Bill Clinton still makes my stomach turn - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:12 AM
other way around.

Giuliani did not want to go because he hates Clinton, but he claims he did not even know he would be there until that morning.

the whole thing is so stupid.

I am believing more and more that Presidents are hand-puppets.

Because of this I am blaming them for less and less...

Old 06-24-2003, 11:58 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:12 AM
melon: the president is only paid $250,000 a year. so it's "where did that extra $500,000 come from???"

ouizy: good on ya for blaming the presidents less. they are controlled so much by their cabinet members, which i think is perfectly illustrated with the relationship between rumsfeld and bush.

Old 06-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I believe in 2001 the salary of the President was increased to $390,000 or maybe it's an even $400,000 .
Old 06-24-2003, 01:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
melon: the president is only paid $250,000 a year. so it's "where did that extra $500,000 come from???"

They get a war bonus, don't they?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

re-election
Old 06-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ah here we go:

Quote:
Dear Yahoo!:
How much is the president of the United States paid?
Jack
Hemet, California

Dear Jack:
We knew the presidential salary had been $200,000 for a number of years -- a relatively paltry sum considering the state of executive compensation these days -- but we were unsure of the salary our current president is drawing. We seem to recall hearing something a few months ago about a raise for our country's commander in chief.
We searched on "presidential salary," and on the first page of search results we received several relevant web sites and one amusing anomaly.

According to a CNN article dated July 16, 1999, the House voted earlier that week to increase the next president's salary to $400,000, which means George W. Bush, our 43rd president, makes twice as much as his predecessor, President Clinton.

After a little more research, we found a table that should put to rest any doubts that our country's former presidents are struggling to make ends meet. The National Taxpayers Union provides a Presidential Pension Graph that shows estimated pension benefits of former presidents. Bill Clinton stands to collect $7.29 million, the most of any living ex-president, while Ronald Reagan's pension is just over $2.5 million.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't think people should accept/demand anything for a charity event. I guess I'm just too idealistic

I also heard that Clinton didn't want to attend because Giuliani was going to be there, because of some sort of bad blood between them. I can't remember the details of their "feud"...maybe someone else here knows..
You live in NY and you don't remember?

Rudy was running against Hillary for the US Senate.

He made all kinds of (personal) attacks on Hillary.

Then it came out that he was cheating on his wife, the mother of his children. His wife would not move out of the Mayor's mansion so he could move in with his mistress. So he moved into a flat with two gay men.

Well the 2000 campaign was about "restoring honor and dignity".
The GOP threw Rudy into the abyss. Got Lazio? to replace him, he loss.

Rudy was washed up in the GOP at that time. Much like Newt, or Livingstone in the GOP.

Then, 911 happened and like a phoenix he rose from the ashes.

I am going from memory and believe this is a reasonable recounting.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Didnt The Mayor Mister Rudy G solve the crime epedimic in Time Square during his tenure?
I remember reading this and how the public loved him.
And then he got Cancer of some sort.
And as far as infidelity on his part, that seems it would be a non-issue against Mrs Rodham-Clinton and make The Mayor to be more in vouge with New York's moral climate.

Atticus.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

You live in NY and you don't remember
No, I don't live in NY, but that sounds about right..

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...hakyfriendship
Old 06-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #25

Quote:
originally posted by Atticus Finch

I remember reading this and how the public loved him
No, New Yorkers didn't love him. I don't know by what you mean by "love", but it sounds to me that you meant that he was this beloved leader, and he wasn't, Giuliani was far from loved.

I can't say what all New Yorkers thought of him, but based on the atmosphere during his term, basically no one really cared about him, and some even found him rather annoying. Sure, he did a few things that people appreciated, like the low crime rates, but no one was in awe of him. After 9/11, definitely, the mood towards him changed since we needed him then. We needed any leader who's any ounce of strength would help us during then. Most New Yorkers did respect then, but I think that most were eager to see him go after eight years.

Quote:
...and make The Mayor to be more in vouge with New York's moral climate
Moral climate? Are you kidding?

Perle
Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
My two sisters lived in NYC the whole time Guiliani was mayor. They did not like him for most of his time in office. They did feel like he redeemed himself after 9/11, when they were looking for leadership like other New Yorkers. Considering what they think of the current NY mayor they might not mind having Rudy back.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:10 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 09:12 AM
The first year Giuliani was mayor, the murder-toll in NYC was 1,946. His last year in office, the murder-toll in NYC was 642 (these numbers according to his book). Stats like that are no accident. He cleaned up the city. He cleaned up Times Square. He cleaned up the city's homeless problem (although this past year's homeless numbers are supposedly the highest in 20 years.) And he cleaned up the Seaport.

Love him or hate him, I wish he was the mayor of NYC now.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:55 PM   #28

Yeah. I wonder if he would've handled the financial crisis better than Bloomberg.

Perle
Old 06-26-2003, 03:44 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I also heard that Clinton didn't want to attend because Giuliani was going to be there, because of some sort of bad blood between them. I can't remember the details of their "feud"...maybe someone else here knows..
This story was proven false. It was the New York Post trying to stir up trouble again, and that's no surprise, seeing how it's owned by Murdock's "fair and balanced" News Corporation.

I still like Pres. Clinton much, much better than the current inhabitant of the White House. And I'm a little bit tired of feeling like I should apologize for that fact. The man's moral character isn't what it should have been, true, but I believe those of us who aren't big corporate honchos were better off under him than the current regime.