best article I've read on on aids in a long time - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2002, 07:45 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 04:31 PM

Well ofcourse they do, because you've told them so.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 12-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

one mistake?:

No matter what Republicans do I dont ever think it will be enough for some.
We will always be labeled as selfish bastards because our methods of addressing problems are not the same as Democrats, long story short..

DB9
And substance? What is the "Republican" method of addressing AIDS in poor countries? What are Republicans offering besides the usual call for personal responsibility? The situation is a little beyond that, unfortunately.

This shouldn't be a partisan issue. We need to take all the ideas we can get. If O'Neil thinks it's building wells, great, let's do that. If Bono says it's debt relief and free trade, yes. If Clinton says it's treatment, that too.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:07 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

And substance? What is the "Republican" method of addressing AIDS in poor countries? What are Republicans offering besides the usual call for personal responsibility? The situation is a little beyond that, unfortunately.

This shouldn't be a partisan issue. We need to take all the ideas we can get. If O'Neil thinks it's building wells, great, let's do that. If Bono says it's debt relief and free trade, yes. If Clinton says it's treatment, that too.

I have to say I completely agree with this.

The republican party has been VERy dissapointing on this issue. And Bush's tacit dismissal of O neil shows his unwillingness to deal with this in any constructive way.

The biggest turn off towards republican admnistrations to me is there complete idiocy on foreign policy. Last thing I need are a bunch of rednecks the likes trent lott, strom thurman, and jesse helms representing me to the rest of the world. You can say what you want about clinton...but he had agood feel for the world scene and the perception of america around the world.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:37 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Normal

yes.
Yes.
Clinton was an astute poll reader..crafting each policy after reading each poll that was taken..

Now if he woulda wrote an article on "how to lead a country based on polls"...many would be sold..

DB9
Old 12-12-2002, 10:57 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V

The republican party has been VERy dissapointing on this issue. And Bush's tacit dismissal of O neil shows his unwillingness to deal with this in any constructive way.

Well Arun, you better get with Bono because he said even upon hearing of O Niell's dismisal that he thought this adminstration was STILL very committed to DATA/AIDS relief..
Perhaps you can tell Bono on what to think and say?

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps if our economy was even sounder that we could donate even more money to this cause, surpassing the record amount Pres. Bush already donated, which would be a "constructive" move..?

The 3 old bastards you mentioned dont represent the Republican Party as a whole.
You know it, I know it.
That was a cheap shot.

Diamond
Old 12-13-2002, 02:21 AM   #36
Refugee

Quote:

Well Arun, you better get with Bono because he said even upon hearing of O Niell's dismisal that he thought this adminstration was STILL very committed to DATA/AIDS relief..

Look we are all here because we love U2.

But really Bono would say anything to get money for AIDS. Do you think he is gonna say: "Well the admin is giving up on AIDS and Bush isnt gonna gove us the money"

AH NOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 07:30 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

Look we are all here because we love U2.

But really Bono would say anything to get money for AIDS. Do you think he is gonna say: "Well the admin is giving up on AIDS and Bush isnt gonna gove us the money"

AH NOOOOOOO!!!!
Well Im not saying Bono loves Bush.

I will say that Bono sincerely likes Bush and respects him.

Bono continues to say favorable things in the press about Bush, not simple, generic statements either.
Things like-
" I know Pres Bush genuinely cares about AIDS/Africa relief."
and
" Pres Bush is going to Africa in January because he sincerely cares on what the world's view is of the USA"..

You see if Bono were paying lip service his responses would be more generic w less detail..

Now Edge clearly does NOT like GW.

Diamond
Old 12-13-2002, 07:40 AM   #38
Refugee

Quote:

Well Im not saying Bono loves Bush.

I will say that Bono sincerely likes Bush and respects him.

Bono continues to say favorable things in the press about Bush, not simple, generic statements either.
Things like-
" I know Pres Bush genuinely cares about AIDS/Africa relief."
and
" Pres Bush is going to Africa in January because he sincerely cares on what the world's view is of the USA"..

You see if Bono were paying lip service his responses would be more generic w less detail..

Now Edge clearly does NOT like GW.

Diamond
Bush is going to africa because he needs to doa few things...most notably get more oil out of nigeria.

if bush sincerely cared about the world view of teh USA..he'd try to get the peace process int eh mid east on track...would have already made averbal commitment to teh american people to fight aids ....and.......exiled annna nicole smith.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:48 AM   #39
Refugee

Quote:

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps if our economy was even sounder that we could donate even more money to this cause, surpassing the record amount Pres. Bush already donated, which would be a "constructive" move..?

The 3 old bastards you mentioned dont represent the Republican Party as a whole.
You know it, I know it.
That was a cheap shot.

Diamond

Diamond teh soundness of teh economy isn't an issue in terms of aids in africa. We already give 15 billion dollars in military aid to israel and god knows how much to the saudis.

what I'm saying is..the money is there if we spend a little smarter. even if the economy is bad

Bonoman is right....bono needs to be a politician if he wants to get what he wants out of bush. Notice that the administration has SAID NOTHING about remaining commited to aids relief despite the departure of o neil.

