Better Crowd Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not unusual during the Haj. It rarely attracts much attention from the West and there is never outrage over the loss of life.

This happens every freakin year! Why should anyone care? If 350 people got trampled at the Super Bowl every year I wouldn't care either. Either use some crowd control to stop it or accept the risk. :|

Abomb-baby said:
This happens every freakin year! Why should anyone care? If 350 people got trampled at the Super Bowl every year I wouldn't care either. Either use some crowd control to stop it or accept the risk. :|

Tell that to these 350 families and see what kind of reaction you get.

:tsk:

I was surprised to see that this a fairly routine occurence over there. You'd think they would try to control things a little bit better, but it still is really sad.

DaveC said:

Tell that to these 350 families and see what kind of reaction you get.

:tsk:

I don't care what kind of a reaction I get. Anyone stupid enough to be caught up in that swarm of people takes their life in their own hands. And I wouldn't feel ANY different if it were 350 christians, buddhists or Atheists.:|

Abomb-baby said:

I don't care what kind of a reaction I get. Anyone stupid enough to be caught up in that swarm of people takes their life in their own hands. And I wouldn't feel ANY different if it were 350 christians, buddhists or Atheists.:|

I don't know if I'd say it so harshly, but I kind of agree. Personally, I'd NEVER put myself in that type of situation where a stampeed is pretty much guaranteed. I'm even afraid to go to huge outdoor concerts or wild soccer/football matches.

Abomb-baby said:

Anyone stupid enough to be caught up in that swarm of people . . .

Are you aware that this "stupidity" (as you so eloquently put it) is one of the commandments of Islam? And that these are normal folks like you and I just trying to follow the requirements of their religion?

Take a second to learn a little something about what you're talking about before you come off so careless next time. :tsk:

DaveC said:

Are you aware that this "stupidity" (as you so eloquently put it) is one of the commandments of Islam? And that these are normal folks like you and I just trying to follow the requirements of their religion?

Take a second to learn a little something about what you're talking about before you come off so careless next time. :tsk:

Actually, you can satisfy this requirement by proxy - paying someone else to make the trip before you.

DaveC said:

I'm QUITE aware of the requirement as an Muslim to make the TREK... But thank you soooo very much for your trying to enlighten me with your obvious greater intellect and higher understanding of the islamic faith....:|

According to MSNBC, about 50 people died in Saudi Arabia during the annual ritual of throwing stones at the devil. Apparently a stampede broke out when somebody tripped on luggage. That sounds like a poorly conceived punch line, but it actually happened. And it isn’t the first time. In 1990, 1,426 people died in a stampede while throwing stones at the very same devil. (No word as to whether luggage was involved.) And in 2004, the devil killed another 244 stone-throwers the same way. By my count, the score is Devil 1,720 and Believers 0.

This is on the same day that the guy who shot John Paul II was freed. Clearly, the devil is having a good day.

I think it’s interesting that when you pray to God for a new bike, it hardly ever materializes in your bedroom within seconds. But when you throw stones at the devil, quite often you get an immediate response. That’s an example of good customer service.
The Dilbert Blog

The lol smilie is bad taste, but we would be laughing on the inside, anti-theism has advantages over philotheism.

Back
Top Bottom