Being Safe Out There - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Being Safe Out There

Everytime another senesless murder occurs I always hear some
people say, "I never dreamed it would happen here. I thought I was safe."

Where does this idea come from that we can feel safe anywhere on this planet?

I don't feel safe anywhere.

And I do not live in fear.

I had a very good day at work today and, at present, a very nice evening.

I learned at a very young age that this world is a dangerous place and you better keep your eyes open.

My father was a Baptist minister who often worked at Street Missions(he would take me along as a kid) and my mother read and told me the Grimm's Brothers Fairy Tales over and over. She was also very streetwise.

My wife, and we did this when we were dating, will enter a restroom with me outside the door and check it out and then say it's looks OK to enter. Only then will she close the door.

I don't walk into any store without doing a quick survey visually of the parking lot and if I can see, what is going on inside.

Once I entered a 7/11 store late at night and saw a guy standing by the phone. When I came out I could see from my side that he was following me. I quickly opened by door and then slowly stuck my right hand into my backpocket and made a few motions like I was reaching for something and then kept my arm still.

He stopped about eight feet from me. He wanted a ride for about three blocks.

I told him calmly, no offense to you man, but I don't give rides to people I don't know.

I moved my right hand again.

He walked away.

I was in my car, doors locked, and gone.

*I had no weapon in my backpocket*

And like my father, I now work on the streets with people.
That's a very short version of my experiences thus far.

What do you think?

Are kidding ourselves with these "free zones of safety" signs?

Any tips on being safe out there?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
It's a little harder for me personally to feel safe as a short and skinny 19 year old blonde girl. Just this past Friday I went to a park and when I pulled up in my car there were two very shady men in an old van next to me, and they were staring at me very intensely. I pretended to be messing with my cell phone, and everynow and then I would look up and they were still staring. I decided not to get out, so I pulled out of the parking spot and circled around, thankfully by the time I got back they were gone. Unfortunately this happens to not only me but my other girl friends all too often. Even in "safe" areas.

Just be vigilant, be aware of the people around you without seeming too paranoid. We live in a crazy world.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
hmmm.... I was born in Colombia, not the safest place in the world, when I was a girl I was afraid to find a bomb in the street or that someone in my family gets killed or kidnaped.

now... it's not that i feel completely safe walking trough the streets at night, but I know where I can walk and which areas are better to avoid and like u2 democrat said, being vigilant. I like to travel across the country and I know the risks, but it is unfair to let others control your life trough violence.

two days ago they found a dead man two blocks near my house, and it is supposed that i'm living in a quite neigborhood. I don't know, If I start to think about all the stuff around me I would get nuts :S
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Being Safe Out There

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
I don't feel safe anywhere.

And I do not live in fear.
A rather American attitude, although I think you'll find that you do live in fear at a subconscious level.

There's an odd sense of safety being in Canada. The news isn't remotely as fearmongering. No handguns to worry about, for the most part. Murders are always a tiny fraction of the American rate.

That was the last time I really felt safe. America has been in a constant state of fear ever since the colonial days, and the post-9/11 world has just amplified this state of alert to insane proportions.

Melon
Old 09-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 04:19 AM

Quote:
Any tips on being safe out there?
Trust your instincts.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"A rather American attitude, although I think you'll find that you do live in fear at a subconscious level."

melon,

Thank you for your comments, but I do not live in fear at a subconscious level.

I've done that search years ago.
The being I fear does not walk this earth at present.

My father, besides being a Baptist minister, also taught psychology at a local university for several years.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:19 PM

Quote:

My wife, and we did this when we were dating, will enter a restroom with me outside the door and check it out and then say it's looks OK to enter. Only then will she close the door.

I don't walk into any store without doing a quick survey visually of the parking lot and if I can see, what is going on inside.

Once I entered a 7/11 store late at night and saw a guy standing by the phone. When I came out I could see from my side that he was following me. I quickly opened by door and then slowly stuck my right hand into my backpocket and made a few motions like I was reaching for something and then kept my arm still.

This sounds like you are living in fear.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Being Safe Out There

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This sounds like you are living in fear.

Reading is fundamental

and really fun.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:19 PM
If there is nothing to fear, why are you the ever-vigilant knight? Reading is a brilliant tool, you're right.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Being aware of your surroundings isn't exactly fear. Unless you consider checking your mirror before changing lanes fear. If you do, then I guess everything we do is fear.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
If there is nothing to fear, why are you the ever-vigilant knight? Reading is a brilliant tool, you're right.

I can live without checking out restrooms or act like I'm carrying a weapon, AND I can read...

I guess I got the best of both worlds.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Being aware of your surroundings isn't exactly fear. Unless you consider checking your mirror before changing lanes fear. If you do, then I guess everything we do is fear.
Being aware of your surroundings doesn't require checking out restrooms and acting as if you have a weapon...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:19 PM
I don't know - I mean, in some neighborhoods if I had to stop and get gas I would look around before I "cornered" myself in a restroom. My heart rate would be the same but my senses would be more alert.

As an Infantry officer I'm trained to have "situational awareness." I wouldn't equate that to fear.

When I'm afraid my heartbeat picks up, my forehead sweats a little, and I get hyper-focused. I'm sure others handle fear their own way...

BTW - I'm listening to Slowdive right now...man, what an AWESOME band!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Being aware of your surroundings doesn't require checking out restrooms and acting as if you have a weapon...

So, what do you mean?

I should just simply walk into a restroom without looking?

Faking a weapon is a stupid thing to do when your feel like you are in dangrerous situation?

Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

As an Infantry officer I'm trained to have "situational awareness." I wouldn't equate that to fear.

I'm a blackbelt in Tae-Kwon-Do, so I have the same "situational awareness", but it's a lot different than what's described above.