Binge drinking in Europe - worst in Ireland, Finland, UK, Denmark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

I know it seems like an easy answer, but can it be coincidence the worst 'offenders' are all northerly countries with wet climates?

Doesn't sound too far off to me. I know if I had to live in one of those countries.....well, I don't know WHAT I'd do! Very beautiful places, but I couldn't handle it....

I remember years ago when I was traveling all over Europe, I was reading up on my then next-stop, Norway. I read in a travel guide to prepare myself for seeing drunk people throwing up on the streets frequently. I couldn't believe how much of that I actually saw.

i drank a whole lot during the winter in brussels. you need to stave off the grey and darkness and constant drizzle somehow.

More than five drinks.... beer included?
My mother drinks a bottle of wine occasionally. That's more than five drinks, but I wouldn't call it binge drinking.

Didn't see Denmark up there. Although they have serious problems among the people of Greenland, but they don't make such a huge group (though, if you consider Denmark's population every single person is a "huge group" :wink: )

When I was in Norway I didn't see so many drunk people, but I've not been so much in the cities either.
Still surprising considering the prices for alcohol.

Another surprise is that member countries of the east are not up there.

Last edited:
i've never seen more vomit on the street than when i did a pub crawl in Edinburgh.

love that city all the same.

Not much else to do in Halifax. :wink:

No seriously, it's a depressed economy and salaries are shiiiiiiiiiitty.

I think it is a combination of misserable weather and the law on pubs

living in Ireland now I have to say the weather here isn't worse than it was in The Netherlands
it's more mild over here even

a big difference is the times that they close bars here
= way too early!

in The Netherlands I usually wouldn't even have considered going out until 10.30 - 11.00
over here you see the first drunks in the street at about 9

I think the pubs closing early has caused a certain mentality that when you do get to drink you drink lots and quickly

I'm just guessing though
I also guess in Scandinavia it is just way too cold :D

Salome said:

I also guess in Scandinavia it is just way too cold :D

Lol :wink: I honestly find it extremely amusing if people seriously think we drink so much because of a "miserable" climate. Personally I wouldn't want to live in any other climate than what we have here in Scandinavia - it's amazing to have four such different and beautiful seasons.

Don't ask me why we drink so much as we do, though. I'm too drunk to tell you the answer. :drunk: :D

i always thought it was less the miserable winter weather (though that has something to do with it) and more the whole 18 hours of darkness in the winter.

i've been to Scandinavia, but in the summer, and it was glorious.

Irvine511 said:
i always thought it was less the miserable winter weather (though that has something to do with it) and more the whole 18 hours of darkness in the winter.

Well, I admit that there might be some truth there. The darkness can be tough sometimes, but knowing that summer (and its 24 hours of daylight) is on its way make the dark time easier to handle. I personally enjoy winter, it's perfect for staying inside, burning candles, listening to music, drinking hot chocolate,...:)

Oh, and off topic we go.

Salome said:

over here you see the first drunks in the street at about 9

i saw drunks on the loose at 3.35pm today. yeooo.

nothing like living in a place with a lot of students and finding boke on your doorstep on a regular basis :)

Back
Top Bottom