Bill O'Reilly for President.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of their newscasters reported a blurb about Bono meeting with Bush in Chicago, and she pronounced it "BONE-oh."

As if people needed another reason to roll their eyes at Fox News.

:wink:

It's funny, I used to watch Fox News to get information about what was going on in the states, and even in fact watched the O'Reilly factor on occasions. I still freak out that I may have been unconsciouslly subversed by his fanatical insane ramblings. I can't believe that guy even can have his own tv show. He seriously is the poster boy for all that is wrong with some people in the usa.

Harry Vest said:
The guy who posted this also believes Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman in the JFK assaination - he's totally entitled to his opinion...but really.
What's wrong with that explanation?

WOW!...I must say that I'm a little surprised at your responses.

I thought everyone was tired of corrupt, wasteful politicians who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them on the nose.

Bill O'Reilly would be a real breath of fresh air in American politics. A guy who raises the banner of honesty and morals. A guy who is a real patriot and who loves America - what could possibly be wrong with that?

AchtungBono said:
A guy who raises the banner of honesty and morals.

How did you type that with a straight face?

I really can't figure out if you're joking or what. :huh:

anitram said:

How did you type that with a straight face?

I really can't figure out if you're joking or what. :huh:

No, I'm not joking - I'm very serious.
The more I watch the "Factor" the more I'm convinced that HE should be running the country - if he ran for office in Israel I'd vote for him in a second!

I can't understand why you guys are against him.

AchtungBono said:
A guy who raises the banner of honesty and morals.

"Ashley was now wearing only brief white panties. She had signaled her desire by removing her shirt and skirt, and by leaning back on the couch. She closed her eyes, concentrating on nothing but Shannon's tongue and lips. He gently teased her by licking the areas around her most sensitive erogenous zone. Then he slipped her panties down her legs and, within seconds, his tongue was inside her, moving rapidly." - Bill O'Reilly, "Those Who Trespass" (1998)

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Tre...=pd_bbs_3/102-7744921-8697748?ie=UTF8&s=books

All the more fitting, considering how much O'Reilly bitches about all the sex and violence on TV today.

Melon

AchtungBono said:

Bill O'Reilly is a loud, overconfident blowhard, and just because he proclaims that he possesses the truth and insists that he has "no spin" doesn't mean that he is either. In fact, it feels like we're constantly eluding "the truth," because we've constantly got to deal with loudmouth poseurs like him.

I trust him to tell me "the truth" as much as I trust Jerry Springer to. Sure, they may have very different shows, on the surface, but both exist to titillate and entertain, not to inform.

Melon

AchtungBono said:

I thought everyone was tired of corrupt, wasteful politicians who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them on the nose.

Bill O'Reilly would be a real breath of fresh air in American politics. A guy who raises the banner of honesty and morals. A guy who is a real patriot and who loves America - what could possibly be wrong with that?

I think you need a new television.

Seriously.

melon said:

"Ashley was now wearing only brief white panties. She had signaled her desire by removing her shirt and skirt, and by leaning back on the couch. She closed her eyes, concentrating on nothing but Shannon's tongue and lips. He gently teased her by licking the areas around her most sensitive erogenous zone. Then he slipped her panties down her legs and, within seconds, his tongue was inside her, moving rapidly." - Bill O'Reilly, "Those Who Trespass" (1998)

Not to mention he writes really boring sex scenes.:rolleyes:

AchtungBono said:

I don't like him because he supports Bush. The Bush administration is corrupt. He doesn't "raise the banner of honesty and morals" to me.

Yesterday at the library I read this week's NY Times Best-Seller List for non-fiction:

7. U2 By U2 :heart:
6. Marley & Me (a wonderful book about "life and love with the world's worst dog"--a must-read for everyone)
5. I forgot :reject:
4. Saving Graces/Elizabeth Edwards (another wonderful book by a classy, warm-hearted woman whose husband should be VP now)
3. The Greatest Story Ever Sold/Frank Rich (the story behind the positive PR of the Bush regime)
2. New Bob Woodward (he doesn't like Dubya as much as he used to, gee, what took him so long to come to that assessment?)
AND THE #1 NON-FICTION BOOK IS:
Bill O'Reilly--Culture Warrior

Excuse me. I have to go barf now. :yuck:

AchtungBono said:

No, I'm not joking - I'm very serious.
The more I watch the "Factor" the more I'm convinced that HE should be running the country - if he ran for office in Israel I'd vote for him in a second!

Have you seen Outfoxed? It will offer you a new perspective on The OReilly Factor. I highly recommend it.

melon said:

Bill O'Reilly is a loud, overconfident blowhard, and just because he proclaims that he possesses the truth and insists that he has "no spin" doesn't mean that he is either. In fact, it feels like we're constantly eluding "the truth," because we've constantly got to deal with loudmouth poseurs like him.

I trust him to tell me "the truth" as much as I trust Jerry Springer to. Sure, they may have very different shows, on the surface, but both exist to titillate and entertain, not to inform.

Melon

That pretty much sums it up.

