being a pharmacist is against my religion, or, more signs of theocracy - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
should the government be able force a business owner to see something he does not wish to sell?
But if someone is going into some sort of business, I would assume that they know full well what could be sold in their line of work. If they find they wouldn't feel comfortable selling that stuff to someone, why bother joining that business anyway? Why not just find another line of work that would better suit them?

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
I am a web designer by trade. But I will not create pornographic web sites. Should I just go ahead and decide to get out of the web sit business, or am I entitled to only contract out on the types of web sites I am comfortable with? It is my money/lack of it, after all.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I am a web designer by trade. But I will not create pornographic web sites. Should I just go ahead and decide to get out of the web sit business, or am I entitled to only contract out on the types of web sites I am comfortable with? It is my money/lack of it, after all.
You're comparing web design to healthcare? No offense but it's not even close.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


You're comparing web design to healthcare? No offense but it's not even close.
I am not comparing healthcare to web design.

Moonlit Angel said:

"But if someone is going into some sort of business, I would assume that they know full well what could be sold in their line of work. If they find they wouldn't feel comfortable selling that stuff to someone, why bother joining that business anyway? Why not just find another line of work that would better suit them?"

What I am saying is that since it is my own business, am I allowed to refuse to sell what I do not want? Should the fact that I don't want to create pornographic web sites keep me out of the business altogether?

In that respect, the situation is the same. If I open my own pharmacy shop and decide not to sell birth control, should the government be able to tell me "sell it or get out of the business"? If you believe that the government has that right, what would be the basis in law for that? Is birth control a medical emergency? Please bear in mind that sexual relations are not a necessity, and if someone wants to buy birth control, they'd be able to at any number of pharmacies. But, as a business owner, I should have the right not to dispense non-emergency prescriptions, and the customer has every right to impact my finances by boycotting me.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Is birth control a medical emergency? Please bear in mind that sexual relations are not a necessity, and if someone wants to buy birth control, they'd be able to at any number of pharmacies.
Why do you equate the pill solely with "sexual relations"?

I will give you a personal (and 100% true) example.

In layman's terms (I don't want to get too much into scientific lingo), I have a genetic defect in that I cannot produce an enzyme which is required to convert one type of hormone from the inactive to the active form. As such, there is a birth control pill on the market which I am required to be on indefinitely, for the rest of my life, excepting periods during which I wish to have a child. If I do not have the pill, my endocrine system goes completely out of whack, and it can take about 6-9 months, from previous experience to have it regulated again after going back on this medication.

Now you tell me why any pharmacist has the right to deny me this medication simply because it also provides me with birth control on the side?

They are harming my life. They are making my body suffer great discomfort. They are screwing up my chemical balance.

For their God.

Because that's what he would really want?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram



Now you tell me why any pharmacist has the right to deny me this medication simply because it also provides me with birth control on the side?

They are harming my life. They are making my body suffer great discomfort. They are screwing up my chemical balance.

For their God.

Because that's what he would really want?
This isn't about religion. It's about government interference.

You can't go down the street to another pharmacist?

You would rather set the precedent of allowing the government to dictate what non-emergency items a business owner must sell?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


This isn't about religion. It's about government interference.

You can't go down the street to another pharmacist?

You would rather set the precedent of allowing the government to dictate what non-emergency items a business owner must sell?

in many small towns, there is only one pharmacist.

the big deal, i think, is the morning-after pill, and if the only pharmacist in town says no, then you've got a big problem on your hands.

i'm happy to let the government enforce the delivery of perscription medication.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 04-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Should libraries be able to ban certain books due to moral objection?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You can't go down the street to another pharmacist?
Why should I have to?

Why can't a black person go down the street to a restaurant where the owner will allow them to eat at?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:22 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Since birth control is not a medical emergency, and since other pharmacies do sell it, should the government be able force a business owner to see something he does not wish to sell?
According to a set of long-running medical ethics, a pharmacist cannot interject his personal or religious biases into his work.

There is a large difference between not wanting to make pornographic websites and medicine. The expected code of ethics is different. Period.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Why should I have to?

Why can't a black person go down the street to a restaurant where the owner will allow them to eat at?
Melon already tried that analogy - and it's not the same.

As I said, the pharmacy in my question isn't singling out a certain type of person to not sell birth control to; the pharmacy isn't selling it to anyone at all.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 07:29 PM
A pharmacy should offer and dispense any prescription drug that the FDA has approved. That is the expected code of medical ethics, and, as I said before, if a pharmacist objects to dispensing drugs, they should choose a new profession.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


According to a set of long-running medical ethics, a pharmacist cannot interject his personal or religious biases into his work.

There is a large difference between not wanting to make pornographic websites and medicine. The expected code of ethics is different. Period.

Melon
So, there is a long-running ethic that people who won pharmacies must sell birth control, a non-emergency prescription?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
So, there is a long-running ethic that people who won pharmacies must sell birth control, a non-emergency prescription?
If it is a prescription medication and FDA-approved, then yes.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
A pharmacy should offer and dispense any prescription drug that the FDA has approved.
So, you are in favor of the government forcing pharmacies to sell the abortion pill?
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com