Big brother,good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Censorship is wrong. It's using one person's, or a few peoples' values to decide what's right and wrong for a whole society.

Censorship in moderation to maintain decency. If there were no sickos on this planet, censorship would never be necessary.

Macfistowannabe said:
Censorship in moderation to maintain decency. If there were no sickos on this planet, censorship would never be necessary.

The problem here is how do you define "sicko" and "decency" and would everyone agree with you? Quite possibly not. Also, isn't the term "moderation" a bit ambiguous? What would "censorship in moderation" be?

Last edited:
verte76 said:
The problem here is how do you define "sicko" and "decency" and would everyone agree with you? Quite possibly not. Also, isn't the term "moderation" a bit ambiguous? What would "censorship in moderation" be?
I don't expect the majority of you here on FYM to agree with me, and with that said, maybe I should be a little more clear. I think we've pushed the envelope in such mediums as television as far as they need to be. If they were pushed further, we would be lowering our standards as a society out of desparation to entertain each other. Let me put it this way - moderation is what we have right now. We can say and do whatever we want, but there are times when we may want to alter ourselves, for example, when we are around kids or when we are around people who are likely to be offended. In my personal opinon I think that we've stressed out the sex to a point where we expect it in everything we see, and then we are told that another person's sex life is their business.

Macfistowannabe said:

BS Censorship in any form is dangerous.

And how can you say if there were no sicks censorship wouldn't be necessary. So everything you don't want to hear makes one a sicko? That's a pretty sick thought.

Macfistowannabe said:
I don't expect the majority of you here on FYM to agree with me, and with that said, maybe I should be a little more clear. I think we've pushed the envelope in such mediums as television as far as they need to be. If they were pushed further, we would be lowering our standards as a society out of desparation to entertain each other. Let me put it this way - moderation is what we have right now. We can say and do whatever we want, but there are times when we may want to alter ourselves, for example, when we are around kids or when we are around people who are likely to be offended. In my personal opinon I think that we've stressed out the sex to a point where we expect it in everything we see, and then we are told that another person's sex life is their business.

You are confusing standards on regular broadcast mediums with censorship. Two different things that can overlap but if kept separate works well with the public.

For some, any "standards" would be considered censorship.

In the alternative, can we not then consider any limitation for standards purposes "not censorship"?

BVS, you're putting way too much fecal matter between the lines. Why can't you just read the post and take it for what it is? I never said that anything I don't like is by sickos. Nice try, though.

nbcrusader said:

In the alternative, can we not then consider any limitation for standards purposes "not censorship"?

Well there is a lot of gray area and can be a slippery slope.

Macfistowannabe said:
BVS, you're putting way too much fecal matter between the lines. Why can't you just read the post and take it for what it is? I never said that anything I don't like is by sickos. Nice try, though.

Nice way with words.:|

You said censorship in moderation is good and that there would be no need for censorship if there weren't sickos. You also go on to say:
In my personal opinon I think that we've stressed out the sex to a point where we expect it in everything we see, and then we are told that another person's sex life is their business.

So by that definition anyone who had a different view of sex than you, you would like to see censored and therefore a sicko.

How did I misinterpret that?

nbcrusader said:

If the standards were "no nudes" then we'd have to leave out half the Renaissance. At least. Also my favorite Delacroix, "Liberty Leading the People", which is in the Louvre.

Last edited:
what about censorship on,say,an internet site like this one? Should moderators have the final say on what goes on in this site?Who makes them the moral referee?who monitors them?.....just a thought.....:|

Back
Top Bottom