Beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Thats a nice one, isn´t it?

Wow.

The beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners

· Cosmetics firm targets UK market ·
Lack of regulation puts users at risk

Ian Cobain and Adam Luck
Tuesday September 13, 2005
The Guardian

A Chinese cosmetics company is using skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts to develop beauty products for sale in Europe, an investigation by the Guardian has discovered.
Agents for the firm have told would-be customers it is developing collagen for lip and wrinkle treatments from skin taken from prisoners after they have been shot. The agents say some of the company's products have been exported to the UK, and that the use of skin from condemned convicts is "traditional" and nothing to "make such a big fuss about".

With European regulations to control cosmetic treatments such as collagen not expected for several years, doctors and politicians say the discovery highlights the dangers faced by the increasing number of Britons seeking to improve their looks. Apart from the ethical concerns, there is also the potential risk of infection.

MPs on the Commons select health committee are to examine the regulatory system and may launch an investigation and question ministers about the need for immediate new controls. "I am sure that the committee will want to look at this," said Kevin Barron, its Labour chairman. "This is something everyone in society will be very concerned about."

Plastic surgeons are also concerned about the delay in introducing regulations to control the cosmetic treatments industry. Norman Waterhouse, a former president of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, said: "I am surprised that we are taking the lead from the European commission, because this is bound to delay action on this important area which is increasingly a matter for concern. It seems like a bit of a cop out to me."

It is unclear whether any of the "aesthetic fillers" such as collagen available in the UK or on the internet are supplied by the company, which cannot be identified for legal reasons. It is also unclear whether collagen made from prisoners' skin is in the research stage or is in production. However, the Guardian has learned that the company has exported collagen products to the UK in the past. An agent told customers it had also exported to the US and European countries, and that it was trying to develop fillers using tissue from aborted foetuses.

Traditional

When formally approached by the Guardian, the agent denied the company was using skin harvested from executed prisoners. However, he had already admitted it was doing precisely this during a number of conversations with a researcher posing as a Hong Kong businessman. The Press Complaints Commission's code of practice permits subterfuge if there is no other means of investigating a matter of public interest.

The agent told the researcher: "A lot of the research is still carried out in the traditional manner using skin from the executed prisoner and aborted foetus." This material, he said, was being bought from "bio tech" companies based in the northern province of Heilongjiang, and was being developed elsewhere in China.

He suggested that the use of skin and other tissues harvested from executed prisoners was not uncommon. "In China it is considered very normal and I was very shocked that western countries can make such a big fuss about this," he said. Speaking from his office in northern China, he added: "The government has put some pressure on all the medical facilities to keep this type of work in low profile."

The agent said his company exported to the west via Hong Kong."We are still in the early days of selling these products, and clients from abroad are quite surprised that China can manufacture the same human collagen for less than 5% of what it costs in the west." Skin from prisoners used to be even less expensive, he said. "Nowadays there is a certain fee that has to be paid to the court."

The agent's admission comes after an inquiry into the cosmetic surgery industry in Britain, commissioned by the Department of Health, pointed to the need for new regulations controlling collagen treatments. Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer, has highlighted the inquiry's concerns about the use of cadavers for cosmetic treatments. "Cosmetic procedures are a rapidly growing area of private health care," he said. "We must ensure we properly protect patients' safety by improving the training and regulation."

The DoH has agreed to the inquiry's recommendations, but is waiting for the European commission to draw up proposals for laws governing cosmetic products. It could be several years before this legislation takes force.

Meanwhile, cosmetic treatments, including those with with aesthetic fillers, are growing rapidly in popularity, with around 150,000 injections or implants administered each year in the UK. Lip enhancement treatments are one of the most popular, costing an average of £170.

Some fillers are made from cattle or pig tissue, and others from humans. The DoH believes that there may be a risk of transmission of blood-borne viruses and even vCJD from collagen containing human tissue. Although there is as yet no evidence that this has happened, the inquiry found that some collagen injections had triggered inflammatory reactions causing permanent discomfort, scarring and disfigurement. In their report, the inquiry team said that if there was a risk, "action should be taken to protect patient safety through regulation".

