Belarus: Dictator wins, people lose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Yes, he has dictatorial behavior, but Belarus' economy has improved under his rule. As such, there are some international observers who believe that he would probably win even under completely non-fraudulent circumstances.

I find it interesting, though, that the world completely ignores a blatantly Stalinist dictatorship that's on par with North Korea in terms of personality cults: Turkmenistan.

Melon

Yes, that's correct, no one seems to give a damn about Turkmenistan. I'm glad the economy of Belarus is improving. That's one thing the American media, at any rate, seems to be ignoring. I wonder why?

Early surveys of voters exiting the polling stations predicted that Mr. Lukashenko had 82.2 percent of the vote, and election officials expressed certainty that the incumbent, often denounced as Europe's last dictator, would win with ease. The protesters dismissed the official statements as a clumsily orchestrated sham.

Well, 17.8% of the people know they lost.

melon is right in that the country has steadily improved internally, and has abstained from religious, racial, or any other "ma7or" conflicts (aside from partisan infighting, of course).

but the country is still a shit-hole internationally because lukashenko has done everything in his power to reform the country into a soviet style nation.

they have the kgb for shit sakes. the KGB.

and no truly democratic party system, has ever witnessed a party receiving over EIGHTY per cent of the popular vote. that's absurd, noone believes that to be accurate.

Zoomerang96 said:

and no truly democratic party system, has ever witnessed a party receiving over EIGHTY per cent of the popular vote. that's absurd, noone believes that to be accurate.

well, apparently i wasn't entirely accurate (for the first time ever).

kyrgyzstan elected someone last year with 89 per cent of the vote. though they don't exactly have much of a "true" democracy either...

that's crazy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4150084.stm

Se7en said:
new europe is a treasured ally in the war on terror, guys.

Yeah, wanna know why Uzbekistan is a U.S. ally? They've got a Soviet-style one-party state. They are "with us" on the War on Terror.

Zoomerang96 said:
melon is right in that the country has steadily improved internally, and has abstained from religious, racial, or any other "ma7or" conflicts (aside from partisan infighting, of course).

but the country is still a shit-hole internationally because lukashenko has done everything in his power to reform the country into a soviet style nation.

they have the kgb for shit sakes. the KGB.

Yep, I'm aware of that. That's what I was getting at in my thread title.

nice to see lukashenko take a strong stand, and wipe out the islamofascists off the map! those protesters were CLEARLY out of line for gathering together in a public place.

why is it so hard to believe that he won fair and square??

vive le lukashenko!

Zoomerang96 said:
nice to see lukashenko take a strong stand, and wipe out the islamofascists off the map! those protesters were CLEARLY out of line for gathering together in a public place.

why is it so hard to believe that he won fair and square??

vive le lukashenko!

They don't want to believe it because they invested their hearts and souls into being the opposition.

Here's the latest on this story.
EU refuses to recognize Lukashenko as Belarusian president
Friday, April 7, 2006

In a strongly worded resolution, EU lawmakers also slam Russian President Putin and the Russian parliament for responding positively to Lukashenko's re-election in the March 19 presidential vote

STRASBOURG - The Associated Press

The European Parliament urged EU governments on Thursday not to recognize Alexander Lukashenko as Belarusian president and called for travel bans on representatives of local, regional and national authorities involved in human rights violations in the ex-Soviet republic.
Stepping up pressure on the EU member states before they are to decide on measures against Lukashenko's regime next week, the Parliament called for sanctions and the freezing of foreign assets belonging to Lukashenko and his advisers.

In a strongly worded resolution, EU lawmakers also slammed Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian parliament for responding positively to Lukashenko's re-election in the March 19 presidential vote.

"The effectiveness of EU policies towards Belarus is undermined by the irresponsible attitude of the Moscow authorities, who are lending decisive support to the last dictatorship in Europe," said the nonbinding resolution, which is used as a form of political pressure on EU governments before an April 10-11 foreign ministers meeting in Luxembourg, where Belarus will be discussed.

Lukashenko, who has earned the reputation of Europe's last dictator, won 83 percent of the vote and a third consecutive term in last month's elections, declared by the EU and the United States undemocratic and fraudulent. Opposition leader Alexander Milinkevich, won 6.1 percent of the vote.

Belarus' Foreign Ministry dismissed Western criticism the elections as "laughable" and said it would be ignored.

"The European parliament is making laughable calls on (deeming) the elections illegitimate. The choice of the Belarusian people does not need to be accepted or rejected from the outside," Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrei Popov told reporters.

Milinkevich, attending this week's plenary session of the European Parliament as a guest, was forced to check into the assembly's medical room Thursday after suffering from fatigue following months of nonstop campaigning and traveling.

"Nothing happened. I was tired. They asked me to rest, something I haven't done in months," Milinkevich told the Associated Press after emerging from the medical room. He said he would not alter his schedule for the rest of the week, which includes a visit to Berlin.

The EU is set to impose a travel ban on Lukashenko and several dozen Belarusian officials next week. Details of the measures are still being finalized. Milinkevich has called for hundreds of officials to be put on the visa blacklist.

"Lukashenko cannot be recognized as the legitimate President of Belarus... The presidential elections should be repeated in compliance with international democratic standards," said the parliamentary resolution.

It also criticized the EU executive commission for what it called "inadequate support" of Belarusian civil society in the run-up to the elections.

Back
Top Bottom