Bikini Waxes For Tweens - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Bikini Waxes For Tweens

I saw this on Good Morning America...

Quote:
The simple mother-daughter stress-reducing day at the spa — complete with perfect manicures and pedicures — has morphed into a full-fledged booming beauty business.
Giving young children a trip to the spa is a growing trend among parents.

Some spas now are giving their tween clients resort-type treatments and pint-size pampering. The offerings go beyond the typical painted nails.

Catering to a kid's every possible desire, some spas have stepped up their tween care by offering hair highlights, microdermabrasion and bikini waxes for girls as young as 11 and 12.

"I feel it's part of hygiene. When it's appropriate and they need to, they'll be doing it," said Kelly Burrus, mother of 11-year-old Bella Burrus.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecr...4881675&page=1

When I was eleven year old, there was always that one girl who acted too old for her age. But now, it seems common for young girls to be old for their ages. I think kids should be kids, not miniature adults. When I hear stories like this, it makes me dread having my own children.

Also, what are these parents thinking? My parents - old fashioned as they were - were always insistent that I stay my age. Why are so many parents out there allowing their young daughters to be overly concerned with their appearance before they should be? It boggles my mind

Old 05-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:42 AM
I think it's fine for little girls to go and have their nails done, hair done, even mini facials, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I think the microdermabrasion could even be harmful, as the skin is so much younger and hasn't even really had any exposure to harmful skincare yet. Hopefully.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Man things are so different now. My mom wouldnt even let me shave my legs until I was like 14
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

is this some sort of nation wide trend? or is this just a mildly sensationalistic story designed to get everyone upset about yet one more sign of the fall of western society?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, when you have young girls playing with Bratz dolls, or wearing miniskirts, and so on, tweens going to the spa for facials and waxings would've been next.

And even if it wasn't a huge trend, having a handful of parents doing this to their daughters still would be surprising and sad.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Man things are so different now. My mom wouldnt even let me shave my legs until I was like 14
I think I was twelve, for my birthday my mom gave me a lady bic and shaving cream and told me to "be careful!", lol
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
blm
New Yorker

I havne't heard about bikini waxes for that age, but they get nails and feet done, eyebrows and legs.

It is up to the parents to help keep a childs perspective in check. These are things that should be kept for when one is older, I think.
My 13 yr old shaves her legs because she is self conscious of the the dark hair. but waxing - NO. If she wants a professional manicure and pedicure, which she has never had, that is considered a treat, and she would pay with her money she has worked to earn. After all, these things are a luxury. and she would see how this isn't something that they are entitled to just because they want it. We do our own nails. I may go twice a year, for a special occassion only. but that's just me.
What happened to moms and daughters doing 'the spa' type thing at home together, special time together....
Old 05-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 01:42 AM
11 and 12 is far too young to even need to worry about bikini waxing.

At that age, what are they even waxing?

By 15 and 16 that's fine, but this is really getting ridiculous.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
is this some sort of nation wide trend? or is this just a mildly sensationalistic story designed to get everyone upset about yet one more sign of the fall of western society?

I think the issues highlighted by the Jonbenet Ramsay case (principally, that some upper middle class parents thought beauty pageants for 7 year old girls were a good idea) were a lot more disturbing, and that was over a decade ago.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
That's what I was thinking...the "evidence" for the story appears to be drawn entirely from two salon-spas in NYC and one in Chicago, which I'd bet serve a mostly wealthy clientele. While the very idea of "mother-daughter spa day" is a hoot to someone like me who grew up in the rural South in the '70s-'80s, I'm sure that even then, in places like Beverly Hills and whatnot, you had the rich and fabulous toting their little princesses along to the salon for a "makeover." If that's where Mom's regularly going to get her primping and preening done, then it's really not surprising that daughters who are interested in that stuff get introduced to that environment fairly young too. Other than the fact that it costs $$$ (but we're obviously talking folks with the $$$ to burn here), I don't see how this is all that different from mothers teaching their "tween" daughters to use face masks, hair curlers, manicure tools etc. at home, as many have been doing for decades. As far as waxing, while I'm personally of the opinion that body hair removal for women should be seen as wholly optional, if a girl's old enough to have body hair (and yes, some 11-12 year olds do have pubic hair), then I think she's old enough to decide whether or not to remove it, and again, if Mom's regularly going to a salon to have her own "needs" of that sort attended to and has the $$$ to blow, then I don't find it that surprising that some will offer their tweens that route too. You can let your daughter fuss over her nails for 40 minutes at home once a week, or you can take her to a salon for the same thing--other than the expenditure involved, I don't really see the difference in terms of how it affects her self-perception. Primping is primping.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

