Bird Flu Pandemic - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
actually, i think it was my year long exposure to european strands of colds, flus, and strep that has made me invulnerable to everything -- i spend loads of time on public transportation and work in a big old office and it's still been years.

so i'm doomed. doomed! not even Brangelina's baby can save us.
Similar for me...15 years of riding the subway in NYC and now I travel constantly and work with the public, shaking lots of hands and kissing lots of cheeks. A couple of weeks ago on a flight back east the plane just reeked of sickness. People were coughing and looked unhealthy and gross, and I thought, well, there goes my lucky health streak. But no. That last time I did get sick last, though, was a vicious case of strep throat, worst I ever had.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:43 AM
But it was the same for me - a lifetime of public transport, 4 years at a college of 50,000 people, in close quarters with them every day, and so on.

Still isn't comparable to a SCID clinic at a hospital, not even close, believe me.

You just won't find the same pathogens in the general population as you will among people who have no immune system.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #63
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:43 PM
THIS WILL HAPPEN AND MILLIONS WILL DIE
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 AM
What is Jesus doing about it
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #65
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
I agree with this statement that this will happen and human get from human, but they will make the vaccine for it and dont let the flu spread too much. Where the human flu will be developed, many will die ...no doubt. In a little while...I think in autumn or winter.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

The WHO says it is "imminent." I guess it all depends on how one defines that. One of my concerns is that it could already be spreading human-to-human in someplace like Iraq where there is too much chaos to monitor it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

It's obviously going to happen because it is now in the population. The question is whether it will be a pandemic and how effective we'll be at curbing the effects, and how quickly a good vaccine will be mass produced.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I agree. The worst-case scenarios are unimaginable; best-case would be something like the Hong Kong flu which I remember as a child. In reading the transcript of Michael Leavitt's speech from New Hampshire it really sounded like he was trying not to panic people which made me feel like they know a lot more than what is being reported.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #69
The Fly

I think we shouldn't worry, because too much worrying causes panic, which has absolutely no sense. It is only a disease and will calm down
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackberry
I think we shouldn't worry, because too much worrying causes panic, which has absolutely no sense. It is only a disease and will calm down
Being prepared is what keeps the panic level down. But I know what you mean--I'm not "worrying" exactly, just monitoring it and preparing, and even then I know there's but only so much I can do.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 04:43 PM
AliEnvy, any chance you can link to that Toronto Star report? There has to be an online version. We have no public media in the US to speak of, IMO, God forbid they'd ever actually print info that is relevant to the public. The Forth Estate is in ruins, and that's no exaggeration.

Am I doomed or not? I have pluses and minuses....plus: I used to have a healthy immune system but years of working with the general public in day cares, schools, and retail has eroded it somewhat. I don;t catch the first serious bug that goes around but the 3rd time around I generally do.

After reading this thread, I have actually begun some small stockpiling for this--don't laugh (gallons of Poland Spring, the bottles with the carryhandle, of course), big "budget size" cans of baked beans, mixed veggies, peppers, rice packets, multigrain cereal, tomato sauce, oatmeal packets, , condensed milk, piopcorn, and so on. I'd love to have a better food guide! I have a huge pantry and closet space. Bought a huge flashlight, now the batteries? A lousy start, but it;s a start. I alos live approximately a 50 second walk from a 24 hr grocery, so if a panic begins I can get there quicker than anyone else. I also have an organic veggie garden, enclosed by a tall locked gate. (But I've always had one of those.)

On the minus side, I'm in my 30's and live on the first floor of an apartment building that is located down the street from a major university and across from a huge shopping mall, in a busy commercial district. I have a friend with a house a minute's drive away, but what good will that do? I'll be jobless and lose the apt...so yes, I'm doomed. LOL.

Oh well. Like you said, we can do only what we can and not worry otherwise.....
Old 06-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Has anyone here started to stock up on specially prepared and packaged food that can last for several years? I think that would be the real sign that there is a crises coming.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
Then again, nothing might happen, and millions will still die.

Millions die. It's a fact of life (no pun intended).

I guess I'm kind of fatalistic about stuff like this. If it happens, it happens. I don't fault anyone for preparing or stockpiling or whatever. . .I haven't chosen to do so myself, at least not yet.

We like to tell ourselves we have some control over whether we live or die, but really we don't.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What is Jesus doing about it
Probably not much more than He usually does. I'm not sure where we got the idea that God is supposed to stop all "natural catastrophies" and other horrific events that kill many. He never made any such commitments or promises.

Behind the whole question of "where is God" in the face of disaster is the implication that a loving God should protect people from dying in disasters. But if you take this thought just a little further it doesn't really make sense. Under what circumstances is God "allowed" to let people die? What is it about natural disasters or disease pandemics that make us demand God's action.? Is death okay if it happens only to one person at a time or in small groups? Is death okay if doesn't make the news? Let's say that He should protect people from all natural disasters. Is it okay for them to die in car crashes then? No? Well, then he should protect people from accidents also? What about illnesses and diseases? What about murders? Old age? What we we're really saying is that God should grant His creations immortality and immunity from the consequences of their actions on both a personal or global scale. That's the tall order behind the questiion "what is Jesus doing about it?"

And for those who don't believe in God at all, I'm not sure what's the point in complaining. It's like me complaining that Santa Claus only comes once a year.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:13 PM
I was watching the AIDS special on PBS earlier this week and someone commented on how 30 million people have died from AIDS and 70 million are presently infected. Yet it all started with one case and the only way of contracting it was through sex, blood transfusions, needle sharing or if your mother was HIV positive. So if such a killer flu ever reaches the point of human to human transfer like other flu viruses, I don't like our chances.