being 'politically correct' - how important is it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:23 PM
being 'politically correct' - how important is it?

being politically correct, using the right terms.. does it matter? does it really hide the real intention?

is it the intention or the statement that matters ?

what do you think?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 PM
I think it's phoney and a form of censorship. Don't get me started.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:23 AM
"Politically correct" is a reactionary term to an environment where it is essentially stated (for example) "you are a racist, prove me wrong". In todays environment, when one is accused (rightly or wrongly) of racism, or holding racist beliefs, everything else that is said stops until you respond to the charge.

The term, however, is sometimes overused to mask true racist beliefs.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
I had bad experiences with "politically correct" when I was a history student. In history departments all across the country, we had the Controversy From Hell over African historical studies. The biggest dispute was over Cleopatra's ethnic background. It exasperated me. The name Cleopatra was Greek; her dynastic name, Ptolemy, was Greek, and the family was founded by a Macedonian Greek, Ptolemy, one of Alexander the Great's generals. It infuriated me to hear these pious African studies activists claim that she was of African descent, and "not Caucasian like all the racist historians claim". Please. They were taking the old African nationalist argument and applying it to history. They were trying to start African studies departments in the universities. An African American history prof who opposed the idea as too politically motivated really had to put up with all sorts of crud. He was a brilliant Napoleonic scholar with a military background and was a pretty conservative guy. So naturally he didn't like alot of their politics. It's this lack of honesty that really turns me off about "political correct" stuff.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
"political correctness" is very passe. it's already a cliche, and while it came from good intentions -- we should examine our language, and realize how inherently racist/sexis/whatever it is, and how using such language reinforces social barriers and discrimination -- it has probably outlived its usefulness.

we now live in an age, post 9-11, of "patriotic correctness" where you cannot criticize the use of the US Army, or the behavior of American soliders at places like Abu Ghraib, without prefacing the satement with "i support our troops" or "i know not all troops torture Iraqis, but ..." same thing as NBC's example of political correctness and racism, but only this time it's loaded words like "patriotism" at stake.

of course, that only applies to the US.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Its often overdone, but there is a certain amount of PCness that is neccessary. Where exactly that line is drawn, I don't know.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:23 AM
I don't think it really exists except as a conservative bogeyman. I could be wrong, but I've never seen any other application of it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

If it is a conservative bogeyman, then it is only used when the liberal bogeyman of racial politics is employed.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I think it's phoney and a form of censorship. Don't get me started.
I wouldn't say it's phoney, but it is overbloated these days.

It started with the greatest intentions. It started with the idea to truly examine our language and our actions for those that were being mistreated.

It removed racist terms, sexists terms, and insensitive terms. It forced us to look at the disabled differently are realize they can't function in our everyday surroundings. It did some great things but then it fell off the deep end. Now it's used and abused by both sides. It's used by some groups to sanitize every space of our lives and it's used by others to mask their racism and hatred.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
If it is a conservative bogeyman, then it is only used when the liberal bogeyman of racial politics is employed.
I don't think it's soley a conservative bogeyman, and both sides play racial politics, the right has actually gotten pretty good at it in the last few years.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Yeah, sure. Whatever.

Case in point: the Trent Lott affair from a few years ago, in which the Senate Majority Leader says that things would be better if an avowed segregationist would have been elected President at the height of the civil rights struggle. Liberal outrage rightly ensues. Cries of "political correctness" from the right serve as pretty much the first, last, and only line of defense of Lott.

But I guess that was just that liberal bogeyman acting up again.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It started with the greatest intentions. It started with the idea to truly examine our language and our actions for those that were being mistreated.

It removed racist terms, sexists terms, and insensitive terms. It forced us to look at the disabled differently are realize they can't function in our everyday surroundings. It did some great things but then it fell off the deep end. Now it's used and abused by both sides. It's used by some groups to sanitize every space of our lives and it's used by others to mask their racism and hatred.
I really think you have this wrong. You make it sound like "political correctness" is a liberal project gone awry. But it's nothing but a derogatory term coined by the right to trivialize the removal of "racist terms, sexists terms, and insensitive terms." It's an idiot term used by small-minded people.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

I really think you have this wrong. You make it sound like "political correctness" is a liberal project gone awry. But it's nothing but a derogatory term coined by the right to trivialize the removal of "racist terms, sexists terms, and insensitive terms." It's an idiot term used by small-minded people.
What part do I have wrong exactly? That it did good or that it's being abused by both sides right now?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What part do I have wrong exactly? That it did good or that it's being abused by both sides right now?
That it ever really existed in the first place! Talking about "political correctness" is the same as talking about the "Social Security crisis". It's a myth!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
Case in point: the Trent Lott affair from a few years ago, in which the Senate Majority Leader says that things would be better if an avowed segregationist would have been elected President at the height of the civil rights struggle. Liberal outrage rightly ensues. Cries of "political correctness" from the right serve as pretty much the first, last, and only line of defense of Lott.

But I guess that was just that liberal bogeyman acting up again.
You couldn't pick a better example of liberal racial politics. Lott gives a man praise at a party for Thurmans 100th birthday, and liberals jump in to infer racially devisive meaning. Lott said nothing about segregation being good. Just kind words for an old politician.

Lott even said "My comments were not an endorsement of his positions of over 50 years ago, but of the man and his life." Not good enough for the bogeyman, is suppose.

I guess it is that type of action that brings real progress in this country.