Bearing false witness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
One of the central commandments of Christianity is that thou must not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Bearing this in mind, a number of claims have been made by certain conservative Christians.

Specifically, conservative Christians have claimed that America is a Christian nation (false, as America was founded on liberty for all and separation of Church and state)

In addition, conservative Christians have claimed to be 100% correct in their interpretations of the Word of God. This in itself is clearly a blasphemy, as it consists of imperfect man claiming to know the will of God.

In addition, certain conservative Christians have been known pronounce the will of God as regards homosexuals, etc. Once again, this is blasphemy.

On the basis of the above, one can conclude that all the judgemental conservative Christians will go to Hell, on the basis of:

(1) Bearing false witness against their neighbour ( a serious sin )
and, more importantly,

(2) bearing false witness against the Holy Spirit (as in, misinterpreteting the Word of God for their own selfish ends)

an unforgivable sin, according to the Bible.

HEY!! Quit filling up hell with those people! Us heathens have enough problems dealing with them now...we sure don't want to be stuck with them in the hereafter. :madspit:

:D :wink:

Is this a serious post? You make a number of conclusionary statements only to serve as weak slams against Conservative Christians.

And speaking forth God's Word is not false witness against the Holy Spirit. Your own statements contridict Scripture.

nbcrusader said:
Is this a serious post?

Most definitely. I am most definitely serious about opposing conservative Christianity. In fact, I would give my life for it. Is that serious enough?

nbcrusader said:
Your own statements contridict Scripture.

I don't need an intermediary thanks. Don't tell me what does and does not contradict Scipture.

But you yourself are speaking for God through your own interperatation, what makes yours any more or less worthy than that of the majority of Conservative Christians?

Isn't what financeguy is stating exactly the same as people who interpret the bible in the ways he noted in his inital post? So why can they do it and be correct, but when he does it he is incorrect?

OK...who's got God's cell number?

financeguy said:
Not at all. I meant every word. Those kind of people are going to hell.

oh crap. I certainly hope there are two hells then, 'cause I've been told for decades now that I'm going to hell, and it would just suck big time to have to share it with those pompous fuckers...then again the looks on their faces would be priceless. :D

Last edited:
You bet you boots and your belt and your hat and anything else you wanna bet - THIS IS A SERIOUS POST and what's more -

financeguy has voiced the concerns and the opinions of MANY here that choose not to get into too many partisan political and religious debates because they (the debates) are fruitless

but are nonetheless ticked off at the inconsistencies and self-serving attitudes of conservative Christians who use the Bible ad naseum to attempt to try to further their own selfish agendas! :ohmy:

financeguy has beautifully spoken the truth - the same truth that Bono was trying to highlight about the inconsistencies of conservative Christian attitudes toward the AIDS pandemic as far back as 2002 in "Crumbs From Your Table" .

Using God to further your own earthly agendas is abominable to God - despised by God - and only paves one's own way to Hell. :yes:

So, kudos to financeguy - what a beautifully serious and truthful post.

One can run from God's judgment, but one can not hide.

YOU SPEAK IN SIGNS AND WONDERS, BUT I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:up:

I thank you for your kind words, Jamila.

And you are right - all have fallen short of the glory of God, as you imply.:yes:

financeguy said:

I don't need an intermediary thanks. Don't tell me what does and does not contradict Scipture.

Omnipotence does not suit you.

And I applaud you for your honesty about hating conservative Christians. At least we all know where you are coming from.

Where as I think some of your comments may be stretching it a bit, I do understand where you are coming from. I don't think anyone is committing an UNFORGIVABLE sin.

The problem is so many today are trying to speak for God and stopped listening to God. We are not God's mouthpiece. This is where many and I hate to say it so many "conservative Christians" are failing.

I never have and never will speak for God. I pray that God speaks through me in my actions and word, but never will I claim that I speak for God.

Jamila said:
Using God to further your own earthly agendas is abominable to God - despised by God - and only paves one's own way to Hell. :yes:

So, kudos to financeguy - what a beautifully serious and truthful post.

Your own biases and hatred shine in yet another post :applaud:

nbcrusader said:

Omnipotence does not suit you.

And I applaud you for your honesty about hating conservative Christians. At least we all know where you are coming from.

A total and utter misintrepretation of what I said, as I never claimed "omnipotence". A case of bearing false witness, I would have thought?

Some of us here realise that turning the other cheek is an important part of Christianity.

Last edited:
is everybody forgetting about one thing here?
Bono wrote about it
its called grace. Its what makes it okay to forgive people and for God to forgive them as well.
It makes bad situations good, and terrible ones bearable.
Just because somebody does something it doesnt condemn them to hell.
havent you ever done something terrible to somebody else?
dont you know what it feels like to be pardoned for something you didnt deserve to be let off of?
:shrug: whatever

financeguy said:
Most definitely. I am most definitely serious about opposing conservative Christianity. In fact, I would give my life for it.

Giving your life to oppose something? Sounds pretty hateful to me.

"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy;
when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall
be a light unto me."

(Micah Chapter 7, verse 8)

A beautiful verse, NBC Crusader, let us agree upon that if nothing else.

Laying your life down in the fight against conservative christianity, I will join you in that fight when large numbers of conservative christians begin supporting extremist elements who want to kill us all.

u2bonogirl said:
do you even believe in Jesus? Its kinda stupid to push that into somebodys face if you dont even believe in what youre using against them

You're missing the point. I was accused of certain sins by a self-proclaimed Christian, I threw his hypocrisy back in his face. I was the one that turned the other cheek.

financeguy said:

You're missing the point. I was accused of certain sins by a self-proclaimed Christian, I threw his hypocrisy back in his face. I was the one that turned the other cheek.
I agree that christians have no right to be accusing you of anything. actually its really none of their business.
It irks me when christians go around acting all holy when theyre probably at home yelling at their wife or screwing someone over at work.
but still, using something aganst somebody that you dont even believe in is kinda lame

A_Wanderer said:
Laying your life down in the fight against conservative christianity, I will join you in that fight when large numbers of conservative christians begin supporting extremist elements who want to kill us all.

A_Wanderer you're better than this. When was the last time that a large number of conservative Christians began to support extremist elements?

Or are you trying to point out that the only religous group supporting extremist elements are the Muslims and thus Conservative Christians are our allies during this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom