Big Brother Watch... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Big Brother Watch...

Just thought I'd conduct a little poll.

Here in Albany, NY, our biggest mall, Crossgates, you know, the big enclosed mall (not a strip mall), has just implimented a curfewpolicy. Worse than curfew. They were passing out flyers today to people at the entrances.

Anybody under 18 HAs to be accompanied by a parent or guardian over 21, after 4 PM Fri and Sat (they close at 6 Sunday.) This isn't a "no kid under 18 to see an R-rated film" policy, this is the real deal. This is a HUGE mall. I wonder how they are going to enforce this?And why do they have it?

Just has me mad, and I'm not even a parent, let alone a high schooler. I can see there might have been problems with lazy parents dropping their kids off at the mal and forgetting them...and the potential for kidnappings is there too, BUT....I knowif I were a 17 yr old, I'd find it an insult that they wouldn't think I can take care of myself.

Think of it: you can drive at 16, but not go to the mall. And the Army has free acess to your high school, to recruit you, before you're in college..but you don't have the freedom to go to the mall alone.

Does anyone else have a similar policy implimented in thier popular public areas? One more way of silencing youth--who, these days, are treated in this country like #&$#.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

What is this going to accomplish? Fewer drug addicts? No. Fewer AIDS cases. No. They're kidding themselves if they think this is really going to solve any problems. People keep thinking they can solve difficult problems with simple solutions. It won't work.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
The Fly

well, they have done the same thing in some malls near me for very valid reasons. on friday and saturday nights, parents were dumping their kids at the mall for the evening like some sort of care center. of course these kids didnt have money to spend and were often bored. often they were rowdy and disruptive to the shoppers who were actually financially supporting the mall. over time, people who would actually spend money were driven off. stores closed. it was at the request of the vendors that these rules were passed in the malls i am aware of. nothing is absolute and many more kids behaved themselves than did not, but those who did not spoiled it for everyone else.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:08 PM
What's with parents that this is the best thing they can come up with for their kids to do? Here, son, go hang out at the mall for seven hours with nothing to do while I go have a life....
Old 06-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
This is the only way to stop parents from using the local mall as a day care center for their teen ager.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i know of at least one mall in buffalo that has the same type of rules. i think it's becoming pretty standard.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 AM
There may be legitimate reasons for introducing this rule, perhaps it is something to do with insurance?

What I find strange is the American drinking laws - you can go and fight/die for your country at 18 but you can't buy a beer. But that's a different issue.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

A mall with no children?

My idea of heaven, frankly.

It's the one thing I can't stand - screaming, unattended children and irritating teens who think the mall is their playground.

I'd pay premium to go to an adults-only mall.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

holy crap what else are those kids going to do? around here we'd probably all be lurking at the wal-mart
Old 06-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I do understand the problem with using the mall as a day care center. I have always detested shopping, so I've never hung out at the mall. I'd rather hang out at the library.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Only in America...
Old 06-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
Acrobat

In Queensland (Aus) there used to be a law in the 80's that said if you were in a group of 3 or more people you could be arrested...it was to stop protests and riots and troublemakers...pretty bad eh? police state..
Old 06-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 PM
I don't see the attraction of the mall. Do people not realize it is the fourth circle of hell? (Wal-Mart is the fifth!)
Old 06-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by aussiedge
In Queensland (Aus) there used to be a law in the 80's that said if you were in a group of 3 or more people you could be arrested...it was to stop protests and riots and troublemakers...pretty bad eh? police state..
If we'd had a law like that around here in the '80's I'd still be in the slammer. That's when I started going to protests.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by aussiedge
Are you serious? I know Queensland is fucked, but didn't realise it was ever that fucked.