While new regulations are to be drawn up, the department is currently powerless to regulate most human-tissue fillers intended for injection or implant, as they occupy a legal grey area. Most products are not governed by regulations controlling medical products, as they are not classified as medicines. They also escape cosmetics regulations, which only apply to substances used on the surface of the skin and not those injected beneath it. The Healthcare Commission is planning new regulations for cosmetic surgery clinics next year, but these will not control the substances used by plastic surgeons.

Hand transplants

A number of plastic surgeons have told the Guardian that they have been hearing rumours about the use of tissue harvested from executed prisoners for several years.

Peter Butler, a consultant plastic surgeon and government adviser, said there had been rumours that Chinese surgeons had performed hand transplants using hands from executed prisoners. One transplant centre was believed to be adjacent to an execution ground. "I can see the utility of it, as they have access and no ethical objection," he said. "The main concern would be infective risk."

Andrew Lee of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, who has visited China to examine transplant techniques, said he had heard similar rumours.

Manufacturers of aesthetic fillers said they had seen Chinese collagen products on sale at trade fairs, but had not seen any labelled Chinese-made in the UK. Dan Cohen, whose US-based company, Inamed, produces collagen products, said: "We have come across Chinese products in the market place. But most products from China are being sold 'off-label' or are being imported illegally."

In China, authorities deny that prisoners' body parts are harvested without their consent. However, there is some evidence to suggest it may be happening.

In June 2001, Wang Guoqi, a Chinese former military physician, told US congressmen he had worked at execution grounds helping surgeons to harvest the organs of more than 100 executed prisoners, without prior consent. The surgeons used converted vans parked near the execution grounds to begin dissecting the bodies, he told the house international relations committee's human rights panel.

Skin was said to be highly valued for the treatment of burn victims, and Dr Wang said that in 1995 he skinned a shot convict's body while the man's heart was still beating. Dr Wang, who was seeking asylum in the US, also alleged that corneas and other body tissue were removed for transplant, and said his hospital, the Tianjin paramilitary police general brigade hospital, sold body parts for profit.

Human rights activists in China have repeatedly claimed that organs have been harvested from the corpses of executed prisoners and sold to surgeons offering transplants to fee-paying foreigners.

Dr Wang's allegations infuriated the Chinese authorities, and in a rare move officials publicly denounced him as a liar. The government said organs were transplanted from executed prisoners only if they and their family gave consent.

Although the exact number of people facing the death penalty in China is an official secret, Amnesty International believes around 3,400 were executed last year, with a further 6,000 on death row.

What is it?

Collagen is a major structural protein found in abundance in skin, bones, tendons and other connective tissue. Matted sheets of collagen give skin its toughness and by winding into molecular "cables", it adds strength to tendons.

What is it used for?

Collagen injections are used in cosmetic surgery to plump up lips and flatten out wrinkles. After botox, collagen injections are the second-most popular cosmetic operations in Britain. Collagen does not have a permanent effect and several injections are often needed.

What else is it good for?

Collagen was being put to good use as far back as the stone age. Neolithic cave dwellers around the Dead Sea are believed to have used it as a primitive form of glue some 8,000 years ago. More recently, researchers have developed a form that can be poured or injected into wounds to seal them.

Where does it come from?

A number of sources. Some companies extract it from cow skin and treat it to minimise the risk of allergic reactions or infection. Others collect it from human donors or extract cells from the patient before growing the necessary amount in a laboratory.

Is it safe?

Collagen can cause allergic reactions if it has not been treated correctly, and there is a theoretical risk of disease being passed on. A small amount of collagen is often injected into the skin a few weeks before treatment to test for possible allergic reactions. Earlier this year, Sir Liam Donaldson warned that collagen injections could spread conditions such as hepatitis and variant CJD, the human form of mad cow disease.

nbcrusader said:
Sadly, I bet we would see more outrage if the beauty products came from whales.

Or aborted fetuses. This goes both ways, you know.

Melon

They really haven't advanced any from Ancient Rome, which used fecal matter from animals for beauty products. I don't doubt that a fair portion of these prisoners are innocent, either.

I had heard about the fetus thing before, but I hadn't enough time to research if it was legit.. is it? Gads, this is aweful!

Kristie said:
I'm confused.

Is this bad because of lack of regulation?
Or because it's from prisoners?
Or because it's from dead people in general?

