Bill O'Reilly On Letterman - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Letterman has 100 times the talent of O'Liely.
As a comedian, not as a political commentator.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 01:21 AM
Damn it I missed that show.

Does Bill have a degree in Political Science or International Affairs?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Letterman messed up in the end when he admitted he wasn't "smart enought to debate... ...point to point". I kind of expected better from him like a genuine argument or retort.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I found it frustrating. Letterman could have killed him, but didn't do his homework. O'Reilly deserves to be made to look like a complete arse in front of millions, not just a half arse,and it shouldn't be too difficult. Letterman is a smart guy, could have/should have done better.
Agreed.

Quote:
Yeah absolutely....I may think he's a divisive idiot with no conscience (and I do), but he's very talented at his job. O'Reilly that is

Quote:
O'Liely makes me ashamed to be Irish.
But O'Reilly's American!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I saw a clip of the exchange. The audience was cheering on both sides like a prize fight.

Not much credibility on Dave's part to attack O'Reilly's character without ever watching his show. Opinions based on someone else's talking points turns into empty insult tossing.

sounds like a good description of the O'Reilly Factor, minus all the merchandising.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

full transcript

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/b...reillycrap.htm

O'Reilly column from 2001

The late-night program hosted by David Letterman is the toughest interview show on television.

That's because Mr. Letterman is a smart guy who can spot a phony with telescopic accuracy and expects his guests to bring something to the table. If a guest begins to sink on this show, the bottom is a long way down.

A big part of doing well on the Letterman show is the audience. A guest not only has to win over the host, but also the people who are sitting a few yards away. It is not a tough crowd, most are happy to be seeing Dave in person, but they are listening. And you better have something to say.

Because of the success of my book, I was booked on the Letterman program. As I walked on stage to begin my segment, I knew what I was going to talk about. But I had no idea how an audience looking for entertainment would receive my thesis of rampant government corruption.

If you watch my television program "The O'Reilly Factor," you know that it is often an intense discussion of political and hot-button social issues. But there is no studio audience. The cheering or booing comes in the form of overnight television ratings.

Thank God, and I mean that literally, the audience seemed to be as fed up as I am with incident after incident of dubious behavior by our leaders in Washington. I was able to joke with Mr. Letterman about a very serious subject -- that the powerful in D.C. protect each other, and that government corruption is out of control. The audience seemed to be with me.

This is a change, I think. All during the Lewinsky scandal we had a deeply divided country. Half of us were outraged that a sitting president would diminish his office by having sex with an intern in the office and then boldly lie about it. The other half of Americans resented the intrusion into somebody's sex life no matter where the actual action took place, and were willing to excuse the president for lying about sex.

But now with these sleazy pardons and the general "forget you" attitude of the Clintons, a drastic mood shift seems to have occurred. The audience at the “Letterman Show” had to be all over the place as far as ideology is concerned. They were just everyday folks who got tickets that night. But I received some big applause when I zeroed in on the Clintons calling them "The Dukes of Hazard" among other pleasantries.

I also got applause when I criticized President Bush for failing to show concern over the pardoning of a major cocaine dealer and a fugitive. The crowd seemed to be just as annoyed with the "let's move on" philosophy as they are with the tawdry conduct of the Clintons.

I believe that finally fair-minded Americans who care about their country are coming to the realization that there is something very wrong in Washington, D.C. Some of the people to whom we are entrusting power are abusing that power, and our investigative agencies like the FBI are often MIA.

There is no way on this earth that the Marc Rich pardon should not be the subject of intense FBI scrutiny. When Denise Rich took the Fifth Amendment and Mr. Clinton's lawyer, David Kendall, refused a congressional request to hand over a list of donors to the Clinton Library Fund, all of our leaders in Washington should have hit the ceiling. If a fugitive living in Switzerland funneled money through his ex-wife into an account Bill Clinton has unlimited access to -- well, Houston, we have a problem.

