being a pharmacist is against my religion, or, more signs of theocracy - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
If I had sex with a girl, the condom broke and I ejaculated in her with no other form of birth control, and she went to a pharmacist with a prescription for the morning after pill, and the pharmacist rejected it and refused to transfer it to someone else, I'd go down to that pharmacy with a 9-iron and a knife, and I'd kill that bastard.

Nobody has the right to decide other people's lives. Certainly not something as life-altering as a pregnancy. NOBODY.

I don't give a flying fuck if you believe in God, Allah, Buddha, or some magical leprechaun that lives in the tail of Halley's Comet. You DO NOT force pregnancy on someone that you don't even know based on your own personal convictions.

It's tantamount to a rapist saying in court "Well I know she's pregnant, but that's too bad, because I believe very strongly that I have a right to knock her up."

No. This is unacceptable.

If you can't fill a damn prescription, get the fuck out of the pharmacies. I don't give two shits what you believe in, and I don't give one shit for what your God tells you is right, you have no right to make life-altering decisions on this scale for someone you don't even know.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
If I had sex with a girl, the condom broke and I ejaculated in her with no other form of birth control, and she went to a pharmacist with a prescription for the morning after pill, and the pharmacist rejected it and refused to transfer it to someone else, I'd go down to that pharmacy with a 9-iron and a knife, and I'd kill that bastard.

Dave,

I agree these people should check their religious beliefs at the door.

I hope you will retract your physical threat.
I believe you lose the argument resorting to violence or threats of.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #33
New Yorker

Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

So if you and Dave broke a condom
you would be happy if he was arrested
for knifing to death some loser, nut job pharmacist?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #35
New Yorker

Christ on a friggin' BIKE.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Good rant Dave!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #37
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
And women don't only use birth control pills to prevent pregnancy; many of them use the pill to regulate their periods. This isn't necessarily just a sex issue; it's also a health issue.
Thank you for remembering this, GG! I could actually, according to my GYN, be a greater risk of uterine or cervical cancer without my "birth control". I am one of these women, and if some idiot decides s/he has the right to make medical decisions for MY body, I will have his or her job.

What blinders some people have on!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:38 AM
This is a simple issue.

A pharmacist is not licensed to make medical decisions. Prescribing birth control is a decision made by a professional who holds an MD degree in consultation with his/her patient. The pharmacist has nothing to do with this process; he merely dispenses drugs and as such has no right making decisions which directly impact an individual's health.

Notice how these pharmacists are always up in arms when it comes to contraceptives women use. I don't see them dumping their Trojans out into the trash.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Yes, good point, it's always the WOMAN who is at fault. They should then ban condoms as well. But condoms aren't sold at the pharmmacy; at your local CVS they're bought in the normal store aialses, just like the maxipads.

Hm, that's an interesting sidethread in itself...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

When I came back to the forums, I told myself I wouldn't post in Free Your Mind. Well, I broke that rule accidentally previously, so I'll go ahead and post here. I'm still not going to argue, just wanted to post some food for additional thought.

Would you folks think it would be okay for the entire pharmacy to set a policy that they will not dispense birth control? The question then becomes "Does a business owner have the right to decide for himself what to sell and what not to sell?"
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #42
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 AM
The problem I have with all of this is that oral contraceptives can be used for purposes other than contraception. Even if a pharmacist is totally opposed to contraception, a woman could come in with those same beliefs, even, and a birth control prescription for her acne or irregular periods. But because the prescription is for the Pill, the pharmacist could turn her down. Similarly, if I worked at Wal-Mart, I wouldn't have the right to refuse to sell someone a gun just because they could use it to shoot someone.

But that's not even the central issue here. This is not like a bar turning away a violent drunk or a hotel turning away a known prostitute, which they both have the right to do. Filling a birth control prescription does not mean that other customers might take their business elsewhere, or that other customers having prescriptions filled at the same time will somehow be disturbed or upset.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I heard about this some time ago and thought it was one of those jokes where we exaggerate to what new lows the "moral majority" will stoop to...imagine my horror upon finding out that there are such fanatics. Welcome to the United States of Iran. Unf***ingbelievable.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Would you folks think it would be okay for the entire pharmacy to set a policy that they will not dispense birth control? The question then becomes "Does a business owner have the right to decide for himself what to sell and what not to sell?"
No. There are professional standards in medicine. Would it be okay for a real estate agency to set a policy that they will not service blacks? Jews? Non-Christians? No.

If pharmacists' religion(s) hamper their ability to do their job, then they can quit and find a new profession.

Melon
Old 04-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

No. There are professional standards in medicine. Would it be okay for a real estate agency to set a policy that they will not service blacks? Jews? Non-Christians? No.

If pharmacists' religion(s) hamper their ability to do their job, then they can quit and find a new profession.

Melon
But is it the same, Melon? In your example, the real estate agent sells homes, but refuse to sell them to a certain subset of people.

In my example, the pharmacy chooses not to sell birth control to anyone at all.

Since birth control is not a medical emergency, and since other pharmacies do sell it, should the government be able force a business owner to see something he does not wish to sell?