Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

Originally posted by deep

Mac,

WWII

and the War of Choice based on fraudulant evidence are indeed two different things.

Unless you are just someone who loves war and killing people.

Macfistowannabe said:
And your "someone who loves war and killing people" comment is no more credible than if I suggested that you loved Saddam's mass graves, wood chippers, plastic shredders, rapes, murders,... you get the idea.

so tell me what our involvement in WWII

and Iraq have in common?

No way. Pinochet maybe, Milosevic perhaps (though way better equipped than either, and really Baathism doesn't invite easy analogy to much of anything). Certainly not Hitler, and not Stalin. Saddam had no global social engineering agenda. And remember it was Pearl Harbor, not Auschwitz, that got the US into WWII.

Last edited:
yolland said:
No way. Pinochet maybe, Milosevic perhaps (though way better equipped than either, and really Baathism doesn't invite easy analogy to much of anything). Certainly not Hitler, and not Stalin. Saddam had no global social engineering agenda. And remember it was Pearl Harbor, not Auschwitz, that got the US into WWII.

I do not disagree with you....

Just trying to help deep...hehe:wink:

financeguy said:

Absolutely correct.

And not only that but in Great Britain pre 1939 it was almost exclusively the leftwingers that were warning about Hitler. Many of the upper classes and right wingers had a sneaking regard for the Fascists.

As it happens Churchill was a Conservative, from the upper class, but to his credit he was alive to the dangers of fascism, unlike many from his class.

Exactly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

Macfistowannabe said:
Roosevelt was IN BED with Joseph Stalin, make no mistake.

Hitler was, too - until end of 1941. Everyone was in bed with Stalin at that time. Now how come Roosevelt didn´t like Hitler? They could have made a triumvirat, if Roosevelt was the kind of politician you portray him to be.

Macfistowannabe said:
Saddam didn't have anything to do with the isolated 9/11 incident. However, he offered $25,000 to the families of each suicide bomber that accepted his contribution to global terroris.

And if Bush "lied," so did all of these people.

That´s an impressive list. So can we conclude that the Dems were in for a war too? If the Dems would have been in power, would they have broken international law?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
If the Dems would have been in power, would they have broken international law?
If today's Democratic Party were in power, they'd be either telling us that ultra-pacifism would save us, or that there is no terrorist threat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

deep said:
so tell me what our involvement in WWII

and Iraq have in common?
WWII and War on Terror: The fact that many finally understood the global threat of fascism after both Pearl Harbor and 9/11 would be a start.

Se7en said:
there is currently a global threat of fascism?
If you've heard of radical and active islamic militants who have attacked Brittain, Australia, France, USA, and Spain, then yes.

Se7en said:
i would characterize them as totalitarian theocrats. i think fascism might be a bit misleading.
Hence the term "islamofascism." Al Qaida had planned more future attacks on the US in an attempt to annihilate all of us so-called infidels and establish an Islamic theocracy. I am grateful that we destroyed their training camps and that we've caught many terrorists that lived only to kill innocent people.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Hitler was, too - until end of 1941. Everyone was in bed with Stalin at that time. Now how come Roosevelt didn´t like Hitler? They could have made a triumvirat, if Roosevelt was the kind of politician you portray him to be.
Looking back, I don't believe Roosevelt was downright evil. Reckless maybe, but not evil.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

Macfistowannabe said:
Looking back, I don't believe Roosevelt was downright evil. Reckless maybe, but not evil.

I have no notion what you are getting at.

Roosevelt is widely considered to be one of the greatest ever US presidents.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

Macfistowannabe said:
WWII and War on Terror: The fact that many finally understood the global threat of fascism after both Pearl Harbor and 9/11 would be a start.

Pearl Harbor got us into WWII by the U S declaring War on Japan.

and then Germany because they were in an allied War.

911 gets us in a War against At-Queda and Taliban as they were /are allies.

Iraq / Saddam, even the Administration admits now, that there was no connection to Al-Queda,/ Taliban.

However, majority red state voters believed Saddam was directly involved in 911 attack. Would you be included in that group?

deep said:

Iraq / Saddam, even the Administration admits now, that there was no connection to Al-Queda,/ Taliban.

However, majority red state voters believed Saddam was directly involved in 911 attack. Would you be included in that group?
As I said earlier, I don't insist that Saddam was directly responsible for 9/11. However, he is responsible for funding families of suicide bombers with huge governmental handouts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Before the Stars Left their Stripes Behind

financeguy said:

I have no notion what you are getting at.

Roosevelt is widely considered to be one of the greatest ever US presidents.
To his credit, he led us into WWII before all hope was lost. God rest his soul for that. However, there is nothing great about having Soviet spies working in your administration, not to mention his hatred for Japanese people within his own country. He is NOT above criticism.

Macfistowannabe said:
As I said earlier, I don't insist that Saddam was directly responsible for 9/11. However, he is responsible for funding families of suicide bombers with huge governmental handouts.

That claim

does not warrant the Iraq war.

Is this a surrogate war for Israel?

You may like that.

It is not what the American people were told.