But President Bush wants to "move on" and let the press ferret it all out. The press? The American media is now responsible for keeping politicians honest? Come on, Mr. President, many press people make the Clintons look like Mother Teresa.

Earth to Bush, it is the Justice Department's mandate to investigate public corruption. That's why we have a Justice Department -- to seek justice. OK? U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White is investigating the Marc Rich case, but who's investigating the cocaine dealer pardon in L.A.? Nobody, that's who. And why is the FBI on the sidelines?

President Bush and all of us should be demanding full disclosure about these pardons, and all the other dubious stuff like overseas campaign money, Chinese espionage, FBI spying and on and on. As I told David Letterman, we need to start holding our leaders accountable for what they do. The audience applauded. I've never heard a sweeter sound.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 06:21 AM
Quote:

No, as a political commentator also.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 06:21 AM
Quote:
I saw a clip of the exchange. The audience was cheering on both sides like a prize fight.

Not much credibility on Dave's part to attack O'Reilly's character without ever watching his show. Opinions based on someone else's talking points turns into empty insult tossing.
Agreed. If HAD ever watched Bill's show he'd have KNOWN that 100%, not 60% of what the hypocritical sexist says is total and utter crap.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #24
Refugee

Haha, you liberals are hillarious.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Haha, you liberals are hillarious.
Thank you for the compliment!

I'd much rather be funny than vicious piece of crap.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Thank you for the compliment!

I'd much rather be funny than vicious piece of crap.
Actually this thread is hillarious because it is full of a bunch of petty bitchers and moaners. Just my opinion though.

This segment was on the news today during my current events class(I'm a teacher), and my students came up with the conclusion that O'Reilly was lookign for a fight, but Letterman sounded like an idiot. The people in this thread talking like it is a fact that he "got his ass handed to him" need to realize that their viewpoint is not fact--- it is completely subjective and an opinion.

Is everyone that disagrees with your viewpoint vicious?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Im reading a Hitchens book right now "Letters to a Young Contrarian" and he does make the case for being vicious in defending your beliefs and dominating the conversation.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Actually this thread is hillarious because it is full of a bunch of petty bitchers and moaners. Just my opinion though.

This segment was on the news today during my current events class(I'm a teacher), and my students came up with the conclusion that O'Reilly was lookign for a fight, but Letterman sounded like an idiot. The people in this thread talking like it is a fact that he "got his ass handed to him" need to realize that their viewpoint is not fact--- it is completely subjective and an opinion.

Of course!

O'Reilly is just a mean, nasty, spiteful little man. The further away from him and his ilk I am, the better. So people who find him amusing, or even worse, agree with him, have little place in my life.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I agree with your student's assessment, I thought O'Reilly was himself, an arrogant jerk and Letterman is better served to stick to silly top ten lists and stupid pet tricks.

There was no 'ass-handing' to be done, it was just another political pop culture moment. It was entertaining and sort of funny.

It's not just "liberals" who are hilarious though.

The conservatives who buy O'Reilly's supposed objective BS, are just as hilarious.

He's as slanted as anyone else trying to make money on TV or radio with politics.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

O'Reilly spend another hour on his radio show bemoaning how he is being treated over this Letterman thing, playing and replaying the clips again. I noticed when he was playing the clip on the war against Christmas, he left in the part about the red and green napkins and cut the part on Silent Night. He went so far as to say the writer who reviewed the show in People Magazine (??? Didn't know it would get out that quick, so maybe I misheard the name of the magazine) should be fired because the writer only quoted Letterman. I've heard him in the past encourage audience boycotts or letter writing campaigns against various media sources that he felt treated him unfairly, Didn't hear Thursday's radio show, but that is at least 2 hours (Wednesday and Friday) that he devoted going over this Letterman thing. Vindicative, whiny little creature. I think the word is hubris. For me, this personal pettiness completely undercuts anything else he might have to say even if I do get a kick out of his show.