caused several years of jealousy and anger to ensue but now I understand. I think a little deprivation is good for teenagers nowadays.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Keocmb
An invasion of privacy? If you need privacy in the car, maybe you shouldn't be driving...
How does this make sence?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #28
Refugee

Re: Black Box for Teenage Drivers

Quote:
How does this make sence?
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
A device to warn young drivers when they exceed top speed limits. Soon, an add-on to map where they go.

Does the device make more consciensous drivers, or is the threat to privacy too great?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for clearing that one up. I guess you'll want to put one in my shoes while you're at it.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

To what extent is there a "right to privacy" while driving on a public road? Is it just the contents of your vehicle, or does it extend to how you use your vehicle (ie, driving in excess of posted speed limits)?