not to sound crude here, but at 11 years old, what the fuck are they waxing?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Exactly.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

That's what I was thinking...the "evidence" for the story appears to be drawn entirely from two salon-spas in NYC and one in Chicago, which I'd bet serve a mostly wealthy clientele. While the very idea of "mother-daughter spa day" is a hoot to someone like me who grew up in the rural South in the '70s-'80s, I'm sure that even then, in places like Beverly Hills and whatnot, you had the rich and fabulous toting their little princesses along to the salon for a "makeover." If that's where Mom's regularly going to get her primping and preening done, then it's really not surprising that daughters who are interested in that stuff get introduced to that environment fairly young too. Other than the fact that it costs $$$ (but we're obviously talking folks with the $$$ to burn here), I don't see how this is all that different from mothers teaching their "tween" daughters to use face masks, hair curlers, manicure tools etc. at home, as many have been doing for decades. As far as waxing, while I'm personally of the opinion that body hair removal for women should be seen as wholly optional, if a girl's old enough to have body hair (and yes, some 11-12 year olds do have pubic hair), then I think she's old enough to decide whether or not to remove it, and again, if Mom's regularly going to a salon to have her own "needs" of that sort attended to and has the $$$ to blow, then I don't find it that surprising that some will offer their tweens that route too. You can let your daughter fuss over her nails for 40 minutes at home once a week, or you can take her to a salon for the same thing--other than the expenditure involved, I don't really see the difference in terms of how it affects her self-perception. Primping is primping.
I agree with a lot of what you have said but I think its all about differing degrees of expecatation.

I am Mum to a gorgeous 12 year old girl who is 'young' in comparison to some of her contemporaries - she has done the nail and hair thing once or twice (always for a special occassions like her primary school graduation party or a family wedding), we've had our own mum & daughter nites at home where we do each others hair and she had a blast, but she doesn't expect it every week as do most of her friends & that's where I think the worry is . . . why can't some of these things be kept as rites of passage?
Okay, maybe I am just a lot more conservative than I ever dreamed I would be but to me it just screams of asking our kids to grow up too fast - there have to be some things left to look forward to don't there?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure it's just a tiny, tiny segment of society (the ultra-rich, ultra-trendy segment) that's doing this. But still, it's disturbing - not so much the pedicures and manicures - I had fun painting my own nails (not very succesfully) when I was that age. But why the hell does an 11-year-old need a bikini wax?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

This thread makes me

I went through a "girly" stage at 11/12. I spent every waking moment of free time at the mall, spent my babysitting money at the Icing, owned three dozen shades of nail polish... but I'm not sure that the thought of waxing or getting any sort of professional spa treatment ever crossed my mind or the minds of my friends. Like yolland said, I think it's more of a class/wealth thing than a fad among tweens in general. I'm 23 and can't afford routine spa treatments, hair coloring, or waxing even if I WANT it. OK maybe I *can* afford it but think it's so ridiculous compared to what I could be spending my money on (travel, retirement savings, fixing the car...).

As far as whether girls that age are old enough to have pubic hair... I've always been told that girls are pretty much mature two years after their first period. Looking back, this was at least true for me. I've grown only one half of an inch since I was 13 years old and now that I've been working out and eating better, I'm within 10 lbs of my "high school" weight. I knew girls that got their periods in fifth grade (age 9/10). So yes, some girls do have boobs, hips, and pubic hair by age 13.