Behind the Navel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
At a youth gathering in my church, there was a guest speaker who spoke about such things as modesty. He went on and on about the exposure of the female navel. To him it was the window into the sacred womb, and must be veiled as the Holy Eucharist is veiled. This seemed rather extreme to me. He even brought up the latest Levi's commercial, with the singing navels, and how this upset him. I couldn't comprehend this really, perhaps because I confess to wearing the occasional halter top and owning a few pairs of 2-piece swimming suits. I decided to interrupt him with the the point that perhaps it is fit to display the navel, as a sacred statue might be. This had him stumped
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I appreciated his respect for the life giving womb, however I don't see myself throwing out the halters anytime soon. Does anyone else hold this extreme belief? What are your thoughts?

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Thats nice that you love to flaunt it Froggie, but we are getting just a little tired of seeing your navel...isnt it time to cover it up??? Maybe just once in awhile?

------------------
I and I In The Sky / You Make Me Feel Like I Can Fly...So High...EL E VA TION!

We're free to fly the crimson skies...The sun wont melt our wings tonight...

*TAKE ME HIGHER*

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 07-24-2001).]

I shall never tire of seeing froggie's navel
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

No Spiral, I don't mind. It's just your typical universal Catholic church. This guy was brought in from a seperate retreat though. I'm not sure anyone knew he'd speak so passionately about the navel.

I think he may be alone in his views!

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
He went on and on about the exposure of the female navel. To him it was the window into the sacred womb, and must be veiled

Maybe he should be more concerned about keeping "the door" to the womb closed rather than keeping the blinds down over the window. LOL
wink.gif

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way. Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono - Houston, Texas 4-2-01

Like O2... LMAO!!!

When you start laying down a "WELCOME" mat, you know you're in trouble
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Depending on how they ring the door bell...it can be pretty tough not to answer.

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way. Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono - Houston, Texas 4-2-01

Yes, indeed, unless they come with a peep hole into their soul.

haha we could go on forever
wink.gif

------------------

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY HALTER TOPS!!!:MAD:

Well, I don't really agree with that viewpoint. Modesty is a good thing to have, but people should be more concerned with spiritual growth rather than wearing the 'right' amount of clothing.

I can tell you what I know of my denomination: The navel is not mentioned in the United Methodist Book if Discipline, nor have I heard any sermons on it. Interesting, though. This could be a new splinter movement within the Christian church: The Church of the Holy Navel.

~U2Alabama

From an outsider (me): Why do men take it upon themselves to tell women how to dress and conduct ourselves in the name of modesty? Especially when they only see us as wombs and not women.

Don't let me piss you off. I'm wary of anyone who uses religion to keep women covered/controlled. That's a dishonest use of religion.

Hmm... that's a different type of navel-gazing!
smile.gif

I can't help you with the religious view, but I do have two points: While I believe that women should be allowed to wear whatever they want, I am a little worried about the behaviour I'm seeing in little girls at the moment. What are 10-year-olds doing wearing push-up bras and tiny tops? Also, I read this article the other day, which I found rather worrying: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010722/hl/body_image_2.html

Secondly: Why do so many men feel they have the right to walk around shirtless in public? It's not that I have any hang-ups about men in general, but with weather like this, the amount of flabby, hairy, sweaty male flesh I'm forced to look at is just horrendous. Yes, I'm shallow, I may not get quite as upset at the sight of a buff, tanned young man, but really - why is it necessary for men to flaunt their stuff like that? A T-shirt won't give you heat stroke.

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Hmm... that's a different type of navel-gazing!
smile.gif

I can't help you with the religious view, but I do have two points: While I believe that women should be allowed to wear whatever they want, I am a little worried about the behaviour I'm seeing in little girls at the moment. What are 10-year-olds doing wearing push-up bras and tiny tops? Also, I read this article the other day, which I found rather worrying: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010722/hl/body_image_2.html

Oh, geez, i know, the slutty 10 year olds are everywhere around here. Lots of slutty 7 year olds too. Its sick. Those parents need to be hauled in and slapped around.
mad.gif

So does the media,etc.

As for ugly guys taking thier shirts off, i also heartily agree. i think EVERYONE needs to put on more clothes!
Except U2. They need to take em off,baby!hee hee!
biggrin.gif

------------------
I and I In The Sky / You Make Me Feel Like I Can Fly...So High...EL E VA TION!

We're free to fly the crimson skies...The sun wont melt our wings tonight...

*TAKE ME HIGHER*

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
oh my Like O2 and beebs, that was de funniest!

haha I spat out my drink oxygen girl

I feel a little bad for the speaker at Bebe's church. He had such good intentions...imagine if he read this post and found that this speech about modesty turned into a discussion of "welcome mats", "door bells", and "peep holes"
tdo12.gif

So what about men's navels? Do they get to show theirs because they don't have wombs? Are men's navels windows to anything?

As a Catholic, I can say my personal, official feeling on the subject is that my belly button is simply the place where I used to be connected to my mother. What's the big deal about that?

Sounds to me like that guy is just looking for an excuse to get young girls to stop dressing so slutty (B Spears, etc).

O2, that was really funny!

Originally posted by martha:
From an outsider (me): Why do men take it upon themselves to tell women how to dress and conduct ourselves in the name of modesty? Especially when they only see us as wombs and not women.
Martha, I don't quite get this. Who sees women as wombs?

I think modesty is great, but it seems to me that there are a lot worse things than showing a belly button.

At my church, I sometimes ask myself "where are the parents? Why do they let their girls dress this way", because I often see teenage girls who are dressed very inapproriately for church. I'm talking short short skirts that show an awful lot of leg. In a perfect world, there would be nothing wrong wit that, but this is not a perfect world. A teenage boy is a teenage boy, and we all know how excited teenage boys get when they see even a little bit of exposed skin. They should not have to deal with that at church. Church is for wworshipping God, not gazing at a pair of hot pants. I think parents should think about these things a little more, and realize that kind of clothing is definitely not appropriate for church.

80s, I was responding to what Bebe said that guy said. He sees our belly buttons only as windows to a PART of our bodies. They are remnants of our connection to our mothers, not connections to any future children we may choose to have. Some men are a little over interested in women's wombs and the activity in them, or rather, the lack of control they have over the activity in them. They see us only as bearers of children, not as complete people. They want us to cover up and be more modest, all for the sake of our positions as future mothers, not as people. Even your comment about how the girls should cover up because the boys can't take it is a little on the controlling side. I know you don't mean it that way, but it brings to my over-reactive mind all those men who insist that Muslim women should stay covered because men cannot control themselves. I'm taking this and running with it because male control of women is a sore spot with me. "Boys will be boys" will someday not fly as an excuse; they'll have to be taught some self-control.

Klodomir, you speak as if there are no ugly, flabby women who go around baring skin...

and i actually think females dress much more revealingly than males; i don't know of many guys who wear short skirts or tight-fitting tops to the office/workplace/etc
smile.gif

anyway, I love those bare bellies, no complaints here!!!

hahahahahaha this whole thread is too funny!

wonder what bad experience he had with a belly-button? I can't see how they relate at all to faith but oh well

and oh yes, all for exposure but um, I agree Manda...it's in elementary school now!!
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom