being 'politically correct' - how important is it? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
It's an idiot term used by small-minded people.
How blue state of you....

Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:

I really think you have this wrong. You make it sound like "political correctness" is a liberal project gone awry. But it's nothing but a derogatory term coined by the right to trivialize the removal of "racist terms, sexists terms, and insensitive terms." It's an idiot term used by small-minded people.
As a liberal myself (I voted for Kerry) I disagree. The original intent of this stuff sounded good--ban all of the racist, sexist, etc, etc, language and sentiment. Unfortunately they went over the deep end with this stuff really fast. By the time we were having those disputes in the history departments, it was out of hand. The controversy over Cleopatra's ethnic background had reached fever pitch and I was really pissed off over the whole thing. Some idiots wanted to preach ideology-based garbage at me in the name of history, and they were wrong, but they were so damned sure they were telling the gospel truth and anyone who disagreed with them was racist scum. They were an example of leftist racist scum themselves if you ask me.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You couldn't pick a better example of liberal racial politics. Lott gives a man praise at a party for Thurmans 100th birthday, and liberals jump in to infer racially devisive meaning. Lott said nothing about segregation being good. Just kind words for an old politician.

Lott even said "My comments were not an endorsement of his positions of over 50 years ago, but of the man and his life." Not good enough for the bogeyman, is suppose.

I guess it is that type of action that brings real progress in this country.

Is this how you filter things?

Lott said, "The counntry would have been better off if Strom was elected in 48"

he ran as a third party candidate, his issue, pro segregation.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:

That it ever really existed in the first place! Talking about "political correctness" is the same as talking about the "Social Security crisis". It's a myth!
I think you're giving society too much credit. You honestly think these changes took place naturally? There has definately been a very distinctive shift in perception and language.

I know people in my parents generation and older who still use the word negro or colored to talk about someone who's black well after the civil rights movement. To them that was the "nicer" alternative to the word nigger. You'd get publicly flogged if you used one of those words to describe a black person today. But if there hadn't been some type of movement in society to let everyone know this wasn't acceptable people would still be using these terms. Not out of racism but because that's what they were taught.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Lott said, "The counntry would have been better off if Strom was elected in 48"

he ran as a third party candidate, his issue, pro segregation.
If you want to define him as a one issue person, then I suppose you can win your own case.

When someone turns 100, people tend to be more gracious in their comments.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

The Trent Lott controversy centered around Strom Thurmond's nomination as the Dixiecrat candidate in 1948, well before the civil rights era. Lott used poor judgment in his statement about Thurmond, in my opinion, because the Dixiecrats were so bad for Southern politics. It's a regional thing, I think, it rubbed alot of Southerners the wrong way. If you are from another part of the country, you look at it in a different way. People were circulating petitions pushing Bill Frist as the new Senate Majority Leader. I do not think these people were liberals. There *were* liberals involved; the liberal blogs were the people who actually broke the story to the press. But not everyone involved in the Lott controversy was a liberal.
Back to the politically correct debate.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If you want to define him as a one issue person, then I suppose you can win your own case.

With a hundred years, he could have picked many things to comment on

His whole presidential run was based on segregation

Again, I find your filter process odd

Would you have as much tolerance for a remark praising anti-Semitism?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Would you have as much tolerance for a remark praising anti-Semitism?

As Ronnie would say, there you go again. Suggesting tolerance for bigotry....
Old 01-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #24
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The Trent Lott controversy centered around Strom Thurmond's nomination as the Dixiecrat candidate in 1948, well before the civil rights era.
Yeah, I got a bit carried away when I said it was at the height of the civil rights movement. I retract that part of what I said.

But the thrust of my comment still stands.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:10 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I do think Lott was trying to be nice and I don't think he was advocating segregation or anything of the sort. The thing is, what do you say about a guy like Strom Thurmond, with his background? The guy was a controversy magnet, for obvious reasons.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:

How blue state of you....

how easily you resort to name-calling.

seriously NBC, i'd expect more from you. everyone knows what Lott said, and it was deeply offensive, and it wasn't just liberals. in fact, the liberals -- boogeymen like HRC or Ted Kennedy stepped aside as people from all sides of the political spectrum called him on it. in fact, the most effective voices were from those in his own part -- from conservative writers like Sullivan to McCain and even W. the entire basis of Thurmond's platform in 1948 was segregation, and Lott effectively said that we'd all be better off had we elected him. that *is* praise for segregation, not graciousness for an old man. this isn't political correctness, not least is it political correctness in the highly conservative terms you've defined it (and incompletely and conveniently defined it, btw). it was a racist comment, and everyone recognized it as such, and called him out on it, and he did some grovling on BET, which just further exposed Lott for what he is: a modern day Dixiecrat.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

how easily you resort to name-calling.
I guess you missed the casual "idiot term of the small minded" comment I was responding to.

Quote:
seriously NBC, i'd expect more from you. everyone knows what Lott said, and it was deeply offensive, and it wasn't just liberals. in fact, the liberals -- boogeymen like HRC or Ted Kennedy stepped aside as people from all sides of the political spectrum called him on it. in fact, the most effective voices were from those in his own part -- from conservative writers like Sullivan to McCain and even W. the entire basis of Thurmond's platform in 1948 was segregation, and Lott effectively said that we'd all be better off had we elected him. that *is* praise for segregation, not graciousness for an old man. this isn't political correctness, not least is it political correctness in the highly conservative terms you've defined it (and incompletely and conveniently defined it, btw). it was a racist comment, and everyone recognized it as such, and called him out on it, and he did some grovling on BET, which just further exposed Lott for what he is: a modern day Dixiecrat.
It was one line from a speech fifty years removed from Strom's candidacy. I guess the my original premise is correct - it's racist, prove me wrong.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:

I guess you missed the casual "idiot term of the small minded" comment I was responding to.

It was one line from a speech fifty years removed from Strom's candidacy. I guess the my original premise is correct - it's racist, prove me wrong.

fair enough on the first point.

on the second point ... you're really grasping at straws here. the brevity of your posts make them hard to respond to, but i suppose that's an effective technique. how else would you characterize a remark about how much better off we'd all be if we had just elected Strom in '48? the two things Strom was famous for were his age, and his deeply racist past. nothing needs be proved, nor, as we all have said, was calling Lott out on this comment at all a matter of political correctness. you're twisting the term to justify your interpretation of a situation -- again, i expect more from you.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the two things Strom was famous for were his age, and his deeply racist past.
I guess if we define him this way, there is little room to discuss.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Well, okay, then, nbc.

Tell us about some of Strom's notable accomplishments. And leave out living to be 100, running for President as a segregationist, and fathering a child out of wedlock with a black woman while running on a segregationist platform.

Join Amnesty.