Bill Maher: A Picture of Intolerance - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Bill Maher: A Picture of Intolerance

I apologize in advance if this is an old topic, but I just heard these comments for the first time this weekend.

From Bill Maher, on Larry King Live aired June 2, 2004

Quote:
You said something about you have to respect people's beliefs. I know that's what we always hear, we have to respect. I'm sorry, I don't. I don't respect religion. I don't respect superstitious thinking, which is what religion is. I don't respect childish thinking, which is what religion is.
Quote:
So I'm sorry, I don't respect people who believe in religion. I was religious when I was a kid. We all had dumb stuff drilled into our head. It doesn't mean when you get to be an adult you can't drill it out.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...02/lkl.00.html

Wow. Intolerant. Insensitive. Ignorant. Any other thoughts?

Old 10-18-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Oh well, there have been people who have posted same/similar stuff here as their own opinion.

Doesn't bother me really, I know what I believe and that's good enough for me I didn't have anything "drilled" into my head, and I've done my fair share of questioning.

I do think he's an a** though, and for reasons other than this. I think he thinks way too highly of himself and his opinions

Old 10-18-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:27 AM
while the comments are, as you say, intolerant and insensitive, bear in mind that he is a comedian who benefits from eliciting a shock value from people.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Refugee

I'm well aware of that, but it's still just hard to imagine someone of his stature and platform saying something like this.

And I just can't help but feel that if the words "religion" or "religious" would be replaced with the words "gays" or "homosexuality," Maher would have been burned at the stake a long time ago. This was CNN and Larry King Live, for goodness sake. It wasn't some backwoods preacher spewing hate from his pulpit.

I just feel that the cry for "tolerance" is limited to some in today's world, and not extended to others. Let's be honest and call intolerance what it really is.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Good point stammer

Bill Maher is a comedian?

Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476
I'm well aware of that, but it's still just hard to imagine someone of his stature and platform saying something like this.

And I just can't help but feel that if the words "religion" or "religious" would be replaced with the words "gays" or "homosexuality," Maher would have been burned at the stake a long time ago. This was CNN and Larry King Live, for goodness sake. It wasn't some backwoods preacher spewing hate from his pulpit.

I just feel that the cry for "tolerance" is limited to some in today's world, and not extended to others. Let's be honest and call intolerance what it really is.

Well his comment was aimed at probably, what, 90%(it's just a guess) of the worlds population the only ones that wouldn't have been offended were athiest. Yet no one really rose an eye brow

Secondly your analogy really doesn't work. Can you replace an overall non specific belief system with a person? I don't think so.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well his comment was aimed at probably, what, 90%(it's just a guess) of the worlds population the only ones that wouldn't have been offended were athiest. Yet no one really rose an eye brow
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but if I am correct in your intention, you're proving my point. Why is it okay to offend the majority, but not the minority? Why is it okay that Charles Barkley can say on PRIME TIME TELEVISION, "This is what I hate about white people" (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...ife_of_reilly/), but if another public figure says the N-word in private conversation, they're condemned? Why is this contradiction acceptable? Does our call for "tolerance" really mean anything if it's not equally applied to all people and all beliefs?

Quote:
Secondly your analogy really doesn't work. Can you replace an overall non specific belief system with a person? I don't think so.
Well, yes and no. Some would argue that sexual preference is a belief and not a person, just as others would say that religion is so deeply ingrained it's as personal as biological tendencies. I'm not going to give my opinion on either of these beliefs, but will admit that the analogy is not the best. It's been a long day, give me a break.

But my point is, why doesn't Bill Maher face the same consequences for his statements as others? Why is his bigotry tolerated while others are condemned? Does our society have a double standard, as long as there are "more of you than there are of them"?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 AM
A certain degree of political power is derived from the ability to label another as a bigot/racist/sexist etc. Sometimes the accusations are true, other times they are not. Usually the evidence is limited to a statement or choice of words.

We should identify bigotry/racism/sexism, but often the underlying issues are ignored.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah I didn't quite finish my thought I got sidetracked. I meant to say no one even raised an eyebrow, why, because he's just a guy on TV that says these things. No one cares, or at least they shouldn't. You honestly think he doesn't respect the majority of people on this planet that surround him? And if he does, I feel sorry for him for he probably doesn't have too many friends.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

He has many friends that are centerfolds and such

I guess what he said there was just his attempt to be "provocative"

He makes me but that's just my take on him
Old 10-18-2004, 01:15 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Well, he's got some views I don't have, to say the least. I don't let stuff like that get to me that badly, my own family thinks I'm nuts for converting to Catholicism. They don't say that sort of thing to my face, but I know they do not share my religious views. There are always going to be narrow-minded idiots and such out there. I can't let them get me down.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not sure one must respect other's belief's. Accept, yes, respect...not really.

There are many people I know who don't respect what I believe, but they accept it. And I do the same with them.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
I can say the same thing because Christianity is ignorant superstition that gets people killed, now if I were to hypotheticaly say the same things about Islam then I would be called an Islamophobic racist - ahhh the vagaries of political correctness.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I can say the same thing because Christianity is ignorant superstition that gets people killed, now if I were to hypotheticaly say the same things about Islam then I would be called an Islamophobic racist - ahhh the vagaries of political correctness.
No. You would be called an Islamophobic racist if you called all Muslims terrorists. I would suggest not mentioning any specific religion, but rather saying "Belief in myth as fact is ignorant superstition that gets people killed." (Now I'm gonna get jumped on too! )
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What a moron.

I can't stand people who talk like they've read the entire series but in reality they haven't read the first chapter of the first book.

This guy makes a living talking out of his ass. Sometimes it's amusing. Sometimes it's just pathetic.