Last edited:
If Not Now... When?
...Barbra Streisand
Posted on October 26, 2005

If there was ever a time in history to impeach a President of the United States, it would be now. In my opinion, it is two years too late. We should have done this before the election to spare the country the misjudgment, the incompetence and the malfeasance of this administration. Let us remember that UN weapons inspectors asked for more time to search Iraq for WMDs. Two months into their search, the Director General of the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, stated that he found no evidence that Iraq had revived its nuclear weapons program since its elimination in the 1990s. And Saddam Hussein had begun to comply with the administration's demands. Why would you invade a country if there was still a chance for peace? Shouldn't war be an absolute last resort? We went to war because we were misled. And we should be angry because of the 2,000 American soldiers and the 200 armed coalition forces that have died. We should be livid because of the 15,000 American soldiers that have been horribly maimed and wounded. We should be disgusted because of the 30,000 innocent Iraqi civilians that have been killed and the 20,000 that are wounded after administration officials claimed that the US was going to liberate the Iraqi people.

When does it stop? It stops with the indictment and impeachment of this corrupt, power-hungry, greedy group of incompetent leaders. How many more have to die before this happens?

Impeachment will be difficult. People must understand the power of Congress. When one party controls both the House and the Senate, they control the agenda. They control what hearings are held, what legislation gets voted on, whether subpoenas are issued and which investigations can take place. And they control whether impeachment proceedings can be brought.

We were clearly deceived by this administration and now we find ourselves fighting a war under false pretenses. There was no connection between Iraq and 9/11, despite Dick Cheney's many assertions. There were no WMD's and the CIA had intelligence which corroborated that evidence. There was no nuclear threat contrary to Condoleezza Rice's "smoking gun becoming a mushroom cloud" scare tactic. And there was no yellow cake purchased from Niger by Iraq as former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, along with our European allies, confirmed. All of these misconceptions and falsehoods were relentlessly stated. But this administration disregarded the facts because they wanted to wage this war, as we learned in the Downing Street memo.

This President will go down as the worst president in American history. His administration ignored and neglected the threats before 9/11. His team was not prepared to act and react before, during or after Hurricane Katrina. His policies have contributed to the hastening of global warming, an ever growing national debt, a rise in poverty and an increasing disparity between the rich and the poor. We are watching the middle-class disappear under Bush's leadership. He has taken our economy from the largest surplus in U.S. history to the largest deficit in U.S. history. And he has appointed several people to important positions that are unqualified and loyal to a dangerous fault.

With the recent controversy surrounding the potential indictments and charges of perjury against senior members of the Bush administration, some have made comparisons to the perjury charge that was brought against President Clinton. Perjury under any circumstance is wrong. However, in President Clinton’s situation, the matter was concerning an issue that only adversely affected himself and his family. But the potential charges filed against Bush’s closest advisors have put everybody’s families and the national security of the United States at risk.

Thank god the media and the American public are finally waking up and asking the tougher questions now. I keep hearing Harry Truman's famous statement ringing in my brain, "I wonder how many times you have to be hit on the head before you find out who's hitting you?"

MrsSpringsteen said:
This President will go down as the worst president in American history. His administration ignored and neglected the threats before 9/11.
To name just a few things on Clinton's watch...

the 1993 WTC bombing,
the 1995 killings of five Americans by a car bomb,
the US Air Force housing complex that was bombed in 1996 in Saudi Arabia,
the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania,
and the 2000 attack on the USS Cole.

All acts of war by Muslim extremists who refused to get along with their neighbors.

The strategy: say you're going to find those responsible, and then do nothing.

Clinton's attitude with North Korea wasn't much different. In 1994, he made a "peace" bribe with North Korea. The brilliant administration showed us how diplomacy works: give your enemies plenty of money, and they will keep their promises. With the help of Jimmy Carter, Clinton gave North Korea 500,000 tons of fuel oil annually, as well as $4 billion to construct a pair of nuclear reactors for "electricity" if North Korea promised not to build nuclear weapons.

Carter received a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in putting the world at risk. It is a fact that North Korea ignored the deal from the beginning. They admitted it themselves. And now, they have nukes pointed at us.

If you've been awarded a Nobel Peace Prize, chances are, you were a goof. Mikhail Gorbachev, the darling of the Evil Empire, was awarded one, not Ronald Reagan. As was Yassir Arafat. Surely Saddam Hussein wasn't far from earning one himself.

George Bush Sr. showed Saddam no mercy when he invaded Kuwait, but Madeline Not-at-All-bright did. While she opposed military intervention in Iraq in both Gulf Wars, she supported Clinton's Impeachment Bombings of 1998 in Iraq and Serbia. She criticized the previous Bush Administration for not finishing the job that she didn't want to start in the first place.

Macfistowannabe said:
Pun intended for the Hollywood idiots.

Who exactly are the "hollywood idiots"?

Everyone in the entertainment business, or just those you don't agree with?

Why just hollywood? I never understood this obsession of attacking "these" people...:huh:

deep said:

So if Germany was not an ally of Japan, it would have been wrong to stop Hitler in his tracks? Would you have allowed Hitler to build nukes? It's a good thing we didn't need Germany and France's approval to go to war with Japan in WWII.

The Hamas, the Taliban, the PLO, The Baath Party... all contribute to terrorism in one way or another. The proper way to handle terrorist attacks is to ensure that they never happen again. Therefore, you eliminate terrorism where it grows.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Who exactly are the "hollywood idiots"?

Everyone in the entertainment business, or just those you don't agree with?

Why just hollywood? I never understood this obsession of attacking "these" people...:huh:
Hollywood Idiots (n)
1. Low IQ backstabbers, especially those who fly half way around the world to attack their own country.
2. Richard Gere
3. Cher
4. Sheryl Crow
5. Johnny Depp
6. etc.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Hollywood because they are the sewerpipe that feeds from the US, filled with people who portray average American citizens as dumb, loose, and irrational.

Back
Top Bottom