Bin Laden-Person Of The Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In a few weeks, Osama bin Laden may be on the cover of Time magazine as "Person of the Year," according to a report on The Washington Times Web site.

A Time spokeswoman confirmed Thursday that the terrorist is "one of a dozen under consideration" for the title, according to the report.

Time's managing editor, James Kelly, has said the moniker designates the one person on Earth who has had the biggest effect on history throughout the year -- for better or worse.

Time started giving out the title in 1927. Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938. Joseph Stalin made the cover in 1939 and 1942, and Ayatollah Khomeini was on the front in 1979.

OK, I understand-it applies 'for better or worse'-but it still 'rubs me the wrong way'.

Well, considering they gave it to Hitler, et al, he's in the running, for sure.

My vote went to Rudy Giuliani.

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 12-17-2001).]

Originally posted by Gina Marie:

Time's managing editor, James Kelly, has said the moniker designates the one person on Earth who has had the biggest effect on history throughout the year -- for better or worse.

I don't care what the reasoning is...

Person of the Year should be something positive.

I think that naming him Person of the Year for whatever reason is just glorifying the fucker.

Pardon my language.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by Gina Marie:

In a few weeks, Osama bin Laden may be on the cover of Time magazine as "Person of the Year," according to a report on The Washington Times Web site.

A Time spokeswoman confirmed Thursday that the terrorist is "one of a dozen under consideration" for the title, according to the report.

Time started giving out the title in 1927. Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938. Joseph Stalin made the cover in 1939 and 1942, and Ayatollah Khomeini was on the front in 1979.

OK, I understand-it applies 'for better or worse'-but it still 'rubs me the wrong way'.

Well, considering they gave it to Hitler, et al, he's in the running, for sure.

My vote went to Rudy Giuliani.

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 12-17-2001).]

Ah..just another example of how twisted our media is.. My vote.. Sean Connery.

Osama Bin Laden should get it. Being the person of the year does not make any judgements about what kind of person they are, but of the impact they have had.

I really can't think of anyone in the world who has made a more significant one this year. You can boo-hoo it all you want, but the fact remains that no one comes closer to fitting the criteria for "Person Of The Year" than Osama Bin Laden.

He changed the world dramatically - for the worse, but it was still a significant one.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 12-17-2001).]

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Osama Bin Laden should get it. Being the person of the year does not make any judgements about what kind of person they are, but of the impact they have had.

I really can't think of anyone in the world who has made a more significant one this year. You can boo-hoo it all you want, but the fact remains that no one comes closer to fitting the criteria for "Person Of The Year" than Osama Bin Laden.

He changed the world dramatically - for the worse, but it was still a significant one.

Ah Gonz.. 'In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit'..

Hit me with the Urdu Now..

For better or worse.

Ahem.

Come on people i never seen a thread about how disgusted you were with the 37' man of the year. And dare i say that that man was much much worse.

Gulliani is a great choice but really would there be a Gulliani without a Osama?

He is the person that captivated the world. Its sad but true!!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by bonoman:
For better or worse.

Ahem.

Come on people i never seen a thread about how disgusted you were with the 37' man of the year. And dare i say that that man was much much worse.

Gulliani is a great choice but really would there be a Gulliani without a Osama?

He is the person that captivated the world. Its sad but true!!!

Agreed... Gulliani (sp?) would be a great choice.. but even more so I'd say Bush should get it.. Yes, Osama and his crew created the event of the year, but For an action so strong, Such a response by BUsh.. Such determined action, and such integrous character of a man whose country just underwent thousands of casualties from pure evil, for him to change the whole movement of his term his whole priorities into wiping out terrorism, and doing it in Afghanistan... With many more countries to come.. Indonesia, and the phillipines have asked for help as of late... Such a response shows more impact than an initial action.

It's Giuliani.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever!

There's a difference between being objective and being PC.

Osama is undoubtably man of the year if the criteria is 'the one person on Earth who has had the biggest effect on history throughout the year -- for better or worse.'

------------------
This post brought to you by: Creed "The bestest band, er..make that most important band ever...even including Def Leppard, yeah."

AIM: JuanSwallow

I give the title to God - the terrorists acts were committed in the name of religion (despite the pervision of Islam that is Al Queda), the President's faith-based inititative, the reign of the Taliban, the increased spirituality in the wake of the attackes, the Drop the Debt campaign.

I think God the entity had more impact than any other single idea

I hate all these categorizations. Such a societal obsession. Do we need a "person of the year," a "top 100 videos of 2001," etc.? The person of the year, to me, goes to someone whom I shall not mention, but has made me happier than I have ever been. And that is all that matters to me. To hell with Time magazine. I only read it in the doctor's office anyway.

~Melon

------------------
"Oh no...my brains."

Common , it's just a " see my face at Time magazine cover " , a circle waiting for a mark be written
Well , yes , for the whole world ( including all countries ) , Ben Laden is the men of the year , and 70% of people in the outside world ,OUTSIDE , the north America , don't even know or will not remember after a few months who is Rudolf Gulliani ( for all due respect for him , he is a great man )
Ben Laden , was a man , about whome spoke the whole world , a man who decided to began a "holly" war against the most powerful enemy , he could ever take ; want we or not - his effect on history is very big ;

jonflag.gif

"i have a dream, a dream when they will let us show nakednews on comedy central"

ok i made the quote up but what the hell
biggrin.gif

Is the person of the year ever someone who isn't an American or who doesn't have a huge connection to America (like Bin Laden)?

Correction--if the person of the year is a "good person" (as I think they usually are), are they ever not American?

I'm just curious.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-19-2001).]

The criteria TIME uses to choose, I imagine, are quite flexible, despite what the editor of TIME says.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 12-19-2001).]

Is the person of the year ever someone who isn't an American or who doesn't have a huge connection to America (like Bin Laden)?

Correction--if the person of the year is a "good person" (as I think they usually are), are they ever not American?

It has nothing to do with how American they are and everything to do with how much impact they have had on the world as a whole. High profile foreigners get it quite often.

It has nothing to do with how American they are and everything to do with how much impact they have had on the world as a whole. High profile foreigners get it quite often.

As I stated above, I think Bush should get it.. And What a better person to back me up than the Magical Lord John McCain.. And no they don't just share the skin lesions in common.. Here's teh Link.. Check it out...
http://www.humanevents.org/articles/12-17-01/mccain.html

--Based on the criteria I think it should go to the hijackers who flew the planes into the WTC. I'm still questioning Bin Ladin's involvement in the deal.
--Rudy Guilianni? What the freak!? What did he do to impact the world? He was mayor of the city that was attacked, but did he actually do anything to effect the history of the world? If the city weren't attacked, he would have done nothing...not to say he did much besides repeat statistics and words of cliched wisdom. Rudy wouldn't get my vote.
--What about Bono? He's effected more lives worldwide than Guilianni. Why not put him on the list?

Originally posted by Danospano:
--Based on the criteria I think it should go to the hijackers who flew the planes into the WTC. I'm still questioning Bin Ladin's involvement in the deal.
--Rudy Guilianni? What the freak!? What did he do to impact the world? He was mayor of the city that was attacked, but did he actually do anything to effect the history of the world? If the city weren't attacked, he would have done nothing...not to say he did much besides repeat statistics and words of cliched wisdom. Rudy wouldn't get my vote.
--What about Bono? He's effected more lives worldwide than Guilianni. Why not put him on the list?

1. Have you seen the video tape? How could you not believe that Bin Laden had a hand in Sept. 11. Bin Laden said on that tape that the casulties were more than he had estimated.

