Bill Clinton for Vice President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Bill Clinton
Few vice-presidential possibilities boast the accomplished resume -- or political baggage -- of former President Bill Clinton. Clinton studied at Georgetown, Yale and Oxford (as a Rhodes scholar) before returning to his home state of Arkansas. He taught at the University of Arkansas' law school for three years before, at 30, being elected the state's attorney general. Clinton later served six terms as Arkansas' governor (he won in 1978, lost a 1980 race, then was re-elected two years later), before defeating incumbent George H.W. Bush to become U.S. president, starting in January 1993. While federal law prohibits a person from seeking a third presidential term, the Constitution does not specify whether or not a former commander in chief can become vice president. [/Q]

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/president/candidates/vp.contenders/

Oh boy!:huh:

Hmm what other possibilities are there:
- GWB / George Bush Sr. (It could be like Sanford and Son in the white house with some of the richest men in the country - it can't fail)
- GWB / Ronald and Nancy Reagan (Matching Neoconservatives with the Reagans is a plan that cannot fail, we would see Star Wars in space without the crappy ground based prequals)
- John Kerry / Bill Clinton (It would give Kerrry an easy way to distract the public if things go awry)
- John Kerry / Jimmy Carter (Arguably the sanest choice of the lot)

Both GWB / George Bush Sr. and John Kerry / Jimmy Carter offer the advantage of having VP's who can actually run for second terms should anything happen to the president.

Last edited:
I think CNN may have it wrong:

[Q]Amendment XII

The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;--The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;--the person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President. The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States. [/Q]

No, he isn't. Since he isn't eligible to run for President, he may not be a Vice-President too.

Hillary may be. :evil:

If a governer sits out four years, he can run again. Not true with President? Please don't get me started on Hillary, I despise that b**** SO much I don't want to talk about it. No wonder Bill ran to Monica :silent:

I guess they did that after FDR got in four times. I'd be easy to get a dictator or King in there that way. Now we need to limit the congressmen, same farts usually serve for life.

I don't think Bill Clinton will be a VP. I don't know why CNN even brought it up.

Melon

The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;

And this did not apply to the current administration?

The whole thing is ridiculous. Kerry would never pick Bill Clinton as VP - or Hillary Clinton either, for that matter. He's not that stupid. It would be political suicide to do so.

Yes, let's bring the Clintons out to scare the horses again.

I don't even know why people talk about Hillary either. I admit no great knowledge of the Democratic Party or its workings, but I've never seriously heard anything to suggest Hillary Clinton will ever run for president (or get the nomination if she does).

In fact if memory serves me well, the Kennedys are about the only example of a family putting multiple members forward for national leadership in America (and alas Robert got shot too).

Eleanor Roosevelt perhaps, but she wasn't running for office.

Well, the Roosevelt's have to be included. You don't only have Franklin, but also Theodore (brothers, IIRC) who both were president.

Say what you want about Bill Clinton but the fact remains that he was one of the best presidents the United States ever had.

Actually, now that I think of it, he's the first "celebrity" president, isn't he?.....lol.

Bill Clinton was not a bad president but he certainly was not one of the best the US has ever had. In regards to being the first celebrity president in an age of mass media think again, its JFK.

I can't wait for his book :hyper: I hope to go to a signing too

Is anyone else going to read it?

When I think about all the Clinton negatives, compared to what we have now, I'd much prefer Bubba

A_Wanderer said:
I believe that FDR was Theodores fifth cousin.

Yes they were very distant cousins. Theodore, born in 1858, was old enough to be the father of FDR, born in 1882. I don't think they ever knew each other that well either. Eleanor was a cousin of FDR's as well as his wife. It happened in the European royal families all the time in those days, why not?

Other family members who have been President:

John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams

Benjamin Harrison was a nephew of William Henry Harrison (the guy who died after only a month in office)

Clinton can't run as veep since he can't run as president. I personally have felt, since 2000, that in 2004 the Democrats needed some sort of break with the Clinton Administration--even though I personally liked Clinton. No one is going to please all of the people all of the time. Life simply isn't like that.

U2Kitten said:
Please don't get me started on Hillary, I despise that b**** SO much I don't want to talk about it. No wonder Bill ran to Monica :silent:

Not to change the subject, but why do women (and men) hate her so passionately? This woman I work with even went so far as to say "someone should kill her" When I ask her why, she said anyone who would stay with that cheating husband of her's doesn't deserve to live. This makes no sense to me.

This thread amazes me since just yesterday I was talking to someone and wondering if a former Presidents could be a VP. And yes I plan to read his book while I'm on medical leave from knee replacement surgery nx month. That is if I can afford his 900 or so page book.

Hillary Clinton represents a complete detachment from the conservative "dominant hegemony." She is educated, has short hair, works, has an opinion of her own, and is not a trophy for her husband. This is the unconscious reasoning as to why people want to "kill her," because they want to kill the hegemonic shift that is currently and slowly happening in this nation.

Compare this to other recent first ladies like Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, or Laura Bush, where the only appearances they make are on their husband's shoulder or take on "harmless" causes, like anti-drug public relations or literacy. Now don't take this as a knock against Mrs. Reagan or the Bush wives; they are different first ladies and should not be compared to Hillary Clinton, who is now a senator! She was the most headstrong first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt, so it should be of no coincidence that both are latently referred to as "lesbians" by their detractors.

The patterns are pretty cut-and-dry.

Melon

Last edited:
Quote:
The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;

And this did not apply to the current administration?

i do not believe either Clinton will be on the 04 ticket.

Is it constitutional for Bill?

The first post in this thread states that the Pres. and VP not be from the same state.

Cheney was CEO of Haliburton based in Houston? Texas for several years when he accepted the VP nomination.

Bush/ Cheney entered the Whitehouse disrespecting the Constitution.

Bush and Cheney knew this too, so, as a media footnote with absolutely no fanfare or outrage, Cheney used a loophole to take residency in Wyoming in 2000. Now he was involved with the state in the past, but still...it was clearly a way to get past this problem.

Melon

neither clinton will accept a VP nod regardless of if it's legal for bill or not... they want kerry to lose so there's a clear path for hill hill in 2008, where we may finally see the new york senate race that never was... hillary vs. rudy.

alas... that's way too far off to even speculate on. i'll shut up now.

Back
Top Bottom