Bible question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I am in really bad need of a refresher on Scripture! As I am Catholic I use the Catholic Bible. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's the best way to start?

verte76 said:
That's what I thought Lies. But I wanted to see what people thought.

haha, I've never read the Bible straight through before so that was my only vague suggestion. I should be taking suggestions from you! I enjoyed parts of the OT, but we were reading older versions (or rather, my Prof was reading Hebrew or something and reading it to us in English) and there were class lectures on it to help understand so I don't know how easy/worthwhile it would be to just read the stories over.

It's St. Jerome's Vulgate. Our version of the Old Testament is the Alexandrian canon. The Protestants use a different canon, the Jerusalem canon. But trust me, I am *not* an expert on this. In fact, I'm pretty klutzy on this stuff.

My aunt, who is Catholic, subscribes to a publication called God's Word Today. Every month it focuses on a different book of the Bible or a different theme, and it gives you an "assignment" to read each day, along with a little commentary. Supposedly, after subscribing for a few years or so, you'll have read the entire Bible at least once. Might be worth looking into.

verte76:
Maybe you should first ask yourself what i'm interested in and, especially with the New Testament, which style of writing do i prefer? (Typical (Greek) Chronological or stories not sorted by time but by subject-matter. Then it's easier to find out what to read next :)

If you still don't know - Maybee Matthew 5 could be a good choice

Last edited:
Well, I went to mass this afternoon and asked my priest. He told me to get in touch with a lovely nun who runs our adult education program, which is good advice because she's an excellent, excellent teacher. I'm crazy about her! I'm definitely going to do this! I think I would like to start with the Gospels, and I also love Psalms. You can pick a Psalm to fit just about any emotion, any concern, any whatever.

Thanks everyone! I've really learned alot just today and it's something that is really important to me. My faith is the most important thing in my life. It motivates everything I do, especially the African Well Fund and trying to stop the AIDS pandemic as well as fighting things I consider unjust like racism.

Maybe I'm some sort of nutcase, but I always just started at the beginning and read it right through. Doesn't anyone else do that?

Back
Top Bottom