"big attack" on "day of freedom"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
that's what has been leaking from al-quaeda lately. they also maintain that osama is still alive and that 98% of their leadership is still intact. i have several issues with this:

one: how do we know to take this seriously? the first one we clearly didn't understand, and now that we have the experience of it, we see so many threats come and go. now this one, so specific, do we take heed?

two: july 4th, i will be working at an intended target from the original attacks. i am sort of nervous to go to work that day. i'm seriously pondering calling in sick. i've never been "scared" by the other threats, but this one so

three: don't all of these press leaks just hurt the operations? where is the line drawn between what people need to know and what we need to keep silent for the potential success of the operation?

In answer to question 2...call me paranoid, but that's one place I don't intend to be on July 4. I think you should get the day off and come hang out on Lemon Meringue's poarch with us. :yes: No terrorist is going to want to break up that party...unless they have a serious problem with U2. :p

On a serious note, I have no idea what the proper balance is for media dissemination of information. If they don't say anything and something happens, they're in deep shite, but if they do say something and nothing happens, people start getting complacent. It seems like a catch-22.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my best guess is that Bin Laden is dead and the body has been hidden. Al quada is still active but barely. Al Quada most likely will not succeed in making another attack on the USA for a couple of years and only if they still exist in sufficient numbers at that time.

Remember, before 9/11, Al Quada only averaged 1 major attack on a USA target every 20 months. After 9/11, their operations have been severely disrupted and the rate of attack(20 months before) will only continue to decline. There has been no attack on the USA mainland(or at least any that have succeeded) since 9/11 which was 9 months ago.

uh, sting2, i think your being a bit too optimistic. but whatever, its not like you said you knew or implied you were just guessing, as am i.

lilly, i really hope nothing happens to you, and that you can enjoy your day.

we live in a time of uncertainty.

Of course this is just rough guess work, but think about it. Look at the rate Al quada was able to pull of attacks in the pre-9/11 era, 20 months between them on average. After 9/11, their ability to launch attacks has been severely damaged. We've had thousands of threats since 9/11, but still no attack, not even a single stone. We continue to catch people unlike before 9/11, but still no attack. How capable is an organization like Al quada when after 9 months they have made no response? But who knows.

Back
Top Bottom