Beware an angry China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The torch going through San Francisco today was a joke. I never supported the Iraq occupation or Bush, but one thing that Americans can do that the Chinese can't do is protest and call for Bush's impeachment without being sent to prison.

A thought: It's funny to me that the protests are about the Chinese government control of Tibet and not about how the Chinese government constantly smashes the freedom of it's own people.

the iron horse said:
A thought: It's funny to me that the protests are about the Chinese government control of Tibet and not about how the Chinese government constantly smashes the freedom of it's own people.

Good point.

the whole torch thing and then the opening day ceremonies....:down:

I'd feel sorry for all the athletes that have trained all their lives for this opportunity, but some how I can't see them going through with the whole united olympic tradition when China is doing so many things wrong from Darfur to Tibet to within its own country.

O.K. but don't you think the timing is a bit suspicious...I mean China has been hassling Tibet for decades and only in the last few weeks has this become an Olympic "issue". Where have all these protesters been all these years??? And what about all the athletes from all the countries - why not let them have a go at China. Better we challenge them in track and field, gymnastics, etc than WAR.

Protests have been going on for years and no one's been paying attention, now China is hosting the Olympics, guess what? They turned the cameras on themselves... For the most part the world turns a blind eye on China, why? $$$

I heard today a bad batch of the antil clotting drug Heparin that killed several people was traced to- you guessed it- China. When will companies stop sending business to them? I can't even count the reasons the China is evil.

the iron horse said:

Even protest movements have fads and fashions. Nobody wants to protest something "boring."

Butterscotch said:
I heard today a bad batch of the antil clotting drug Heparin that killed several people was traced to- you guessed it- China. When will companies stop sending business to them? I can't even count the reasons the China is evil.

Painting countries in the black and white binary of "good" and "evil" is a very slippery slope, be careful.

I don't like neo-hippies that will protest anything. I prefer to take constructive action for change.
I read today that things from China are going to cost more in the U.S., because the Chinese are demanding more money for the goods that they make. Plus a new law in China that started this year is where companies that do business in China have to negotiate and deal with the Communist Party's Labor Union. Companies in China can't lay off people without permission from the Chinese Communist government's labor union and have to pay all employees higher wages, health care, annual and sick leave. How ironic that these companies moved their jobs to China to escape paying Americans better wages and now they are forced by Chinese law to deal with the Communist Party's labor union.
Does the trade agreement with Colombia mean that America will get cheaper and more drugs?

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:
Paying attention to what???
The late 80's early 90's yes.
But the protests of late just started weeks ago - did they not???

No they did not. China becoming the host of the Olympics just shines the spotlight on the problems.
I've been writing my President - Senators and Representatives and letters to the editor concerning their votes/attitudes towards China for the last several years. The Save Darfur campaign and China's human rights violations period.
The Tibet issue has been an on going battle way before you've noticed apparently.

watergate said:

I read today that things from China are going to cost more in the U.S., because the Chinese are demanding more money for the goods that they make.

Oh Boo Hoo -
Like I just HAVE! to have something from China..
I am well aware of the sheer amount of trash they export and I don't need any of it.
It is difficult to get around buying any products from China, but it can be controlled if one read's labels fairly well.

and neo-hippies. Please! The Neo-Cons invented that one.

Back
Top Bottom