Beach volleyball players: Did anyone else notice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Carrie, I think we are on the same page on the issue in general.

Perhaps the choice made by a few athletes makes it more difficult for the rest.

Beach volleyball in general was not presented with the same ideals as other Olympic sports. The "entertainment" factor was present in many ways, including rock music during breaks and the Canary Island dancing girls.

I guess this is a problem when you create Olympic events. Beach volleyball was transplanted from the beach. And many of the elements unassociated with Olympic sports were brought along as well.

Ok yes, I can definitely see what you are saying. Some athletes' decisions can make it harder for all athletes concerning this issue. It's hard to force the audience to take you seriously when others in your sport appeared in magazines the week before. But the difficulty is compounded when the flimsy bikini rule is enforced. That has to go along with what you were saying about beach volleyball being presented as an entertainment factor. It's a shame that that is how women's sports are marketed (we hear so much more about volleyball than the undefeated softball team), and as long as that does happen, other women's sports that show less skin will get less tv coverage, and less of a chance to build an audience. :tsk:

Last edited:
redir.asp

:drool:

I'm such a valuable addition to this topic. :wink:

Taking this back to a more serious level..... :wink:

I think that perhaps one of the reasons people are less negative about women's PDA is that women are just more affectionate by nature.

.....and that's about it. If I had some hot May/Walsh pics, I'd post them. Because, even for being a straight girl, I think they're smokin'. :D

The reason that the women doing it is less taboo is because women (for the most part) don't seem to mind it. As NameOfLove19 stated, women are instinctively more affectionate, a byproduct of giving birth. So because it seems to always have been less of an issue for women to hug and such, it's got less historical and traditional stigma for a woman to hug or kiss another woman than it is for a man to do it to another man.

Case in point, sports have always been largely male-dominated. For thousands of years, women weren't even allowed to watch sporting events. It was a men only environment for thousands of years, which led rise to a man patting another man on the ass as a congratulatory measure. It happens in every hockey game, during just about every line change, one guy coming on taps the guy coming off in the arse with his stick. It happens in every football game, every baseball game, and every basketball game. It's not gay; it's congratulatory and both players and spectators know that. Hell, the guys beach volleyball did it all the time after a good spike or dig. But that's something these guys would NEVER do outside the rink or the beach or the field or the court. Those are the social mores of our time.

I don't believe for a second that Misty May and Kerry Walsh are lesbians (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It's just the sporting culture. You get very isolated little societies when you have teams together. Social taboos seem to have less effect the smaller the group you have.

I don't know where I'm going with this and my train of thought just left the station so I'll get back to this later if need be.

i don't think all of it has to do with women having a more nurturing nature. It has a lot to do with socialization, (most) people will do (or not do) what is expected of them. In some european countries it is socially acceptable for men to kiss each other on the cheek when meeting, etc.

I think claiming women as more affectionate as a byproduct of a maternal instinct, is a scientific stretch at best.

Our concepts of gender have alot to do with socialization. When you read accounts of the Renaissance and on, men were much more openly affectionate to each other.

In accounts of 17th and 18th century America, the closeness shown between men and women is a real puzzle. Are these closet homosexuals? Or was it more socially acceptable? Most believe the latter.

I believe the U.S. and Canada have very rigid definitions of what constitutes "masculine" and "feminine" due to how our respective countries began--work your own land, rugged individualism and all that. Men were the ones who conquered the land, women followed and brought the culture and civilization. I think you see this influence even today.

Actually, I know a lesbian couple who has heard that May and Walsh are lesbians, but I suppose that's beside the point.

oliveu2cm said:

So what if some pose in men's magazines- does that mean they should all be regulated to play a sport in bikinis (that ride up and offer no cloth material to wipe sweat). :huh:

I don't follow beach volleyball -- does it say anywhere in the rules that women must play in bikinis?

If not, I think your argument loses its steam.

Back
Top Bottom