As for a cheap Shot???

you tell me trent lott doesn't represent the republican party as a whole???

isn't that implied by the term MAJORITY LEADER???
Old 12-13-2002, 08:04 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:

what I'm saying is..the money is there if we spend a little smarter. even if the economy is bad

Bonoman is right....bono needs to be a politician if he wants to get what he wants out of bush. Notice that the administration has SAID NOTHING about remaining commited to aids relief despite the departure of o neil.

As for a cheap Shot???

decent point, but when the economy is good America historically has been more generous.
Not necessarily right, but a fact regardless who is President.

You told me you havnt seen the CSPAN interviews that I have re Bono saying nice sincere things about Bush.
Until then plez refrain from claiming to know of Bono's true feelings of Bush's. Cuz u dont.

GW will be visiting Africa this Jan keeping his promise he made earlier, Bono said.
The difference between this administration and the last is-
-one says, toots his horn, then does what he says he was going to do..
-the other just does.
Bush doesnt toot his horn like Clinton.

Trent owns a title only..He is only a figurehead.
For how much longer, his days seemed numbered..
Bush condemned him yesterday.
Yes, it was a cheap shot.
You know it, I know it.

DB9
Old 12-13-2002, 09:56 AM   #41
Refugee

Quote:

decent point, but when the economy is good America historically has been more generous.
Not necessarily right, but a fact regardless who is President.

You told me you havnt seen the CSPAN interviews that I have re Bono saying nice sincere things about Bush.
Until then plez refrain from claiming to know of Bono's true feelings of Bush's. Cuz u dont.

GW will be visiting Africa this Jan keeping his promise he made earlier, Bono said.
The difference between this administration and the last is-
-one says, toots his horn, then does what he says he was going to do..
-the other just does.
Bush doesnt toot his horn like Clinton.

Trent owns a title only..He is only a figurehead.
For how much longer, his days seemed numbered..
Bush condemned him yesterday.
Yes, it was a cheap shot.
You know it, I know it.

DB9

I'm claiming to know bono's intent!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?

I just said he has to be a bpolitician in this matter

your the one whose saying bono was sincere...whose predicting intent!!?!??!?!

LMAO..diamond....you need to come up with one way to attack an argumetn and make sure that your not committing that mistake yourself.

Diamond...on this forum...if you say anythign against the republican leadership..it's a cheap shot to you. He's repbulibcan leadership..figurehead or not..that's his title. Deal with it if you dont' like him...just say you dont' like him but you think there are other examples of conservatism that are better examples than trent lott....dont' call it a cheap shot.

Diamond...if you want a cheap shot....hows this

Strom THurman...is UNSEXY!!!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:

1-I'm claiming to know bono's intent!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?

2-I just said he has to be a bpolitician in this matter

3-your the one whose saying bono was sincere...whose 5-predicting intent!!?!??!?!

4-LMAO..diamond....you need to come up with one way to attack an argumetn and make sure that your not committing that mistake yourself.

5-Diamond...on this forum...if you say anythign against the republican leadership..it's a cheap shot to you. He's repbulibcan leadership..figurehead or not..that's his title. Deal with it if you dont' like him...just say you dont' like him but you think there are other examples of conservatism that are better examples than trent lott....dont' call it a cheap shot.

6-Diamond...if you want a cheap shot....hows this

Strom THurman...is UNSEXY!!!!!
#1-yes. based on what u said.

#2- I disagree based on repeated press releases and live interviews that Ive seen and you have not.

#3-Iam- based on what I witnessed.

#4-try not to.

#5-already said I don t care for him, based on his policies/statements..Guy rubs me wrong. I did say there are better examples of conservatiism than this person, that's why we both know it was a cheap-shot..

#6agreed..esp his racist views..altho he was airborne on D-Day in Normandy..that was sexy back in the day.

thank u-
Diamond
Old 12-13-2002, 05:26 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:

yeh, Bono is thinking positively here.

This is what I learned in a letter from Barbara Lee:

"Despite the obvious implications of delaying increased funding, the administration has yet to display the sense of urgency that this situation demands. Along with many of my colleagues, I worked hard to include a provision in the FY 2002 Supplemental Appropriations bill that would add an extra $200 million for HIV/AIDS funding, $100 million of which would have gone toward the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. Sadly, the President refused to allow the disbursement of this money, along with other funds."

This trip to Africa in January should be interesting...
Old 12-13-2002, 07:48 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

yeh, Bono is thinking positively here.

This is what I learned in a letter from Barbara Lee:

"Despite the obvious implications of delaying increased funding, the administration has yet to display the sense of urgency that this situation demands. Along with many of my colleagues, I worked hard to include a provision in the FY 2002 Supplemental Appropriations bill that would add an extra $200 million for HIV/AIDS funding, $100 million of which would have gone toward the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. Sadly, the President refused to allow the disbursement of this money, along with other funds."

This trip to Africa in January should be interesting...

Diamond...you can't predict sincerity....period I don't care how many interviews you've seen I don't care if you did the interviews yourself

If I cannot JUDGE insincerity based on what I've seen...then you have 0.0000000 percent grounds to tell me you can predict sincerity.

ahhh yes....it hurts to be right

Diamond..could you give me some examples of good republicans?
Because I guess every democrat is the spawn of satan..so I guess I better switch parties.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:

Let's not forget good old majority whip, Tom DeLay. Boy, if the Republican Party was attempting to look "diverse" and "moderate," they certainly failed with their ultraconservative leadership in Lott and DeLay.

Melon