Bill Maher's Easter Rant - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 06:59 PM
Bill Maher's Easter Rant

I enjoyed this too much not to share.

This aired on "Real Time . . . ."

People who run everything can't complain that they're underdogs. To whit, this week, there was a highly-attended conference in Washington called “The War on Christians.” Because nothing quite says “I'm oppressed” like the opulent Regency Ballroom of the Omni Shoreham Hotel.
Ah, yes, whatever happened to that plucky little cult, Christianity? Oh, that's right, they're 80% of the American people, and have taken over all three branches of government, country music, public schools, the bestseller list, and until recently, Katie Holmes. You know, Christians, I don't mind that you're part of a dress-up cult that hates sex and worships magic—but the paranoia, that does scare me.
Did you know that the Missouri legislature recently felt the need to propose a resolution declaring Christianity Missouri's majority religion. No kidding. Really, you mean people aren't saying, “Gosh, I'd like to go to Missouri , but…too Jewish.”
In Savannah , recently, a children's book about a baby penguin who is raised by two male penguins – ahh!– was removed from the library for its homosexual overtones. Because you know penguins, in those tuxedos, with the dreamy eyes. Huge fags!
The Christian right are now officially the party of paranoia. Secularists are attacking Christmas! Gays are attacking marriage! Liberals are attacking values! White girls are being abducted at an alarming rate! You know, if you're going to be that paranoid all the time, just get high.
And the worst part is, the people bitching loudest about being persecuted for their Christianity aren't Christians at all. They're demagogues and conmen and scolds. And the only thing they worship is power. If you believe Jesus ever had a good word for war or torture or tax cuts for the rich, or raping the earth, or refusing water to dying migrants, then you might as well believe bunnies lay painted eggs.
And Jesus – and Jesus never said a word about gay marriage. He was much too busy hanging out with 12 guys. Now – now I know George Bush says Jesus Christ changed his heart. But believe me, Dick Cheney changed it back. The only thing Bush has in common with Jesus is they both went into their father's business and got crucified for it.
Thomas Jefferson called the type of Christian who trumpets his own belief in the divinity of Jesus rather than the morality of Jesus “pseudo-Christians.” And that's who's running our country today. And since they thrive so much on turning water into “whining”—and get off on their endless pretend persecution, this Easter season, let's give them what they want. Let's go to the zoo, get some lions, and feed them Tom DeLay.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Re: Bill Maher's Easter Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

And the worst part is, the people bitching loudest about being persecuted for their Christianity aren't Christians at all. They're demagogues and conmen and scolds. And the only thing they worship is power.
Yes, indeed.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:59 PM
I expected better.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
She's the One

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Re: Bill Maher's Easter Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

If you believe Jesus ever had a good word for war or torture or tax cuts for the rich, or raping the earth, or refusing water to dying migrants, then you might as well believe bunnies lay painted eggs.

This is my favorite part.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I like it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:59 AM
I wonder how Bill Maher gets the notion that 80% of the country are Christians and that we "control" everything? Being born in the US doesn't count as being a Christian.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
War Child

Thanks for posting that ...I love Bill Maher...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Damn. That was great.

I particularly liked: "Because nothing quite says “I'm oppressed” like the opulent Regency Ballroom of the Omni Shoreham Hotel."

Yes indeed.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:59 AM
:applause:

I try to catch the show whenever I can. After reading this, I think I actually caught the rant. This part especially sounds familiar:
Let's go to the zoo, get some lions, and feed them Tom DeLay.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 05:59 AM
lmao!

I liked that! Its refreshing to see that some people won't take the crap and will talk up about it.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
I can't stand Bill Maher but he does make some very good and valid points there.

"The only thing Bush has in common with Jesus is they both went into their father's business and got crucified for it." ~ that is a fantastic line
Old 04-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

As a Christian . . . I loved it!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I wonder how Bill Maher gets the notion that 80% of the country are Christians and that we "control" everything? Being born in the US doesn't count as being a Christian.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

and have taken over all three branches of government, country music, public schools, the bestseller list, and until recently, Katie Holmes.
Oh, poor Katie Holmes.
Good rant, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"Christians, I don't mind that you're part of a dress-up cult that hates sex and worships magic—but the paranoia, that does scare me. "

It's a shame you can't share a few pints with T.S. Eliot and C.S. Lewis and other friends.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #15
Refugee

T.S. Eliot seriously disliked America. C.S. Lewis would hardly have supported anything our president stands for.

NB, look at any recent poll; 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians. Now, if you don't buy that, then I'll leave you to determine the fate of their soul. I happen - not being God - to not know whether people really are what they claim to be.