Bill Clinton as Secretary General U.N.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I think he would be great for the job :)sexywink:), he won't get it because he is American. The Secretary-General always comes from nations not on the Security Council...

...or maybe that has just been tradition? You have to understand that Clinton was incredibly popular with Europe when he was in office. You should have visited the UK following Dubya getting into office. Most of the people I talked with hated Bush, but couldn't say enough good things about Clinton. I also don't think this article is incredibly balanced. It forgets the fact that Clinton has appeared on "Larry King Live," and has agreed that a tough stance must be taken on Saddam. It has a very short, selective, and anti-Clinton memory.

Clinton's election, for sure, would send a message that they really hate Bush specifically, and not the U.S. as a nation. I would really giggle if Clinton got this position.

However, I wouldn't necessarily blast Clinton for doing this, and this might benefit the global economy as a whole. Clinton was always great at raising confidence--and "confidence" is what drives the stock market. It is no coincidence that, upon Clinton's election, the stock market started its prolonged rise to 12,000. If he says the right words as he said when he was U.S. President, he could do more for our economy than Bush could even with 1,000 cruise missiles. Perhaps U.N. Secretary-General is the position he is more suited for.

Melon

Last edited:
I recently took my class to the JFK Library in Boston. One room in the Library has a replica of the DESK that is in the oval office. Complete with the front sliding panel.

I have not been able to get that picture out of my mind.....

What does the desk at the UN look like?

If Hillary has her say, it will mean that the opportunities for internships at the UN will greatly decrease for females. The discrimination! :)

BTW, Fidel Castro occasionally rants at the UN stage. Clinton has then the opportunity to talk to him and exchange some knowledge about cigars...

C ya!

Marty (who hasn't read the article but does not know any reasons why Clinton cannot become Secretary General)

Didn't Clinton go sniffing around for someone to give him a talk show host job? I heard this crazy rumour that was so and no network would back him.
I guess if you can't be Springer, you try the UN next.

And I think Kofi Annan does a better job than Clinton ever could in the position of Secreatry General.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
And I think Kofi Annan does a better job than Clinton ever could in the position of Secreatry General.

Maybe, but Kofi Annan is also only appointed for a certain time. I guess that Clinton is maybe a good choice for Secretary General, but that does not mean that Annan is a bad SG. However, Annan will have to step down once, so it's good to discuss any alternatives.

C ya!

Marty

Exactly. We aren't talking about voting out Kofi Annan, nor is it a negative reflection of what he has accomplished. We're talking about what happens after he steps down.

Melon

Clinton could do a good job at this post, but he doesn't have a heck of alot of support for the position at this point. I'm afraid he has too many political enemies.

verte76 said:
Clinton could do a good job at this post, but he doesn't have a heck of alot of support for the position at this point. I'm afraid he has too many political enemies.

But I guess most of those political enemies are in the USA. Internationally he has a lot of respect and support. And ultimately, the international community will vote about the issue, not the US. Internationally they don't care that much whether or not he had an extra-marital affair, or did not go into the army. What counts is a willingness to listen to international problems, resolve conflicts with diplomacy and being able to guide the UN through the minefield called international politics.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

But I guess most of those political enemies are in the USA. Internationally he has a lot of respect and support. And ultimately, the international community will vote about the issue, not the US. Internationally they don't care that much whether or not he had an extra-marital affair, or did not go into the army. What counts is a willingness to listen to international problems, resolve conflicts with diplomacy and being able to guide the UN through the minefield called international politics.

C ya!

Marty

That's very true. He has alot of respect in other countries, and it's the *United Nations*, not the United States. Sure, why not?

verte76 said:

Does Clinton have more political enemies than any other Politician?

The U.S. and the other permanent members of the Security Council do not have a vote for the position for Secretary-General at the U.N. methinks, so it does not matter if the U.S. hates Clinton or not.

Melon

Popmartijn said:

Internationally they don't care that much whether or not he had an extra-marital affair, or did not go into the army.
C ya!

Marty

As a side note our esteemed Vice President received 9 deferments to keep him out of the military.

melon said:
Exactly. We aren't talking about voting out Kofi Annan, nor is it a negative reflection of what he has accomplished. We're talking about what happens after he steps down.

Melon

I?d prefer Bono, then.

No, seriously, if we are discussing an ex US president to be Sec Gen, we can also nominate a rockstar.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I?d prefer Bono, then.

No, seriously, if we are discussing an ex US president to be Sec Gen, we can also nominate a rockstar.

That's interesting. I have my doubts as to whether or not Bono would be interested in the job. I don't think so.

Hah, verte76 is a New Yorker!

Sure enough Bono wouldn?t be interested. Frank Zappa would?ve been, probably. But he is dead.

Back
Top Bottom