I´d say, No. 3, and No. 2.

u2bonogirl said:
I was just going to ask why nobody was upset about them harvesting it from dead babies either....

I am upset about that. I would like beauty products from (formerly) living beings, makes no difference whether its a foetus, a prisoner or whoever, its just bad that we take from other living beings to follow a beauty standard our estimated society has set up.

nbcrusader said:
Sadly, I bet we would see more outrage if the beauty products came from whales.

I´ll bet with you that Muslim women do less beauty operations than American housewives - because the Muslims don´t believe in "progress" that much. They would probably mark such a thing as evil.

Pretty disturbing how ill our society is, for a change. :shrug:

For Honor said:
This is way too close to cannibalism for me :eyebrow:

It has nothing to do with cannibalism, in my opinion. There is

>no symbolic meaning to it, no celebration;
>the prisoners are young and healthy, not old and weak, like it was the case in most cannibalistic traditions
>it happens without the consent of the prisoners, or foetuses
>collagen etc. are used to "enhance" beauty, its more about getting those substances and "recycle" the body, whereas cannibalism is not about beauty at all, but about the "everlasting life" of important community members, preserving their knowledge for the society they live in.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Yeah, that's...really disturbing...uh...

*Adds this to her list of reasons as to why she barely ever wears makeup*

Angela
Moonlit_Angel made a funny! :wink:

U2Girl1978 said:
omfg....Are you :censored: kidding me? :yuck: This is so disturbing.

AGREED! I am checking the ingredients carefully the next time I purchase make-up, that is fo shizzle!!:yikes:

A good reason to go vegetarian/vegan in your skin care products! :yes:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

It has nothing to do with cannibalism, in my opinion. There is

>no symbolic meaning to it, no celebration;
>the prisoners are young and healthy, not old and weak, like it was the case in most cannibalistic traditions
>it happens without the consent of the prisoners, or foetuses
>collagen etc. are used to "enhance" beauty, its more about getting those substances and "recycle" the body, whereas cannibalism is not about beauty at all, but about the "everlasting life" of important community members, preserving their knowledge for the society they live in.

I can dig what you're saying, but one thing I really don't understand:

"it happens without the consent of the prisoners, or foetuses"

and .... it would be different if it was with the consent of someone?

this reminds of me of something bono said during the launch of the edun clothing line--you don't want to be wearing despair (or something along those lines).

level of irony in using executed prisoners' bodies as an ingredient in beauty products is staggering. there's nothing beautiful about the death penalty, nothing beautiful about the Chinese government's justice system, nothing beautiful about exploiting people's bodies for profit after their untimely and unjust deaths.

wearing despair, indeed.

For Honor said:

I can dig what you're saying, but one thing I really don't understand:

"it happens without the consent of the prisoners, or foetuses"

and .... it would be different if it was with the consent of someone?

I pointed out the differences to cannibalism. There, it happens with the consent of those who get eaten. But that´s just what I heard, most details about those procedures are just oral tradition, and only if you study those phenomena a lot you have a chance to know the real background, not the obvious cliché one.

when I think of that African story :giggle: well, but this is for another time, maybe

Last edited:
Hey Carmela...

I doubt it the label is going to say, "Made from dead babies or Executed prisoners " on it.

More likely (and more to the point), if it says, 'Made in China" just assume the worst and boycott it. Most of your clothes, toys etyc are made in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan so you don't have a choice, but I'll bet if you did some research, you could find which companies use non-Chinese ingredients.

Amazing what Western governments will do to appease China. Without business ties to the all-important expanding Chinese market juaggurnaut, they tell us, the world economy would be a shambles. And yet, 10 yrs ago, China was still crawling upward...when they got Most Favored Nation trading stutus and more importantly, WTO status, that's when they took off. And now these govts complain aobut China's growing power, when they looked the other way while China did whatever they wanted in pursuit of growth. Want to know why we're doing nothing about genoicde in Darfur? China moved inot Sudan 8 yrs ago and establihsed business ties with the oil industry. China gets 7% of its oil from the genocidal Sudanese regime. I'll bet that even George W Bush would turn his head if a Chinese miltary product that the US (read: he) badly wanted was made from "human" products (not likely, but let's just say as a theory). He'd ignore even the protests of the Right. What the US needs is more important than dead babies--in THIS case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom