Billy Graham is a Democrat - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."
--Ann Coulter

That's what I call religious hate.

Most comments on FYM are critical of a certain kind of Christianity but not Christians in general.

you know, she's so extreme in her views, that i wonder if she's not a brilliant ironist.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #62
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
is that meant to be as rude as it comes off?
Oh, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the thread in general. Half of the threads here devolve into bickering about homosexuality, abortion, or Christianity, and this one's just another glaring example. Nothing personal.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:58 AM
On the bible note, it clearly states that people shouldnt have sex outside of marriage, cheat on their spouse, lie, steal, sinfully judge people, gossip, etc etc
So in that sense if christians were to either hate or judge or do whatever to somebody who does these things they would have to live in a hole in the ground and hate everybody.
I think its wrong to pin point one group of people and pick on them. What about all the christian men that check out women that walk by?
Thats considered adultery of the mind.
All I guess Im trying to say is I really wish there was a more tolerant attitude because the things christians do are just as bad as the things people of other beliefs do.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Oh, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the thread in general. Half of the threads here devolve into bickering about homosexuality, abortion, or Christianity, and this one's just another glaring example. Nothing personal.

yeah. gotcha
youre right ya know. lol
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

80s thinks that because the Bible tells him that homosexuality is wrong and sinful, and he believes this, it can't possibly insulting to gay people for him to state his beliefs..
As I said before, I don't go around shouting it from the rooftops. In fact, I think that I rarely state that belief unless I'm asked. Sometimes I state my beliefs when I am accused of having an attitude I don't have, so that people will know what I do inded think on the subject.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

a Christian says "i believe homosexuality is wrong because the Bible tells me so" and he believes he is simply stating his beliefs, and he should be free to do so, and that this can't possibly be insulting because he doesn't hate anyone, and might even have gay friends, but he believes it to be wrong because he read it in the Bible, and for someone to take him to task on exactly *why* he believes this is tantamount to someone attacking him for his religious beliefs.
I don't get upset when someone asks me "why I believe it". I get upset when I am told that simply by believing it, I am fanning the flames of hatred against gays.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

how bout that billy graham?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I don't get upset when someone asks me "why I believe it". I get upset when I am told that simply by believing it, I am fanning the flames of hatred against gays.
That's because Christians generally can't keep their beliefs to themselves and start writing homophobic legislation based on "the Bible says homosexuality is a sin." This is what's going on in Ohio right now in their push to ban gay adoption. That's the reason this bill was created. No reason. No science.

Melon
Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
how bout that billy graham?
ummm, yeah. that's what I was gonna say.

Go Billy!

Old 06-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

As I said before, I don't go around shouting it from the rooftops. In fact, I think that I rarely state that belief unless I'm asked. Sometimes I state my beliefs when I am accused of having an attitude I don't have, so that people will know what I do inded think on the subject.

but why even hold that belief?

what if your eyes, ears, and heart told you differently?

do you trust yourself, or do you subjugate yourself in accordance with what the Bible says?

(a broad question, doesn't have to be about homosexuality).
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Im just going to say one more thing.
I do think its unfair to say that christians should keep their beliefs to themselves if they really do believe that something is "wrong"
it doesnt mean that anybody has to listen to them, but I think we should have the right to state what we believe. In a gentle way of course. No protest marches, or burning down of buildings.
Okay. Im done
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

but i would say that you are.

you are giving Bible-based support to a line of thought that is used to legislate discrimination, at best, and at worst become a means of justification for gay-bashing.

it's indirect, and you might not support anti-gay legislation (and i know you don't support gay bashing), but there is a clear link between these Christian "beliefs" and what goes on in Washington and Laramie, WY.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

but why even hold that belief?

what if your eyes, ears, and heart told you differently?

do you trust yourself, or do you subjugate yourself in accordance with what the Bible says?

(a broad question, doesn't have to be about homosexuality).
If I get into the specifics of why I hold that belief, it will start a big big argument, and I will probably be the only one on my side, or at least the only one who publicly states as such. I'm not really up for it right now.

As for trusting myself, my "personal" beliefs have never really been in conflict with my "biblical beliefs". In fact, my personal beliefs aren't a different entity from my biblical beliefs at all. My main deisre, and what I pray for, is that I will be tranformed into belief and action that is in accordance with Jesus Christ.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

but i would say that you are.

you are giving Bible-based support to a line of thought that is used to legislate discrimination, at best, and at worst become a means of justification for gay-bashing.
Have I ever used any Biblical verse to say that homosexuality is wrong? Nope, I don't beat people over the head with a Bible. I don't use anything at all to reinforce my belief. I jsut state it when asked.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quite bluntly, it's because most Christians are thumping heteros and hating homosexuals is no big deal to them. They can go to sleep next to their wife or mistress and what do they care? It doesn't affect them anyway, so there's no need to challenge their beliefs.

And, frankly, rather than challenging their beliefs or their organizational skills, homosexuals also fit a role as the perfect scapegoat. Then they can blame all the ills of the world on homosexuals, and all the thumping Christian heteros don't have to change any of their behavior at all! It's all the big bad homos' fault.

If we're going to talk about absolute truth, I think there's a special circle of hell reserved for those kind of Christians.

Melon