2. Guliani held together very well under the pressure. He's the mayor of the biggest city in the world, the financial center of the US and world markets, the symbol of freedom in this country, and it was subjected to the biggest terrorist attack on our nation's soil in our history (although you could argue that the war of 1812 was just plain terrorism...). Anyway, his managing the city under that pressure and juggeling all that had to be done was quite admiral. That being said, no, he does not deserve the Time Person of the Year.

3. look, I'm as big a U2 fan as anyone else, but Bono certainly does not deserve Person of the Year. He's a rock star who's making the case for a global aids initiative. He's not in the trenches. He certainly does not deserve the title. His impact is miniscule in the larger picture of things. If Bono finds the cure to Aids, then you can certainly make the argument. Until then, or sainthood, nah mate....

My people for Person of the Year.

Bin Laden
Yasser Arrafat
Sharron
Hussain
Stephen Hawking (just b/c I think he should get it for sticking around so long and being so brilliant. Ok, lame reaoning I know...)
The highjackers

Honestly, I can't really think of any others but I know that I'm just missing the less obvious people. I'm sure there are some scientists who have done some amazing things.

[This message has been edited by popkidu2 (edited 12-22-2001).]

NY Mayor Named Time's Person of 2001
By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Heralded for his steadfast response to a grief-torn city after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani on Sunday was named Time magazine's Person of the Year.

The magazine's editors chose Giuliani ``for having more faith in us than we had in ourselves, for being brave when required and rude where appropriate and tender without being trite, for not sleeping and not quitting and not shrinking from the pain all around him.''

Time managing editor Jim Kelly said he knew on Sept. 11 that the Person of the Year would have some connection to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon . Editors spent hours debating whether to name Osama bin Laden , the prime suspect in the terror assault, for the spot, Kelly said.

But bin Laden was ``too small a man to get the credit for all that has happened in America in the autumn of 2001,'' the magazine said. ``It is what came after his men had finished their job that has come to define this year.''

Giuliani's communications director, Sunny Mindel, said: ``The mayor is very humbled and feels this honor is really being given to the people of the city of New York for their courage and bravery during the most horrific attack on the United States.''

The Person of the Year package includes an oral history of Sept. 11 as told by Giuliani and his aides. The issue hits newsstands on Monday, one week before Giuliani's last day in office after eight years.

Giuliani was barred by term limits from seeking a third consecutive term. Michael Bloomberg will be sworn in as mayor at midnight on Dec. 31.

Giuliani, 57, departs amid an outpouring of praise that contrasts with the period prior to Sept. 11, when newspapers were full of tidbits about his divorce and accounts of his angry public outbursts.

Giuliani had his share of difficulties - from a series of fatal police shootings of unarmed black men in which he reflexively defended the officers, to a losing battle with the Brooklyn Museum of Art over what he labeled ``indecent'' art.

But in the span of a few days, Giuliani's unusually gentle handling of a city in despair after the attack vaulted him from being regarded as a prickly lame duck politician who had run out of ideas to a civic saint mentioned for the Nobel Prize.

Giuliani has acknowledged recently that there are some things he could have done better.

``I have the feeling that you have when you've done everything you can do,'' Giuliani said. ``Where you feel, 'Well, I haven't held back any effort.' There are things probably I would do differently in terms of judgments I would make if I could make them again, but I've given every effort that I'm capable of and tried to do as good a job as mayor as I possibly could do. So I feel happy about that at least.''

Originally posted by Hans Moleman:
I hate all these categorizations. Such a societal obsession. Do we need a "person of the year," a "top 100 videos of 2001," etc.? The person of the year, to me, goes to someone whom I shall not mention, but has made me happier than I have ever been. And that is all that matters to me. To hell with Time magazine. I only read it in the doctor's office anyway.

~Melon

I agree...we are way too obsessed with giving these so-called honors to things and people. It's all very superficial. Let the actions of all the mentioned people in this thread speak for themselves, must we take away from them by placing them on a list?

------------------
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

Back
Top Bottom