BK Takes a Stand Against UK's Food Police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm.....speaking as one who, like Iron Horse, is usually opposed to unnecessary government regulations, it strikes me that restaurants opting out of a VOLUNTARY system, makes it more likely that government will get heavy and make the guidelines compulsory and with full legal backing.

So I'm not sure if I agree with Burger Kings actions to be honest....as I would see it they are putting it up to the UK government.....and one possible consequence is that the UK government bites back...as there is nothing that Blairs New Labour, like most European governments, likes better than introducing new regulations and creating new bureacacracies to create more work for civil servants.

Last edited:
A good point, financeguy.

That said, I'm happy someone's at least trying to point out how silly it is to make fast food, which, last I checked, never claimed to be and never was the healthiest thing out there, more healthy. If you want healthy food, go to the store and buy carrots and green beans and tomatoes and apples and oranges and all that good stuff.

If I want to go to Burger King and pour salt all over my fries, that's my choice and I will have to deal with the potential consequences. The restaurant never forced me to put the stuff on my fries.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
A good point, financeguy.

That said, I'm happy someone's at least trying to point out how silly it is to make fast food, which, last I checked, never claimed to be and never was the healthiest thing out there, more healthy. If you want healthy food, go to the store and buy carrots and green beans and tomatoes and apples and oranges and all that good stuff.

If I want to go to Burger King and pour salt all over my fries, that's my choice and I will have to deal with the potential consequences. The restaurant never forced me to put the stuff on my fries.

Angela

:up: Freedom is a wonderful thing

I love how this is turned into some kind of freedom/big government debate. I don't think there's anything wrong with governments trying to persuade the food industry to voluntarily make their food healthier. If you don't like that, simply don't eat at the participating food chains. Freedom is indeed a wonderful thing. :heart:

DrTeeth said:

Food Police?

You can exert quite a bit of control and influence through a "voluntary" program. Especially if the program acts as a "government seal of approval".

I think we all agree with the goals of the program, but the underlying principle that is used may not get such vigorous backing if the voluntary program dealt with some other aspect of life.

"I think we all agree with the goals of the program, but the underlying principle that is used may not get such vigorous backing if the voluntary program dealt with some other aspect of life."

nbcrusader, this is what I believe, is the danger.

To boil the frog in the kettle, you start on warm and then raise the heat.

"Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither."

~Benjamin Franklin

DrTeeth said:
I love how this is turned into some kind of freedom/big government debate. I don't think there's anything wrong with governments trying to persuade the food industry to voluntarily make their food healthier.

Well, why should it be the government's job to suggest that to begin with? I'd like to think they'd be focusing on more important issues than individuals' eating habits.

That said...

Originally posted by DrTeeth
If you don't like that, simply don't eat at the participating food chains. Freedom is indeed a wonderful thing. :heart:

...this is true, too.

Also, :up: to Dismantled :).

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom