being a pharmacist is against my religion, or, more signs of theocracy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It is always on it's way, it's always just over the horizon, colour me skeptical.

yes, it is the good sense of the common individual that keeps it at bay, but the religious right has never held such power over a party that now controls all three branches of government.

i'm not yet scared, but i'm vigilant. and as a responsible citizen, the worst thing i can do is nothing.

and, with all due respect, and you know i have much respect for the depth of your knowledge, but you do not live in the USA. there are very, very scary people who hold very, very powerful positions in congress.

do some checking into the background of Tom DeLay. i promise you, he is the worst enemy a libertarian can have. and if you look at the amount the government is spending to push their hard right social agenda ... there's really no difference between them and the tax-and-spend european-style leftists that most libertarians despise.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 04:10 PM
I don't know who to hate more: these pharmacists or the ministers who feed them these poisonous thoughts. Unless you're dispensing RU-486, birth control pills, even in high doses, are not "abortion pills." Even then, RU-486 is generally dispensed under hospital supervision, so the vast majority of pharmacists won't ever have to worry about "killing babies."

If these supposedly college-educated pharmacists actually believe this shit, then they should be fired for gross incompetance.

Melon
__________________

__________________
melon is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



yes, it is the good sense of the common individual that keeps it at bay, but the religious right has never held such power over a party that now controls all three branches of government.

i'm not yet scared, but i'm vigilant. and as a responsible citizen, the worst thing i can do is nothing.

and, with all due respect, and you know i have much respect for the depth of your knowledge, but you do not live in the USA. there are very, very scary people who hold very, very powerful positions in congress.

do some checking into the background of Tom DeLay. i promise you, he is the worst enemy a libertarian can have. and if you look at the amount the government is spending to push their hard right social agenda ... there's really no difference between them and the tax-and-spend european-style leftists that most libertarians despise.
I am not arguing about the problems of the Republican party being beholden to the religious right, nor am I enamoured with their interventions into peoples lives, the gradual influence of ID into schools ~ frankly there are very few parts of that party or individuals in it that I would find agreeable. Just like down here our conservative party has tight gun control, big spending and pro-censorship.

The best defence against unwarranted influence is concerned citizens and I am quite satisfied that there is a lot of attention being placed upon the issues.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I don't know who to hate more: these pharmacists or the ministers who feed them these poisonous thoughts. Unless you're dispensing RU-486, birth control pills, even in high doses, are not "abortion pills." Even then, RU-486 is generally dispensed under hospital supervision, so the vast majority of pharmacists won't ever have to worry about "killing babies."

If these supposedly college-educated pharmacists actually believe this shit, then they should be fired for gross incompetance.

Melon
You impress me more and more every time you post.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #20
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,435
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Melon, you are my hero.

~T~

(The left-wing Evengelical former "squeaky")

PS Melon...in the spirit of debate...I'd love to know what you think of my "Bono preaching too much on Africa!" post in the General Tour Discussions thread "Is This The African Awareness Tour"? (aka a short history of the term "genocide", part 1).

You'll know which one it is..Radem C called it "the longest post on Interference" and I said um, no, actually it;s not..I've written longer. Just trying to stir people up
__________________
Teta040 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #21
Refugee
 
unosdostres14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ogacihC
Posts: 1,558
Local Time: 09:10 PM
I bet all of these people (the dumbass pharmacists) voted for Bush....
__________________
unosdostres14 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Just like down here our conservative party has tight gun control, big spending and pro-censorship.

Well we have 2 out of 3.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
You'll know which one it is..Radem C called it "the longest post on Interference" and I said um, no, actually it;s not..I've written longer. Just trying to stir people up
Yes, you have written longer posts. I've read several of them.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:10 PM
These pricks piss me off no end. If that happened to me I would never shop at that store again, for anything at all. And I would make sure to tell everyone I possibly could about the store's refusal to serve a customer.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #25
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,415
Local Time: 09:10 PM
This pisses me off to no end. And it kills me that my home state, Wisconsin, is considering having this law. Pharmacists should be happy that women are taking their sexuality serious enough to use birth control. And women don't only use birth control pills to prevent pregnancy; many of them use the pill to regulate their periods. This isn't necessarily just a sex issue; it's also a health issue.
__________________
Golightly Grrl is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #26
War Child
 
najeena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: an island paradise
Posts: 995
Local Time: 09:10 PM
My Dad is an old-fashioned rural GP who is retiring soon. He told me the other day that if he had known what would become of the medical field, he would have stuck with physics.
__________________
najeena is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Hmmm...heh, can't say I really disagree with any of the posts in this thread. This is an incredibly stupid idea, definitely. Especially considering that, as Golightly Grrl pointed out, it's not just a black and white case here-the birth control isn't just used for sexual things and all that.

Bottom line, people's sex lives, pregnancy issues, things along that line, all of that should be their business and their business only. It's not anyone else's place to encroch on that aspect of their lives, or to impose their views of what is an appropriate way of handling your sexual encounters on everyone else.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:10 PM
This is disturbing to me. I don't like the idea of a woman not being able to get birth control. A pharmacist shouldn't be in the business of ordering a woman to get pregnant.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 30,150
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Well said, Dave C!
__________________
susanp6 is offline  
Old 04-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #30
New Yorker
 
sallycinnamon78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,977
Local Time: 10:10 PM
What a load of absolute horseshit.

Surely, pharmacists KNOW that their job will involve distributing birth control on demand.

If this conflicts with someone's personal beliefs, that's all well and good for them. We ought to stand up for our convictions. There's a very simple answer.

Anyone who has such strong beliefs about these things, and yet quite deliberately puts him/herself into a situation where they need to go against their principles is a fool.

If you can't do the job, then don't attempt to develop a career in dispensing pharmaceutical products.

That, in my opinion, is basic common sense.
__________________

__________________
sallycinnamon78 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com