AB, I know O'Reilly can sound very honest and straightforward, particularly if he is supporting policies that you agree with. But someone being able to persuasively make an argument for a particularl political, diplomatic etc point of view and cap it with a snappy, muscular, "no-b.s" sheen does not mean that person is being honest and straightforward. You could have some "honest and straightforward" person who "honestly and openly" disagrees with Israel's actions in Lebanon, for example, and I suspect you wouldn't find such "honesty and integrity" quite so refreshing.

Don't be taken in by the smooth sales pitch and square-jawed charisma. It's TV. It's entertainment being sold as hard news, and O'Reilly is a buisnessman and an enterainer who uses politics and world events as his tools.

He's "like a preacher stealing hearts at a traveling show."

And it's all about the money.

maycocksean said:

That pretty much sums it up.

AB, I know O'Reilly can sound very honest and straightforward, particularly if he is supporting policies that you agree with. But someone being able to persuasively make an argument for a particularl political, diplomatic etc point of view and cap it with a snappy, muscular, "no-b.s" sheen does not mean that person is being honest and straightforward. You could have some "honest and straightforward" person who "honestly and openly" disagrees with Israel's actions in Lebanon, for example, and I suspect you wouldn't find such "honesty and integrity" quite so refreshing.

Don't be taken in by the smooth sales pitch and square-jawed charisma. It's TV. It's entertainment being sold as hard news, and O'Reilly is a buisnessman and an enterainer who uses politics and world events as his tools.

He's "like a preacher stealing hearts at a traveling show."

And it's all about the money.

Excellent post. Thank you!

redhotswami said:

Have you seen Outfoxed? It will offer you a new perspective on The OReilly Factor. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation - what is outfoxed? is it a parody show like the Colbert Report?

melon said:

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Tre...=pd_bbs_3/102-7744921-8697748?ie=UTF8&s=books

All the more fitting, considering how much O'Reilly bitches about all the sex and violence on TV today.

Melon

"Those who trespass" is a novel. EVERYONE writes sex scenes in novels and movies - why pick on him for that?

verte76 said:

I don't like him because he supports Bush. The Bush administration is corrupt. He doesn't "raise the banner of honesty and morals" to me.

If I understand correctly - if he had the exact same show and views but supported KERRY instead of BUSH - then you'd like him?

He's an independent and he's non-partisan - he goes after ANYONE regardless of their politics.

AchtungBono said:

He's an independent and he's non-partisan - he goes after ANYONE regardless of their politics.

I generally don't watch O'Reilly that much so perhaps I'm mistaken. But he seems to me to be pretty clearly partisan and definitely right leaning. Perhaps you could give me some examples of when he's gone after the Right?

I think your point about Kerry is well-taken (though it again reveals, perhaps unwittingly that O'Reilly is not in fact non-partisan, in that it would be unthinkable for him to support Kerry). The problem I have with O'Reilly and his ilk is he acts as if he's "non-partisan" and he doesn't "take sides" but funny how one side is always right (no pun intended).

I think their the left-leaning equivalents of O'Reilly are out there, your Al Frankens and your Colberts and your Jon Stewarts, but at least they don't pretend to be hard news like O'Reilly does. They're entertainers and don't pretend to be otherwise, which in fact makes it much easier for THEM to skewer both sides.

AchtungBono said:

Thanks for the recommendation - what is outfoxed? is it a parody show like the Colbert Report?

No, it's not a parody show. It's actually pretty serious. It is a documentary that focuses on Fox news media in general. There is quite a bit about O'Reilly in there.

I'm not trying to change your mind, or tell you that you are wrong. I'm just trying to offer you a new perspective.

let me know what you think! :up:

AchtungBono said:

If I understand correctly - if he had the exact same show and views but supported KERRY instead of BUSH - then you'd like him?

His political philosophy is like Bush's. There's no way he would have been a Kerry supporter. I'd never vote for the guy if he ran for public office.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but I really believe that AchtungBono's view—if he or she is being honest, of which I'm not yet convinced—is exactly why Bill O'Reilly is so scary.

Even if AB is pulling our legs, there are many good, honest people out there who don't see the manipulation and dishonesty. And if you don't see it, he can indeed come across as a fair and balanced broker for the people. He's EXTREMELY good at what he does. But what he does, more than anything else, is manipulate and mislead.

I watch or Tivo his show every single night. So, accept my apologies, I'm partially responsible for his success. But as a media professional, damned if I don't find his show captivating, and the whole O'Reilly phenomenon equally as fascinating as it is infuriating.

There's a pretty good thumbnail of O'Reilly on Wikipedia. A pretty accurate description of many of his positions, and much of it is cited from his books.

http://en. wikipedia .org/wiki/Bill_O'Reilly_(commentator)

AchtungBono said:

oh, but surely you can.

Since this thread is just begging for the token Nazi comparison, I saw some quote, can't remember what it was...something like "I'd love to be a manufacturer of brown shirts the day O'Reilly gets elected." And it's not a stretch at all. The way he shouts down his "opponents" is disgusting.

seriously you can have him. I'm getting angry again just thinking about him.
:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom