Bird Flu Pandemic - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:45 AM
This is one nasty virus. It's current mortality rate is around 70%, which puts it on par with hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola and Marburg. Maybe it wouldn't be that high in developed countries, but that is still a scary stat for a disease that is airborne.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Deadly bird flu strain confirmed in Turkey
Virus also detected in Romania; EU bans import, calls emergency meeting

Updated: 11:01 a.m. ET Oct. 13, 2005

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Turkey has the type of bird flu dangerous to humans and European authorities are working on the assumption that cases discovered in Romania are of the same strain, the European Union’s health chief said on Thursday.

His comments were the first official confirmation that the potentially lethal virus, which has killed more than 60 people in Asia since 2003, has now reached southeastern Europe.

“The virus found in Turkey is avian flu H5N1 high pathogenic virus,” EU Health and Consumer Protection chief Markos Kyprianou told a news conference.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674377/

Old 10-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 05:45 PM
I'm a bit afraid of this - esp. since there's no vaccine yet
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 AM
This is scary.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:13 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Like STING posted: The shit bird flu is in Turkey now. It also has been found in Romania, in the danube delta. from there the birds fly off all around Europe. The EU is thinking of forbidding dem chicken to go outside now.

Dunno, but it gives me a creepy feeling. And there is no vaccination? Wasn´t there talks 2 weeks ago that there was vaccination, but just not enough of it?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:36 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

What I'd like to know is, why didn't anyone do anything about this three years ago (or however long ago it was) when this first broke out?

Thanks again, Bush and other world leaders! If it's not in our backyard, who the fuck cares?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:15 AM
I have an ambivalent attitude to this eventual catastrophe. I think it will happen in the near future, but I'm not going to worry about it because there ain't much you can do about it. This is nature at it's most powerful, a genetic cull of society. That sounded cruel and heartless but disease is a consequence of living in a global village.

hiphop, I think you are talking about Tamiflu medication which is made in a single factory in Switzerland ( not sure). I don't think it is a specific vaccine but apparently it is one of the best treatments available. Unfortunately, they are the only ones who supply it and everyone and their butcher is trying to get their hands on it.

Cover story of this months National Geographic is about : The Next Killer Flu
I just picked it up today.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Old 10-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:45 AM
In Italy, the percentage of selling of chicken meal went down of almost 40%.

And the worst thing is that there's really little information about this possible pandemic
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have to wonder how this outbreak would be dealt with in the developed world. Everytime I think about this I see "bring out yer dead" images, so it's weird to consider it in the context of SUVs and iPods.

Who wants to place bets on which country will confirm it next? (Romania being the last one)

god i hope it doesnt come this winter
Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I hope everything will be alright, but I am scared of how things could go.
In particular, I am scared that this epidemic could go like it was for Sars some time ago... with people denying the emergency while people were dying
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8
Old 10-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was watching tv tonight... there were 4 or 5 ads regarding "italian chicken" that we can consider "safe".

Dunno what to think about it...
Old 05-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

I'm boosting this thread because I think it's one of the most important things we should be talking about. Last week's possible human-to-human transmissions in Indonesia, resulting in the deaths of 8 family members, is a new concern, the fact that at least 1 case has been reported in Iraq and we have soldiers returning home all the time, and the fact that the Secretary of Health & Human Services, Michael Leavitt, is going state-to-state urging people to begin preparations, is all a huge concern to me. I disagree that there is nothing we can do. There is a hell of a lot we can do, from preparing our own homes to contacting our state reps to find out how prepared we are locally to respond.

Here are some websites I've been checking for info and welcome all other suggestions for sources of good info:

http://www.pandemicinfosite.com/
Read Leavitt's entire speech from New Hampshire on "We're overdue for a pandemic"--has fascinating info from the 1918 pandemic

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl....html?mod=blogs
Wall Street Journal's hour-by-hour updates on what's happening

http://www.fluwikie.com/
has a huge list of how to prepare

http://www.effectmeasure.blogspot.com/
a great blog written anonymously by apparently well-known doctors who are all over this thing and are saying wake up and smell the Indonesian coffee

http://newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Bird+Flu
great UK site culling bird flu reports from all over the world.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #45
Acrobat

I rarely watch the Oprah Winfrey show, but did tune in today because the topic was the bird flu. The expert guest painted a pretty bleak picture of what would happen if a pandemic did break out, but nothing I didn't already know. Oprah does have a pretty big national audience, so hopefully today's show will make others aware that the possibility of a pandemic is very real and something that should be paid more attention to.

Not to make light of this, but I hope everyone realizes that if this pandemic does break out in the next several months, and let's hope to God it doesn't, you can forget about seeing U2 in Australia, Japan or Hawaii in December. Large public gatherings like concerts or sporting events would be likely prohibited, and I doubt that band would even risk travelling anywhere under those circumstances. I remember reading somewhere that Australia already has plans to immediately keep out all incoming international flights if and when a pandemic starts.