Beware these so called "Christians"!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
It seems to me that it just keeps getting stranger and stranger out there in "Christian America" - maybe with the expose of these obsurdities and heresies God is trying to warn all who will listen that these are indeed the False Prophets spoken of in the scriptures. If indeed this is the case it is time for all who are concerned to begin to re-evaluate the whole "Born Again" movement, the church in general and what exactly Jesus wants from believers. From the insanity of Dominionist Tim Lahaye, the hatred and bigotry of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, the all- too close- to- the- nazi- rallies- of Ron Luce and his "Battle Cry" events and now this new video game sponsored in part by pastor Rick Warren's right hand man Mark Carver.
http//www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29195855/959
This would actually be funny if it wasn't so creepy.
It is time for those people who do believe in Jesus Christ to truly "Come out of her my people". American Christianity is madness and this as well as dozens of other examples proves it.
I know what I will do...Go into my closet and pray. And be on high alert of the madness which will surely come.

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:

It is time for those people who do believe in Jesus Christ to truly "Come out of her my people". American Christianity is madness and this as well as dozens of other examples proves it.

There are plenty or "normal", even liberal-minded Christians. It's just that doing good and helping others doesn't make the news anymore. My particular denomination's social justice organization is called the CRWRC and they do amazing work all over the world on a daily basis. Not "Christian work" liking hating gay people and squashing sex ed programs, but good work like being a founding partner of the ONE campaign and providing aid following health crisises and natural disasters. But, like I said, this doesn't make the news because people behaving in a compassionate, respectful manner is pretty boring.

For every shit-for-brains fundamentalist activist or church group you can throw out there, I'm sure I can find 10 examples of how my church alone is making progress in the world without excluding groups of people because of their biological make-up.

I don't care if for every one of them there are 10 of us.

It is our job to clean house first.

Just like I expect it to be the job of moderate Muslims to clean their house.

It is no longer enough to say "the good news doesn't get published" and "these are the fringes." When you have 'Christians' lining up behind a president to legislate bigotry, we no longer have the luxury of this kind of thinking.

Fight injustice everywhere, and it's time for those of us who call ourselves Christians to stand up and take a more proactive approach.

I live 4 hours from Jerry Falwell and 2 hours from Pat Robertson. I'm also a preachers kid, but my family are very open minded Christians. Don't paint all Christians with the same brush.

The tied is turning. I firmly believe a new Christianity is emergning through all the bull crap that's out there.

And get this -- it's doing so by getting back to the Bible.

Imagine that.

One less

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

DrTeeth said:
What's the difference between a Christian and a so-called Christian? :hmm:

IMO, CHRISTians actually behave in a Christ-like manner, helping those in need, treating everyone with equal love and respect. "So-called" Christians are self-righteous hypocrites.

DrTeeth said:
What's the difference between a Christian and a so-called Christian? :hmm:

We've never bothered to define the term "Christian" on this board, so I don't know how a comparison with "so-called Christian" would help.

nbcrusader said:

We've never bothered to define the term "Christian" on this board, so I don't know how a comparison with "so-called Christian" would help.

do you think such a definition is possible?

haven't people been slaughtering each other over this very definition for 2000 years?

Irvine511 said:

haven't people been slaughtering each other over this very definition for 2000 years?

Yes, a definition is simple and possible.

Slaughtering? An interesting way to summarize history. I think that just adds to the lack of understanding

Irvine511 said:

A definition of a Christian? To me, a Christian = someone who believes in God as Lord and Jesus Christ as Savior and acts in ways that emmulate and glorify Christ.

Maybe there's a better way to put it, but I believe a proper definition must define the action part, not just what someone believes/has faith in.

nbcrusader said:

Yes, a definition is simple and possible.

Slaughtering? An interesting way to summarize history. I think that just adds to the lack of understanding

would you like to tell that to, say, the Huguenots?

to name just one.

Une foi, un loi, un roi!

so it's not so simple is it.

see, this is why people have been killing each other over stuff like this for 2000 years.

Irvine511 said:
so it's not so simple is it.

see, this is why people have been killing each other over stuff like this for 2000 years.

It's very simple to define, it's very difficult to actually follow through.

AliEnvy said:

Assuming everyone agrees with your definition.

and this is the problem.

it's simple for some, not for other.

ultimately, whenever we work out a definition, the subtext becomes "i'm a better Christian than you are."

coemgen said:
The tied is turning. I firmly believe a new Christianity is emergning through all the bull crap that's out there.

And get this -- it's doing so by getting back to the Bible.

Imagine that.

I'm convinced your right--I remember the last time it got this bad (during the Reagan Administration) when the "Moral Majority" and suchlike were around--the extreme right wing conservative fundys actually got louder, more obnoxious, and worse as their power and influence waned.

The same thing is happening now...it's like deja vue:D They bring themselves down

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

A definition of a Christian? To me, a Christian = someone who believes in God as Lord and Jesus Christ as Savior and acts in ways that emmulate and glorify Christ.

Maybe there's a better way to put it, but I believe a proper definition must define the action part, not just what someone believes/has faith in.

I think you hit the two key elements:

a personal faith in Christ and evidence of that faith exhibited in life

It is not religion, tradition, etc.

Back
Top Bottom